PDA

View Full Version : optimising programs, or virtual ram, or something...

Peegee
10-08-2003, 05:28 AM
Warcraft 3 starts to get laggy when too many units are around. This is obvious of course, but what I'd like to know is whether I can do something about it.

My virtual memory setting is already at max (4096megs), so I don't know what else to do. I have a 2.2 ghz processor with a gig of ram, and it's not really doing much (the program ends up using ~300 megs of ram sometimes).

Is there something I can do to make things easier on me?

crono_logical
10-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Run the game in a lower resolution and/or lower detail textures perhaps, or get a better graphics card :p Closing any background tasks like messengers or web/ftp/irc/other servers and clients might help too. 300 MB doesn't seem much, ePSXe goes beyond 500 MB for me at times :p

m4tt
10-08-2003, 03:17 PM
A new graphics card would probably be best. On my old computer I used to have that slow down with games like that.. Since I got my new computer with a very new graphics card, I haven't had any slow down at all. I only have 512 mb of ram too..

crono_logical
10-08-2003, 03:21 PM
My laptop's graphics card is more powerful than my PC's, and plays games much more smoothly at higher resolutions than the PC can at lower ones, and the laptop only has a quarter the amount of RAM installed than the PC has :p

Peegee
10-08-2003, 04:48 PM
I already own a radeon (lol...) 7500...isn't that good enough?

crono_logical
10-08-2003, 06:15 PM
I don't have the game to test it on, but that's what's in my laptop :p Try the other stuff we said then, like lowering the resolution and detail :p