PDA

View Full Version : Amarant's Class

Cz
10-18-2003, 07:29 PM
Every character in FFIX had a pretty clear job class, but Amarant's was a little hazy. He had some characteristics of a Monk, and some of a Ninja. Let's look at the evidence.

Amarant's weapon is a claw. Although the monk class are known for using their fists, characters like Yang and Sabin have been known to use claws.

He also has very high HP, which is another characteristic of the monk class.

Every single one of Amarant's weapons teaches him 'counter'. This is one of the main abilities of the FFV monk.

However...

Amarant has the ability to throw weapons at the enemy. This is a Ninja ability from past FF's.

He also has rather general 'Flair' abilities. While not actually drawing any parallels with Edge's ninja magic, they do serve a similar sort of purpose, in that they can adapt to many situations.

Amarant's character doesn't really suggest he is a monk. The idea of a 'bounty hunter' is more of a ninja trait than a monk. Monks are known for their discipline, a characteristic which Amarant does not have.

And finally, Amarant is pretty nimble, both in and out of battle. When he first appears in Madain Sari, he jumps from a great height, spends a whole battle dodging around, before leaping upwards again to make his exit. Ninjas are known to be very nimble, in and out of combat.

To be honest, although the evidence is fairly well balanced, I think Amarant's a monk. I was wondering if other people shared this opinion, or whether they thought Amarant was a Ninja. What do you think?

The Man
10-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Flair is actually more similar to monk abilities, at least the way Final Fantasy has placed them. I'm pretty sure Chakra is the proper translation of Sabin's third ability in FFVI (I can't remember what Woolsey (mis)translated it as). And Sabin was DEFINITELY a monk.

Amarant has a few ninja-like characteristics, but then, the boundaries between ninjas and monks are kind of blurred in the Final Fantasy series anyway, since some of what belongs to monks in one game belongs to ninjas in another, and vice versa.

Phil
10-18-2003, 07:48 PM
He wasnt any of them. He was an assassin. Brahne said so herself. Amarant was a hired asassin. He had monk abuilitys and ninja abuilitys, but he was under the asassin job type. He used claws, like asassins, and ninjas use katanas. Monks use martial arts. He uses a mixture of the two, martial arts with blades attatched.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-19-2003, 01:13 AM
Let's settle and call him a monja.

Amarant Odinson
10-19-2003, 01:19 AM
He's a monk.

Phil
10-19-2003, 01:44 AM
No he's not. Brahne clearly states he's an Asassin!

crono_logical
10-19-2003, 02:25 AM
He's a decent FF9 charater to have in your party (once he's learned his abilities anyway), that's what :p

Divina
10-19-2003, 03:25 AM
He's a Monk. If you hit the Select button as the finger is pointing to "Flair" in battle, it will say something along the line of "Use Monk Abilities".

Yes, I have to agree with crono_logical. Amarant's a pretty decent character to use in battle.

Bahamut2000X
10-19-2003, 03:30 AM
I say that Amarant's a monk. I mean, claw, monk abilities, and the monk stats. How could you not say he's a monk?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-19-2003, 03:30 AM
It's already been established that he uses monk abilities, but that alone doesn't make him a monk any more than using ninja abilities like Throw makes him a ninja.

Phil
10-19-2003, 03:41 AM
Which is why he's an ASASSIN! BRAHNE SAID SO! He throws like a ninja, uses monk skills.... that togather makes an asassin! Does anybody look at my occupation in my profile? noooooooo :smash: :Oo:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-19-2003, 04:43 AM
So what you're basically saying is that he's a monja, right?

Cz
10-19-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Deathjester
Flair is actually more similar to monk abilities, at least the way Final Fantasy has placed them. I'm pretty sure Chakra is the proper translation of Sabin's third ability in FFVI (I can't remember what Woolsey (mis)translated it as). And Sabin was DEFINITELY a monk.

Gah, I can't believe I missed that. Chakra's also a monk ability from FFV, so that's yet another monk characteristic.

Zifnab
10-19-2003, 06:10 PM
That cross-legged crouch he does as a victory pose seems to be him contemplating life to me. Kinda monkish. Also he wouldn't be the only one who has mixed abilities, as Dagger and Eiko both have White Mage and Summoner traits (Dagger even wears the classic White Mage outfit at the beginning), while Steiner's Magic Sword is very similar to a Sorcerer from FFV.

Anyway, I say he's more Monk than Ninja.

Angel_Eyes
10-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
Let's settle and call him a monja.

Or a nink ^_^

I think he's a monk. Like Divina said, I think if you press select over his skill it says something like "Use Monk Abilities" beacuse I remember being like "He's a MONK?"

Flare_Star
10-21-2003, 09:18 PM
do i care? no. but i post my views anyway.
my analisis: monja

Doomgaze
11-10-2003, 08:17 AM
He's someone I hate to use in my party because he sucks as a character, but he kicks too much ass to ignore, sadly. Why do the great fighters always have to be such crappy characters?

also he's a monja

Big D
11-10-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Vincent06
Which is why he's an ASASSIN! BRAHNE SAID SO! He throws like a ninja, uses monk skills.... that togather makes an asassin! Does anybody look at my occupation in my profile? noooooooo :smash: :Oo: I don't recall her ever calling him an assasin. I remember that he became a mercenary, a hired thug after Zidane deliberately ruined his job and his life by blaming Amarant for one of his cowardly crimes...
But his abilities and his lifestyle show that he's had some hard, impersonal training in martial arts, something that could be attributed to both a monk and a ninja.
He's a martial artist, why not just leave it at that? Not everybody fits into a nice little 'category'.

Amarant had a lot of potential to be a great character, but his complex and troubled back-story was barely hinted at. When I learned that he had 'monk abilities', I figured that the party would eventually find the place where he trained or studied, and he'd reveal a lot about himself. My hopes really got up when I reached Esto Gaza... but then I remembered why I have this philosophy about not building expectations.

Daydrius
11-21-2003, 01:33 AM
HE's a bard...the end.

Seriously enough, this is stupid, so you can all stop now

Big D
11-21-2003, 01:45 AM
Seriously enough, this is stupid, so you can all stop nowNo-one's making you read it or post in it, it's merely a discussion of a question that's bugged a few people about FFIX.

zacks_clone
11-21-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Amarant Odinson
He's a monk.

agreement!