PDA

View Full Version : Basis of FFXI?

Rizzice
10-08-2003, 06:51 AM
Okay, so what do you really do in this game? When you're starting off, what are you supposed to do? The EOFF sorta confused me for the skill/tp thingys, and I'm planning to be ready for this game, so I want to make sure I know everything in advance. Ie:
1. Whats the best class, and what is their second classes?

2. How many skills can you raise?

3. If you can't raise stats, hows that differentiate you from others?

4. Is this game better than RO?

5. Whats the max level you can be?

6. How hard is it to level up?

7. Can you level up skills: (Ie: fishing like runescape, or smithing or whatever)

8. Will there ever be PvP?

9. How much time is usually played on this FFXI? Is it easy to get bored with? Usually I play RO like 3 hours a day...

Thanks.

Rostum
10-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Alright, let me have a snap at this.

1. Whats the best class, and what is their second classes?
There is no "best" class job, all job's are useful. I'm not too sure what you mean by "what is their second classes" though. You can have a main job, and a subjob at the same time. You need to complete a quest in order to use the subjob, and they can be whatever job you want as long as you've unlocked it.

2. How many skills can you raise?
Umm... alot? There's tons and tons of skills you can raise for each job class. You may want to look around on different websites dedicated to FFXI to find out.

3. If you can't raise stats, hows that differentiate you from others?
You do raise stats by gaining levels for each job and using stat raising items.

4. Is this game better than RO?
I have played RO, and I can tell you, it's defenatly not going to be better than FFXI. FFXI is a huge place compared to, and the player base seems to be more friendly. That and there's more options to choose from.

5. Whats the max level you can be?
At the moment, the level cap is at 70. They raise the level cap at times though, so it may even get upto 255.

6. How hard is it to level up?
I'm not too positive about this, but I'm guessing through later levels it gets harder and harder and more time consuming.

7. Can you level up skills: (Ie: fishing like runescape, or smithing or whatever)
Yes, you certainly can. :)

8. Will there ever be PvP?
Square have said there is PvP in the game, but they just haven't activated it yet. I heard they may immplement it properly in the next year or so.

9. How much time is usually played on this FFXI? Is it easy to get bored with?
It's just a matter of opinion, you'll probably play FFXI more than you have on RO. Personally I cannot see myself getting bored anytime soon with it.

There's ALOT to do on it now, and it's only th beggining, there's going to be upgrades / expansions in the future, you can bet on it. ;)

I hope that answered all your questions to your satisfactory, someone else please contribute because I'm not sure with some of them.

Lionx
10-09-2003, 07:24 AM
6. over 6 hours it can if ur high lvled. Simply if u cant put 2 hours into playing, u wont move an inch. Dying at high lvls also hampers u up to half an hour at least of lvling time because u lose 10% of ur exp. In other words, dont die.

9. Alot of time, you will spend more than 1000 hours on FFXI without expansion alone if you want to do everything. ^^

Rostum
10-09-2003, 07:29 AM
Heh, well there you go. Some inside scoop from a beta tester!

If you have anymore questions don't be afraid to ask them, or you could find out at www.ffxionline.com, that always helps me! xD

Rizzice
10-09-2003, 11:17 PM
mmm so how fast will I get used to FFXI? And I'm already pretty high leveled on my knight in RO, should I still quit? is FFXI THAT much better?

Lionx
10-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Having played RO before ithink this beats it by a mile.

By lvl 15 at the most u should get used to the world to its fullest.

Grand Lethal
10-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Yes, FFXI is very easy to get used to, but be prepared to spend a lot of time at it. You can usually level a job to 10 in a few hours, but after that it can take anywhere from an hour-4 hours to gain a level (depending on the party yuo are in). There are some quests that you will have to be able to spend lots of time doing to get finished, so make sure you have at least on day a week you can sit in front of FFXI for a long time. Trust me, this game is like 10,000 X better tha RO... RO has no point but gaining levels and buying armor.. it has no direction. FFXI is all about quests, Mssions, and getting to know people.

Rizzice
10-11-2003, 10:35 PM
so hows the FFXI community? is it better than RO?.. there are alot of jackasses in RO =\.. and also does it take alot of partying to level, cuz sometimes i have like 15 minutes to play, and I don't think i can get a party in 15 minutes =\(but i dont really know how the party system works anyways)

Rostum
10-11-2003, 11:36 PM
Well, it's just finishing beta right now, but from what I've heard it's a WAY better community than RO. I've played RO myself, and the only decent person I found was Lionx! Only got to play for a few hours and got lost! =P

You'll find at lower levels that it's easier to solo, but later on at higher levels you'd need to party. Partying would be much more fun than soloing, trust me. So you should, if you decide to get FFXI, sacrafice 4 hours on a weekend or stay up late. But yeah, this is only from what I've heard.

Krystic_WLA
10-11-2003, 11:57 PM
well like any mmorpg out there you have to spend time with this game, not too much time were it takes over your whole go damn life! but if you play a few hours everyweekend, or if you spend some time at night you will progress well in the game....

...it was surprising to see sooo many people between8 and 12 oclock at night, the night life is big in FF...enjoy it.

Rostum
10-12-2003, 12:14 AM
The only bad thing I can imagine, is that I live in Australia and the time zones will no doubt be different to all you guys, so it's going to be hard to see some of ya's.

Rizzice
10-12-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Omecle
but later on at higher levels you'd need to party.

so if you don't you won't get anywhere? T_T.. cuz like i said, sometimes i'm just on and off, i doubt anyone wants to party with someone like that

also, are there any links that i can see, that will give me a full overview + description of how to play?

and whats the most-like Swordsman/Knight(agi) on FFXI?(what class?)

