PDA

View Full Version : Server....Who...What...When

Nakor TheBlue Rider
10-06-2003, 10:36 PM
So If say 10 people get the game the same day and all create characters will they all get on the same server.

Or is it random.

I hope they just fill up one server at a time so that theres more chance I can get on the right server as the rest of the WLA.

Does anyone know how the server thing works.

Cuz I know world passes only last so long and i dont want to have to keep getting people to buy them for me.

I'd rather buy them for someone else.

Rostum
10-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Well, it would make sense for Square to do that. Considering if not, there'd be alot of lonely players in seperate servers.

From what I recall, worldpasses allow you to create a new character in a server where your friend invited you to. It doesn't run out, unless you delete that character. Now I'm not totaly certain about this, someone please back me up! ^_^;;

SubMatrix
10-08-2003, 03:36 PM
When you create a new character you are automatically placed in the server with the lowest population. Since Square is has added an additional 8 servers that are U.S. only people will be put into those 8 to begin with. They will not be filling up on server at a time. For example, the first 8 players to sign up will be on different servers (one on each different server).

As for being invited via a world pass, it doesn't run out. During the character creation process there is a box that says "server" that you can type in. Once you have access to a server, either the first server you started it, or any other ones that you've gained access to through world passes, you can type in that server name to be in it. Theoretically, if someone from every server gave you a world pass and you activated them all (though never created any characters on them) you could then have your pick of servers to be on by typing in the server name. If you do not have access to a server it is my understanding that the game simply ignores your entry.

Leighton

Nakor TheBlue Rider
10-08-2003, 07:23 PM
ohh so then If The first member of WLA to get the game Gives everyone else a world pass they can all go create chars there so we can all be on the same server?

Valarm
10-09-2003, 12:52 AM
Sorry if am a little skeptical, defiantly not trying to be rude or challenge you, but were did you get that information from? I just want to know magazine, web site any thing other then other forums or word of mouth. It just seems that this world pass thing keeps changing every day.

My impression was when you make your character you are put on a random sever. If you have a world pass and you type the number of the world pass under your characters name when you create it you are put on that server and that character could only be on that server.

So if you made your first character without a world pass it would be on that server alone. And thus any other character you make would also be on that server, unless you had a world pass. If you had a world pass the character you used it for would go to that server and only be able to be on that server.

So if this is true, I just want to see for myself. It would make a great difference on who your linkshell would acquire world passes once the game is released.

Thank you.

SubMatrix
10-09-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Valarm
Sorry if am a little skeptical, defiantly not trying to be rude or challenge you, but were did you get that information from?

I have a good friend who speaks Japanese, he translated Square's website for me. When you first create a character you are put into a random server, and all new characters created are put on that server (even if you delete your first character). However, once you recieve a World Pass, you will still have access to any other server on which you created a character (if you delete the character on that server, you're still "flagged" for access).

I'll do this with an example because I'm the kind of person that you can explain something to me 27 times or just give me one example.

Let's say I create a character on server A. All my friends play on server B, so they send me a World Pass. I activate the pass and create a new character. (I'm not sure if when you create the character if it automatically sends your new character to the server you just got a World Pass to if you still have to type it in in the server box during character creation). I now have a character on server A and server B. I plan on staying with B so I delete my character off server A to save a buck a month. Another friend of mine wants me to join server C. This friend stole my tank top without asking so I tell her to go to hell and ignore her pass. After one week the pass is invalid. If I had chosen to activate the pass I would then be able to join that server. I'm not sure if you actually have to create a character on the server or if just activating the Pass gives you permanent access but I do know that even if you delete the character you will still be able to access that server if you want by means of the "Server" box during character creation.

I hope this has made a bit more sense, if you have any more questions just ask.

Leighton

Valarm
10-09-2003, 06:46 AM
One more question just cause I'm still a little fogy about the server actcess. And to make sure I understand you right.

1. So when I get a world pass and use it for say Server B to be with my friends, the character I used it for is the only character that can access Server B.

2. And/or every new character after that I make from now on I will be able to which server, A or B, for that character to be on.

And Final Question:

Lets say after creating my seconed character for Server B to be with my friends. Will I be able to move between each server, A or B, with that character every time I log on? Or like I said in #1 once a character is on that server its there for good.

And thanks for answering so soon.:D

SubMatrix
10-09-2003, 01:39 PM
1. No, once you have at least one character that has been on server B you can add as many more as you want to either server A or server B (assuming you made a character on server A and keeping in mind the 15 character limit).

2. Yes, you just have to type the name of the sever into the server option box during character creation or else it defaults to either the last server played on, or the last server you created a character on.

3. It's there for good, characters are tied to the servers the were created on. There are currently no methods known for transferring characters, such as EQ's pay $50 to lose all your gear and switch servers.

Leighton