PDA

View Full Version : Xp-Error! I really need help!!

krishna-das
10-13-2003, 10:08 PM
T_T
Hi Evreyone! Thanx for reading this, i am really appreciate. look i really need help.
Whenever i am trying to update my msn Or try to instell a software. It says:
Could not acess network location <common administrative tools>. All users/.
The it says try again or cancel, after pressing cancel
Then, this anothe rbox comes up saying:
"Error code 1603"
My computer has
304 mb ram
1.90 gb left
pentium 3
667 mhz
It,s been 1 year i have this probleme, now its getting into my nerve. T_T Please someone tell me how to fix this probleme.
Please help!!!!!

Citizen Bleys
10-13-2003, 11:26 PM
It sounds like what happened is that your OS was installed from a network share, so instead of prompting you for an XP CD when you try to add/remove system components, it tries to go to the network instead.

Is there a browse button present? If so, try putting your XP CD in the CD-ROM drive and browsing to it. Or, if there is a directory called i386 anywhere on your hard drive, just browse to that.

krishna-das
10-14-2003, 02:26 AM
thanx for responding citizen bleys. nop sorry no browsing. i,ll try i386. can u ask a pro or something or do u know any other way. laterz

crono_logical
10-14-2003, 02:59 AM
Well, since it's looking for the installation files, you need them somewhere when it wants them, like in an i386 folder or on a CD as Bleys said.

If you want to disable that network error message though, you can install Powertoys for XP (from the MS site), run TweakUI for XP, and change the Installation Path under Special Folders to either the CD drive if you have an installation CD, or a folder on the HD so it doesn't have to attempt to scour the network. You'll still get an error message asking for the installation files if you pick a folder that doesn't contain them, but it should be much faster at realising they're not around.

krishna-das
10-15-2003, 03:38 AM
Thanx, crono but lol, i can,t even instell those programmes. same thing:
could not acess network location
< common administrative tools >.all users/.
Error 1606.
< common administrative tools >.all users/.
T_T this is the worsest computer probeleme of the century. T_T
Ok how do i do the i386 thing. I did search the folders is full with lots of files and stuff. what do i exactly do.
Thanx for responding.

crono_logical
10-15-2003, 08:59 AM
By copying the i386 folder off the installtion CD to your HD :p

Citizen Bleys
10-15-2003, 03:29 PM
More specific, cl_out, more specific.

Just put the XP CD in your CD-ROM drive, press and hold the Windows key while pressing E, and click the plus sign next to your CD-ROM drive. Then, drag the i386 folder onto your hard drive. Then you'd go download PowerToys for Windows XP and find the setting that specifies the location of your installation files, and tell it to go to c:\i386.

If you don't have an XP CD, you need to go to the place where you got your computer/where they installed XP, and tell them that it keeps looking for the network, so you need the i386 directory for XP.