PDA

View Full Version : what if you buy a new comp after you own the game

Inuyasha23
10-13-2003, 04:07 PM
i was read the thread about the deals with dell and buying a new computer just to play the game.

But what happens if you have the game and then you buy a new computer. do you have to register again? of corse i am an idiot so feel free to tell me.

Ichy
10-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Accout info for most of these games is stored serverside, so you'll have to re-install the app itself, but you'll be able to log in normally once that's done.

Now, if their smart they'll allow the game to store map and general graphics info clientside as you pass through zones for the first time, hence speeding up loading times each visit thereafter... If you re-installed the game under those circumstances you would find it a bit laggy the first time going to all your favorite spots for the first time on your new system.

Lionx
10-13-2003, 07:33 PM
They store everything except characters and major stuff on your computer so every area is easy to load and about the same time no matter the connection.

Ichy
10-13-2003, 07:35 PM
Sweet. :)

Nakor TheBlue Rider
10-14-2003, 11:25 AM
Very Sweet Indeed....

However For people with small Hard Drives on there Comps it could be a Problem.

No Problem to me I got my 80 Gig.

Rostum
10-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Can you install the same game on two computers? Meaning, say you have a copy of FFXI and it's installed on one computer, and then when you buy another computer, can you install it on that or would you need to buy a whole new game?

Ichy
10-14-2003, 01:11 PM
You can install it on multiple systems, for sure, and play it from either of them as well... Once again I'm assuming this based on what I've seen from other games. You will not, however, be able to log in under one account from 2 locations simultaneously. This would allow some users to multi-assist and consequently ruin the equality of the game for everyone else.

Of course.... one could just as easily get 2 accounts and lock a WMs cure spell action on his Warrior... If one were willing to spend that kind of money just to get an easy ride.

Rostum
10-15-2003, 07:32 AM
Heh, there'd be no point to the game then! I'm playing for a huge challenge, and having fun with friends.

Ichy
10-15-2003, 11:53 AM
I'm playing for fun. My entire life revolves around entertainment. If there's challenge, that's ok, just so long as it doesn't frustrate me too much... That stops the fun. As for multi-assisting, yeah, it's way too much effort for the amount of benefit and that stops the fun, too. Besides, no legit player in his/her right mind one respect someone for doing it... And it wouldn't be difficult in the slightest for a GM to spot it, either... if they actually have any policies about someone doing it with two seperate accounts... Bah, they should.

Aerio
10-15-2003, 12:48 PM
I play EQ until the game comes out and its called 2 - boxing and many people want someone to do it when they're short on a certain class for a raid...but people in FFXI have different playing styles I guess :) O well....I never had the money to 2 box anys lol....I'd use my friends account with a cleric and have someoen get on mine when I couldn't find a rez but thats as close as I got...