Rostum
10-12-2003, 06:11 AM
Go to www.ffxionline.com and have a look around there.

If I were you I wouldn't bother getting FFXI, youc an't just hop on for 15 minutes each day or few days and think you'll get anywhere, it's not like that.

Swordsman/Knight- Warrior, Dark Knight, Paladin, Dragoon... well they use spears don't they? Umm... Ninja, Samahri? I don't know.

Rizzice
10-12-2003, 06:28 AM
No i mean not 15 minutes a day, but I'd prolly play 4 hours~ a day, but i can't always play for a long period at a time..

Rostum
10-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Well as long as you have around 5 hours a week I guess it's all good.

Krystic_WLA
10-12-2003, 05:34 PM
yes 5 hours is a good amount of time to spend on this game, and maybe another 3 hours over the weekend?

school is such a damn factor!

Rizzice
10-12-2003, 06:32 PM
so... would this probably be the best RPG that will be out? @_@... cuz i don't wanna keep switching games...
I mean.. whats FFXI compared to WoW or Unreal II, or maybe some other ones that are coming out in the future?

Ichy
10-12-2003, 06:44 PM
I go to school everyday, work an additional 12-18 hours a week, and in a recent study of my agenda in a time management class I discovered that I still seem to find roughly 74 hours a week for my current online gaming addictions... That number has been dwindling of late, been taking more shifts to pay off my visa from a couple of books I needed to buy for Netwoking class... And I'm just starting to get tired of the same things everyday in the same game. If FFXI has as many quests and missions and progress oriented goals for players to shoot for as I'm seeing about the internet's few good resources on it, instead of just mission + kill = ding and "Gee, I hope I get the uber loot", then I'm going to be quite happy to migrate the majority of my MMORPG time over to it

Krystic_WLA
10-12-2003, 07:12 PM
74 hours? does that include sleep?

Ichy
10-12-2003, 07:30 PM
My sleeping amounted to roughly 34 hours aside from everything else. One of the reasons I have that high of a playing time is because whenever I eat, I never stop what I'm doing. Eat at school, do it at my desk while I work, eat at work, do it in the back room and re-arrange and count stock, eat at home, PC's on the coffee table, I just keep playing. Hell, when I'm watching TV all I have to do is shift my head a foot to the right past my monitor to see it, so there again I don't stop playing. Dunno, just love being on my computer. Aside from getting tattooed it's pretty much all the passion I have left nowadays.

Grand Lethal
10-12-2003, 08:08 PM
The community is way more productive than RO, it is very well set up.

As for needing time, if you can fnd a good group, they won't mind if you take off for a few minutes to do something and keep you in the PT to gain exp... I did this numerous times in Qufim, where one member would leave and we'd keep leveling with them sitting off to the side AFK.

Its all about teamwork and helping those that need it. if you get in a PT with me, you'd be alright. I have decided that even though I want to be a DRK in the end, I wil still start as WHM because it was so much fun and so easy to get into a leveling PT and get to level 30 and do all the quests.

Rizzice
10-14-2003, 12:03 AM
bump on my last post.. whats FFXI compared to upcoming/already-made MMORPG's?

Masamune-X
10-14-2003, 04:35 AM
I play 32 hours a week yay! lol

Rostum
10-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Well I saw a chart, which I forget the address at this moment, and the statistics wern't made up I can assure you. But FFXI is currently the 2nd best MMORPG at the moment, with Everquest soaring over it at the moment, which you'd expect seeing as it has a large fanbase.

Lionx
10-14-2003, 11:02 AM
But FFXI is currently the 2nd best MMORPG at the moment, with Everquest soaring over it at the moment

Isnt that like most sales or something? O-o

Rostum
10-14-2003, 11:08 AM
I think it was most players, which I'm guessing is the amount of people that like playing it. Could be wrong though.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
10-14-2003, 11:34 AM
I would bet Money on It that FFXI and Ever Quest 2 Stay in Close Competition Once FFXI releases here and has a few Months to fill up with People.

Rizzice
10-15-2003, 02:06 AM
does anyone know how good World of Warcraft is going to be compared to FFXI?

Rostum
10-15-2003, 07:06 AM
Well, I've played Warcraft III online before, didn't like it too much. I think FFXI will be a bit better, but isn't it a different type of game?

Sorry, I got games mixed up. I don't know what WoW is like, I heard it's more expensive in payments per month. Maybe you could try both? If you have the money that is.

Ichy
10-15-2003, 11:40 AM
I plan on keeping my AO account open from time to time, just so I don't loose my toons... Stupid Funcom purges every 3 months. Basically, if both games store a players vital game information for a long term, you can bunker down and decide which one you're playing for that month, then re-activate and cancel accounts accordingly.

Example: first 30 days of FFXI are free, so I'll have both accounts running. If I love it, AO's cancelled 2 months and re-activated on the third, during which time I decide which game I'll be on the most. If it's AO, then FFXI is cancelled until the server is close to being purged or I otherwise feel like getting back on sooner. This way I'm rarely paying for both and I don't loose any of the in-game benefits derived from my hours of plugging away at the games.

Rizzice
10-15-2003, 10:52 PM
whats AO?

Valarm
10-15-2003, 11:03 PM
I think it's Anarchy Online. *shrugs* But I'm not sure.

Ichy
10-16-2003, 02:42 AM
Yep, it's Anarchy Online, best game I've ever played... Though hopefully not for long, it'll be pretty tough to beat. Going into FFXI with enthusiasm and an open mind, and I've been waiting for it as long as most people here, so I'm sure it'll be as great as the playing I put into it :)