PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up PS2 to a Laptop for Video/Audio

-N-
10-19-2003, 05:43 AM
I want to play my PS2 through my laptop. That means, the PS2 is on and the controller and memory card are directly attached to the PS2, but the video and audio for the PS2 are on my laptop. How do I do this? I have an S-Video port, but I don't know if it's S-Video IN or OUT. I also don't know if I have any Audio IN or OUT, but I suppose I could hook the audio to a separate pair of speakers.

crono_logical
10-19-2003, 05:51 AM
If it's a laptop, it's very likely an S-Video Out - there's very few video cards that can take TV signal input, especially portable ones. As for audio, most laptops wil have a line-out or headphone socket, but you'll have to check the specs to see if it has either line-in or a microphone jack as well (or look on the laptop for such connectors).

EDIT: I have managed to get the PS2 picture onto my PC screen before without using a TV-in socket (since I don't have a TV capture card) - that involved plugging the PS2 into a camcorder, configuring the camcorder appropriately, then plugging the camcorder into the USB port of the PC and running video capture software on the PC, but since it was over USB, the picture was very low resolution :p I'll be using Firewire if I try that again, now I've installed a firewire card :p I guess audio could have been done easily by hooking the audio phonos from the PS2 to my line-in ports on my ound card if I wanted to :p

-N-
10-19-2003, 06:01 AM
Yeah... looks like an S-Video Out, since the arrow is pointing outward... the laptop does have a microphone jack, however. I also have internal Firewire, but the process you described seems slightly ridiculous... any other ideas?

What kind of video capture software are we talking about? Final Cut Pro or something like that? Windows Media Player Encoder?

edit: I have an open PCMCIA slot (I think that's what it is, anyway)... is it possible to insert a video in card or something in there?

crono_logical
10-19-2003, 06:14 AM
It wasn't even capturing, just in preview mode, so anything capable of that really. I used VirtualDub to do that myself.

I have no idea if such a card exists for a PCMCIA slot or not.

-N-
10-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Something like this? I'd like a "second opinion"... :p

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3436004880&category=3710

My PCMCIA info:

http://www.pc-card.com/product.cfm?productid=832