PDA

View Full Version : Unexplained things in FFIV

Rase
10-15-2003, 12:33 AM
Okay, basically answer any Q's ya can and post any ya have. And yes, there are probably SPOILERS!
For example: What is with Golbezs' HP? The battle versus Tellah it's more that 10,000, the battle in Dwarf Castle it's 2000 - 2500 and on the moon it's something else.
Also, what's with Cecil's hair? In the Status Portrait and the "Official Squaresoft Drawing" it's white. But on the World Map and in battle it's purple. That's a big difference.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-15-2003, 08:40 PM
The only unexplained thing in FFIV that bothers me it the Tower of Zot.

Dignified Pauper
10-16-2003, 12:33 AM
That has always bothered me as well, why it's there and never explained.

Another thing i didn't like was Kain's background with Rosa was slightly fuzzy, but it is fun to make your own story.

Cecil's mother is NEVER mentioned

It would have been cool to be given a glimpse of Klu Ya

I think they should make a sequel beginning when the Lunarians wake up.

Outsider
10-16-2003, 07:57 AM
Ah, I guess that Kain only had a crush on Rosa, but they have no past history... It was clear, I guess... They were just friends.

But they should explain betteer Cecil's past and the Lunarian's history, too...

And one other thing... When you're in the land of summoned monsters, you can see that there's another floor, with 4 chests in it... There's a way to get it? Cuz I remember I lost a few hours of my life trying to find a way to get it, but I never could....

TheAbominatrix
10-16-2003, 08:03 AM
Yeah, I dont think there was much between Kain and Rosa.

But yes, you can get to those chests. On the first floor of the little 'town', there's a shadowed part that looks different from the rest. Step in it, and there you go. If you cant find it, just walk in all the shadows.

Outsider
10-16-2003, 08:29 AM
I LOVE YOU!

I'll try it... I don't care if I have to play the whole game once again (it'll be a pleasure), but I have to get...

EDIT - I had a save state, and I jut found it... It was in my face, I guess it was the only spot I missed, I can't believe it... Thank you.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Cain and Rosa apparently did have a romantic past, actually, before she got with Cecil. Naturally, these kind of inner demons were just the sort that made it easy for Cain to be mind-controlled. It's all explained in some supplementary literature. The Man could tell you all about it.

TheAbominatrix
10-16-2003, 01:08 PM
I didnt see anything implied to that extent, maybe I'm just missing it. The way I see it, it's always been this sort of 'unrequited love' on Kain's part. But oh well.

Anyway, no problem Outsider. That's always a pain for me to find, too.

Butz
10-23-2003, 11:53 AM
thanks a lot...

i always wanted to get those chests...

muchacho
11-04-2003, 05:38 AM
I always thought that Cain and Rosa had a sorta Lancelot and Guienever (leave me alone about that name) thing going. Cecil was a man's man. He wielded the light, he was a Paladin, King's favorite, used swords. Rosa loved Cecil but secretly had a thing for Cain. Cain was always second man to Cecil, and IMO thats why Zemus could control him.

For example: What is with Golbezs' HP? The battle versus Tellah it's more that 10,000, the battle in Dwarf Castle it's 2000 - 2500

well, it probably had something to do with the fact that Meteo is the ultimate destructive black magic, a legend that was supposed to remained sealed away in Mt. Ordeals forever. Getting blasted with it probably took alot out of Golbeze, and when he challenged the light warriors, he still hadn't recovered.

Also, what's with Cecil's hair? In the Status Portrait and the "Official Squaresoft Drawing" it's white. But on the World Map and in battle it's purple

artistic liscense.:p

Sasquatch
11-09-2003, 02:55 AM
There's only one mystery that I don't know about in FF4. Is there any point to the "Smut" that you find in the Developer's Room? Will it do anything different if you..."use" it...in a specific place, or at a specific time?

I do really like the idea of a Developer's Room, though, that was pretty cool.

TheAbominatrix
11-09-2003, 08:17 PM
Nope, the smut is just one of those useless items that are fun to get. That would be awesome if you could use it somewhere, though.

final boss
11-10-2003, 12:17 AM
About Golbez's HP, I think it's lower in the crystal room so it's possible to win. It'd be impossible to beat him if he had 10000 HP

MagicKnight Locke
11-10-2003, 12:52 PM
a good unexplained ti'hing was(for me)

Did Edge and Rydia get together?

