PDA

View Full Version : Help me with this ntkern.VXD shit

Mikztsu
10-15-2003, 06:23 PM
My scanner used to work few months ago. Then I uninstalled the driver for some reason, and tried to re-install it recently. While installing the driver, the screen turns blue and says something about ntkern.vxd. Same with my recently bought digital camera.

I wonder if there's a way to solve this without formatting my C: drive or something. My computer is shite anyway, and for some reason I have to use Win98 because Win2000 won't finish installation for some reason, and I couldn't get my Internet work with XPpro. I should upgrade almost everything in my computer soon.

Anyway, help? I'd love to use my scanner and digi cam.=o

crono_logical
10-15-2003, 06:31 PM
I wasn't aware Win98 had an NT kernel :p Perhaps the drivers for scanner are really meant to be for NT/2000/XP systems? Or more likely the incomplete Windows 2000 that's ruining things severly. My Win98 boots with an NTLDR since I started installing WinXP on it before changing my mind.

In any case, since it's Win98 that's goofing up, I'd be very tempted to reinstall it to clean it up :p Do note that reinstall is not the same as format :p *not very helpful*

Mikztsu
10-15-2003, 06:36 PM
Yeah, but the scanner worked before.=] I'll try the reinstalling without formatting anything anyway; it can't hurt. After I'm back from my drunk-crusade.:)

Citizen Bleys
10-15-2003, 06:57 PM
I'd give XP Pro another go, and tell me what exactly the symptoms of your problem are. XP Pro is Windows 2000 Professional with a hat, and I'm certified on 2k Pro. I'm sure we can get it working.

Mikztsu
10-15-2003, 09:21 PM
I just tried the re-install, it didn't work.=\ I need to get a new motherboard and stuff for my computer. Meanwhile, I guess I use my roommates computer for getting the pictures from digi cam.

Mikztsu
10-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Double-post:

Problem solved. I HAD the first edition of Win98. Now I borrowed a second edition of Win98 from my roommate, gave it a clean install and everything's fine - camera program works and scanner works again.:) Also some freezing problems seems to be solved as well.

Thanks for the effort anyway, guys.:)

Citizen Bleys
10-16-2003, 04:38 PM
*brain explodes*

How can you live with Win98? XPee Pro > 9x, ME, and NT.

Mikztsu
10-16-2003, 04:47 PM
I can't, that's the problem!:P This thing is killing me. Killing me slowly. And I'd LOVE to install Win2000, but in the end of Win 2k's installation the screen turns green.:\

Anyway, I'll give XPpro another go, once I get the CD from my classmate on monday.

crono_logical
10-16-2003, 08:14 PM
Green? That's a new error to me :p I've only seen green screens when you try to play some videos with weird/bad codecs installed :p