PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed...

Rinoas'_evil_twin
10-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Has anyone else noticed that nearly all of the lead characters in FF have swords? (This is only from VII onwards - I haven't played the others)

Breine
10-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Yes I have... It's actually kind of weird. But hey, swords are cool :D

Shoyku
10-14-2003, 05:04 PM
In VIII Squall uses a Gunblade, technically, that's not a sword. In IX, Zidane uses more of a double sided dagger than a sword.

m4tt
10-14-2003, 05:05 PM
Zidane uses Daggers, actually.

edit: dammit shoyku. :p

Flying Mullet
10-14-2003, 05:08 PM
And in FFXII the hero will wield moldy fillets of flounder.

I guess Square goes with the steroypical hero in the sense that they carry a sharp metal object for poking the baddies.

Garland
10-15-2003, 05:08 AM
Swords take precedence over guns and other weapons solely for heroism. Ranged characters often have a 'safe' feeling about them. They can attack from far away and are at less risk than the melee characters. This makes them seem less brave. Heroes have to be brave. Heroes also have to be strong. That's why they typically use swords - big swords. Giving a hero a big sword shows before you even play the game that the character is brave and strong. You know he's direct, as the sneaky characters always get daggers. The choice of weapons does almost as much for characterization as the game's introduction.

Cz
10-15-2003, 04:36 PM
When a lot of people think 'fantasy' they think 'swords'. The secondary character (usually the love interest) tends to use magic, which is another big fantasy theme.

Brian The Pink Shark
10-16-2003, 07:20 PM
Swords rule, it's kinda tradition for a hero to carry a sword, a sword is much more painfull than a gun anyway.

Pancaek
10-17-2003, 03:11 AM
Yes, nearly every lead character (in the games that can be considered to have lead characters) uses a sword, or at least has the option to. I really wish they'd have the main character use something else once in a while.

Garland
10-17-2003, 03:17 AM
Final Fantasy 9 stands out in that regard, Skye-chan. It has the swordsman Steiner playing second fiddle to the dagger weilding Zidane. A traditional FF would've placed Steiner as the lead. Considering how hard FF9 tried to be a culmination of every FF tradition preceding it, it's odd that they took new ground here.

DJZen
10-24-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Squinn
Swords rule, it's kinda tradition for a hero to carry a sword, a sword is much more painfull than a gun anyway.

You know this from experience?

Seriously though, swords are the "standard" weapon. They're the Ryu of weapons. Look through a catalogue of weapon replicas, you'll find more swords than anything else. Swords were the most common weapons throughout the middle ages, the period romanticized by fantasy movies/books/games. It's not so much that they were popular, they were versatile. Spears and axes are big and heavy, bows and guns have limited use at close range. Knifes are.... well.... Knives are small, and small offends the male ego :p I wouldn't mind seeing a main character weild a different weapon though. Spears are cool, how about spears?

eestlinc
10-24-2003, 06:22 AM
for fun, play ff5 and make Butz your magic user.

sephiroth21
11-11-2003, 01:12 AM
im sorry, does anyone have a problem with kick ass swords. (like clouds+sephy and squalls just because its shiny. so any one with a problem with swords then leave and never play ff agin!!!

sephiroth21
11-11-2003, 01:15 AM
sorry i ment to post this(i found it needed in this this thread):