Sasquatch
11-10-2003, 02:49 PM
Good point. I would imagine so, but then you got Edge&Rydia and Cecil&Rosa, so who would Kain be with? Maybe he goes back to Mysidia and finds Palom or something.

MagicKnight Locke
11-10-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Sasquatch
Good point. I would imagine so, but then you got Edge&Rydia and Cecil&Rosa, so who would Kain be with? Maybe he goes back to Mysidia and finds Palom or something.
yep.Edward too.He seems younger,he should get palom and kain should find some sexy dragoon girl or something

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Cain is meant to be a wandering loner. Love just isn't (and shouldn't be) in the cards for him.

Gilbert, however, would do well to get with one of the Eight Clerics of Troia.

Sasquatch
11-11-2003, 02:52 AM
One?

Danger
12-09-2003, 12:26 AM
I don't know if Edward could handle more than one of those clerics... he's about the oppsite of a man's man. But then again, everyone loves the pretty boy musician.

Rase
12-09-2003, 12:40 AM
lol well said ;)

SpikingZero
12-09-2003, 12:58 AM
I've always wondered whether Rosa's wearing either a chained bikini, or a chastity belt. :whoa:

Rase
12-10-2003, 01:29 AM
either one sounds good to me.;) J/K.

Danger
12-10-2003, 05:53 AM
As long as I hold the key and the chain... what difference does it make?

Actually, talking about video game charaters like this is rather disturbing. Especially the 16bit ones that we don't get a good look at besides the pictures in the menu screens.

Rase
12-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Well, at least they're not real people. But yeah, your right.

TheAbominatrix
12-10-2003, 11:51 PM
Rosa's actually pretty modestly dressed, from what the Amano shows.

SpikingZero
12-11-2003, 04:36 AM
http://www.ffextreme.com/ff4/characters/icons3.jpg

Looks more like a hot bikini, now that I think about it.

TheAbominatrix
12-11-2003, 04:41 AM
This is all I could find on the fly, if I had my old stuff I could show a better one... but anyway, I guess it's more of a bodysuit with a wrap. Whenevr I saw her in sprite form, I always saw it as a full-length skirt.

Oh well, just more proof that the Square 'skin showing' days arent anything new.

Outsider
12-11-2003, 04:49 AM
I have a better one... It's the same picture, but in a larger scale...

TheAbominatrix
12-11-2003, 04:52 AM
Thanks Outsider.

DJZen
12-18-2003, 05:37 AM
Wow, Rosa's so cool, she can completely change her outfit AND dye her hair between battling and wandering! And no, Square's skin showing days aren't anything new, just hunt down the original FF1 Japanese rom. You'll see.

The Man
12-20-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by TheAbominatrix
I didnt see anything implied to that extent, maybe I'm just missing it. The way I see it, it's always been this sort of 'unrequited love' on Kain's part. But oh well.. It's not mentioned in the script at all, actually, even in the Japanese version, so it's understandable that you wouldn't get that impression from the game. The only place it was mentioned, even in Japan, was in the Foundation Guide, which never got released here. I did a lot of research about it a couple of years ago, and apparently Rosa and Cain were dating before he left to train as a dragoon, but she broke off the relationship shortly thereafter. I'm given to understand the breaking off of the relationship was a product as much of Cecil suddenly having more power in the kingdom than Cain as it was of Rosa being lonely; in any case, she took up with Cecil at about the same time she broke off the relationship with Cain. I haven't liked Rosa much since then.

There was a really old thread that had further details that even I can't remember, but it's undoubtedly been pruned by now.

playaGAW
02-05-2004, 05:24 PM
The mst unexplained thing how did Cid survive holding a bomb in his hands while it blew up. That makes no sense.

Daventhalas
02-06-2004, 02:19 AM
He's an engineer. You can't take out an engineer.

Okay, now I'm having a problem here. Seeing as I played SNES FF2 when it came out over here, my entire life has lead me to believe Palom is the male twin.

Now you want Kain or Edward to sex him up. @_@

I'm assuming that names were mixed up in the SNES FF2 translation or something.... but I've seriously never been more disturbed over an FF before.

*dies*

eestlinc
02-06-2004, 03:44 AM
Palom is the girl?!?!

TheAbominatrix
02-06-2004, 04:44 AM
In the Japanese version I believe the names are like Palom and Parom or something, and Palom is the name for the gal.

eestlinc
02-06-2004, 04:47 AM
eh, what do i care about the japanese version. they can't figure out their r's and l's anyway.

Numisma
02-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by eestlinc
eh, what do i care about the japanese version. they can't figure out their r's and l's anyway.

that's b/c their L's and R's are the same. actually, the R/L syllables can also kinda sound like a D, too. I met a girl in Japan whose name was spelled Eri, but you pronounced it Edi.

so the whole thing is that the names in Japanese are actually foreign but phoneticized into Japanese, and when they are translated into English they sometimes sound different from what they were originally.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-22-2004, 01:14 AM
In all versions, Palom is the boy, and Porom is the girl.

eestlinc
02-22-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Numisma
so the whole thing is that the names in Japanese are actually foreign but phoneticized into Japanese, and when they are translated into English they sometimes sound different from what they were originally.
yea, I was just joking anyway.

VashtheStampede
03-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Here's one. Why didn't Golbez die when Rhydias mist dragon killed golbez's dragon?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-01-2004, 04:38 AM
Golbeza isn't actually a summoner.

VashtheStampede
03-01-2004, 07:10 AM
Then how did he summon the creature? The only reason I can think of is that Zemus did it

Takara
03-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Golbez has an entire army of monsters obeying his every whims. Why couldn't there be a Shadow Dragon among them? :D

Other unexplained things that have always bugged me...

Even though you supposedly burn the village of Mist to ashes in the beginning, it is entirely rebuilt when you go back there later in the game...
Just where the heck is everyone in Baron Castle when Cecil and the others go back there to confront Baigan and the King? I can understand the "we were all under Golbez's control" part, but to me, that does not explain why everyone just vanishes until you defeat Cagnazzo.
You get chased by the Red Wings in the Underground after Cid upgrades the Enterprise so it can fly over the lava, but when you get the Falcon, it won't fly over the lava...
Okay, we see Rydia's mother, but the girl has to have a father somewhere, no?
We kill the Mist Dragon in the beginning of the game, yet Rydia can summon it when she comes back to the party... Did they have a spare one somewhere or what?
How did the Dwarves manage to get the tanks out of the Underground for the battle against the Giant of Bab-il?
Just who are the kids in Bahamut's cave on the Moon?

Ok, I won't lose sleep over those things, but heh... Just musing over here.

TheAbominatrix
03-06-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Takara
Even though you supposedly burn the village of Mist to ashes in the beginning, it is entirely rebuilt when you go back there later in the game...

I dont think it was burnt to the ground, because then more people would have died. The people of the town speak of it like the fire happened a long time ago... the time scheme of the game is never really stated, it could have been months before you can return to Mist, so it was probably rebuilt by this time.

Okay, we see Rydia's mother, but the girl has to have a father somewhere, no?

Probably dead before the game ever started. From the scheme of Rydia's home, it seems like only two people lived there, and the treasures in the secret room there are feminine.

We kill the Mist Dragon in the beginning of the game, yet Rydia can summon it when she comes back to the party... Did they have a spare one somewhere or what?

Well, Rydia can summon cockatrice and a few other common monsters, it's possible there was more than one.

That's all I can think of.

The Man
03-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Takara
Just where the heck is everyone in Baron Castle when Cecil and the others go back there to confront Baigan and the King? I can understand the "we were all under Golbez's control" part, but to me, that does not explain why everyone just vanishes until you defeat Cagnazzo.It's quite possible that they were all in hiding. I'd have been, what with all the crazy events that had been going on at the castle recently.

William
04-03-2004, 01:08 PM
The only thing I never got about the game was:

(SPOILER):

When Palom and Porom turned into stone to save the others in the castle and you went back to them before the Giant of Babil scene, how they'd give you a box where you can use an item on them. I've heard that there's a Basilisk eye that you can use on them to turn them back to normal and get them back into your party, but that it was a dummied item. Does that item exist in the Japanese version since most dummied items were removed in the English translation, or does it not exist at all? I've also heard that you can use a game genie to get it as well...unsure.

Unsure how to make the text completely invisible like I've seen others do though...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-03-2004, 01:30 PM
The item box only shows up so you can try to give them Golden Needles (Softs), which gives you a message saying that they cannot be healed because they have become stone of their own will.

The Basilisk's Eye was just another rumor.

DJZen
04-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Wouldn't a basilisk's eye turn someone INTO stone? Well no matter, put that theory to rest 'cause it's about as true as the subquest to revive Aeris or General Leo.

And I'd like to say a small note on this...

Originally posted by Numisma
that's b/c their L's and R's are the same. actually, the R/L syllables can also kinda sound like a D, too. I met a girl in Japan whose name was spelled Eri, but you pronounced it Edi.

The Japanese R is pronounced like a Spanish R, and it is used in place of the letter L which does not exist in the Japanese alphabet (or alphabet equivalent which I'm sure someone will chime in and remind me the name of). It's not pronounced like a D. The D sound is separate in Japanese. However, many people who have a hard time rolling their Rs make this weird noise that sounds an awful lot like a D. For example, the (really bad) voice actors in Shenmue refer to the main character as "Dio".........

HOLY DIVER!!!!

Sorry.... Anyway, please forgive my rambling. I'm going to get myself tested for OCD one of these days.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-04-2004, 12:42 AM
No decent person will ever blame you for making a Holy Diver reference.

Rase
04-16-2004, 08:14 AM
Okay, I have another.

How the heck does Yang survive the Super Cannon blast? And once that's explained, how's he end up near the Slyph cave?

Takara
04-17-2004, 03:40 AM
I don't know, but considering his wife asks you to hit him with a frying pan to wake him up, I'd say Yang has a long history as a victim of spousal abuse and somehow managed to endure the pain due to being immune to it or something. Kinda like those people in freakshows who do things like getting run over by a bus or have a cannon shoot them in the stomach...

Or he just have incredibly good karma. :D

Outsider
04-17-2004, 03:14 PM
How did the Dwarves manage to get the tanks out of the Underground for the battle against the Giant of Bab-il?
That's why the dwarves are so damn cool.

Just who are the kids in Bahamut's cave on the Moon?

What kids? I don't remember seeing any kids in Bahamut's cave... Well, I don't play it this far in a few years, so maybe I just forgot them.

TheAbominatrix
04-17-2004, 11:28 PM
That's why the dwarves are so damn cool.

What kids? I don't remember seeing any kids in Bahamut's cave... Well, I don't play it this far in a few years, so maybe I just forgot them.

The Dwarves probably had help, seeing as the whole world was united at this point. Plus, their ancestors came up through that very hole... the only reason they stopped was (presumably) because the hole closed off.

And there's two little kids, a boy and a girl, who stand on either side of Bahamut. I dont know who they are.

Storm
05-11-2004, 06:27 AM
How the heck do FuSoYa and Golbez get to the moon after the Giant of Babil is destroyed?

TheAbominatrix
05-11-2004, 07:05 AM
I assume they use the Tower of Babil.

Rase
05-11-2004, 02:59 PM
They use the Big Whale, than send it back using Auto-Pilot. :D

Storm
05-11-2004, 08:05 PM
I assume they use the Tower of Babil.

The Tower of Babil is tall, but I don't think it extends all the way to the moon. I know Golbez said "The path to the moon will be opened", but I figured he meant "The path for the Giant of Babil to come to Earth was opened".

Another thing....how exactly does Yang prevent the Tower of Babil cannons from firing? All you see are explosions in the room.

Outsider
05-11-2004, 08:31 PM
I don't think they used the Tower of Bab-Il to go to the Moon (It's not tall enough, at least when I see it when I'm near Eblan)... I always thought that FuSoYa had his own way to return there.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-11-2004, 08:36 PM
If the Giant can use it to get down to the earth, then those guys can use it to go up to the moon.

TheAbominatrix
05-12-2004, 12:36 AM
The Tower of Babil is tall, but I don't think it extends all the way to the moon. I know Golbez said "The path to the moon will be opened", but I figured he meant "The path for the Giant of Babil to come to Earth was opened".

Another thing....how exactly does Yang prevent the Tower of Babil cannons from firing? All you see are explosions in the room.

The Tower itself doesnt extend to the moon, but there must be a way to the moon somewhere in there, like the teleporters that are all over the place. The Giant is of Babil, hence I doubt it came from the moon. The Giant seemed to be coming from the Tower itself.

Yang probably jacks up the firing mechanisms, or makes the amunition explode before it's ejected.

Storm
05-12-2004, 01:30 AM
The Tower itself doesnt extend to the moon, but there must be a way to the moon somewhere in there, like the teleporters that are all over the place. The Giant is of Babil, hence I doubt it came from the moon. The Giant seemed to be coming from the Tower itself.

I recall there being exactly two teleporters in the tower. One is in the underworld, which Rubicant uses to teleport to the overworld. There is also one in the overworld, which is presumably used to transport to the underworld.

Also, when you throw that key into the well and open the path to the underworld, how are the Red Wings already down there battling with the dwarves? And how did Golbez manage to collect the other two dark crystals before you get down there? It's not like you slept for a month before going down there.

TheAbominatrix
05-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Who says there isnt more, though? There were teleporters from room to room, there could be more to the tower which we havent seen. There's probably a large teleporter that would take them to the moon, somewhere where the team doesnt explore.

If Golbez already had control of the tower, he could have used the tower to get the Red Wings down. The tower has to open to let the giant out, maybe there's large docks to let the airships in and send them down. He could have had agents working down there even while he's gathering the last of the Light crystals.

Storm
05-12-2004, 01:47 AM
I'm actually annoyed you get to explore so little of the Tower of Babil.

Okay, here's another one.....

Everything about the Tower of Zot is a mystery. First of all, where is it? Is it floating in the sky? Secondly, who constructed it? The structure has electricity flowing through it....and if airships had just been created then there's no way anyone on Earth could have built such an advanced structure. From what I understand, the Lunarians built the Tower of Babil....so my guess is that they (for some reason) also built the Tower of Zot. And what gives Valvalis the power to destroy the entire thing?

Also, how did the Calbrena dolls get behind the throne room walls in the Dwarf Castle. Surely someone would have noticed, and I doubt Luca is allowed to play with her dolls in a room with such an important relic.

Rase
05-12-2004, 03:16 AM
Well, if it's in the sky, Valvalis, the Fiend of Wind, could make a wind strong enough to knock it out of the sky. Or she could push the Self-Destruct button, the bane of all cool structures.

Second, the Calbrena could have gotten in there during the night, while the whole castle except the wall guard were sleeping.

Outsider
05-12-2004, 03:27 AM
I guess the only thing that annoyed me about FF4 (besides prince Edward), is that you can't reach the underground through that hole where the Tower of Bab-Il reaches the surface.

Rase
05-12-2004, 05:18 AM
Well, maybe the Tower is blocking the hole, just below the surface.

Outsider
05-12-2004, 05:37 AM
Yeah, I know...

I only complain because that hole is too big. It's bigger than the one near Agart.

Takara
05-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Plot devices. You probably can't go down there because it's way too obvious, and that means you wouldn't have met Edge and stuff. :p

Phoenickx
03-01-2005, 08:39 AM
I always wanted to know.... WHERE did the Monsters come from. I remember something about them being born on the Moon and would drop down to the Planet Earth.

We were told that the Planet that the Lunarian's used to live on was destroyed... they lived on a planet named Ruune. I think the monsters had something to do with it.

And to make matters even more confusing... in the Land of the Summoned Monsters... they could talk and were NOT hostile .... so this leaves me to beleive that... much like Angels... the Monsters are likened to celestial creatures and some turned evil and were manipulated while others from the Blue PLanet remained uncontrolled where the Land of Summoned Monsters are... and Maybe (i am answering my own question here) Summoned Monsters are like Guardian Angels for that dimension... and only certain people are able to "pray" recite the correct tones to summon them.

Storm
03-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Old thread. An admin will stop by shortly to close this thread for good and your post will unfortunately be ignored. I recommend starting a new thread with the same questions.