PDA

View Full Version : Omega

Atma Weapon
10-19-2003, 05:49 AM
If FF6 had an Omega weapon, what would you want it to be like? Any particular attacks it would use, a different look(a modified Atma pallette would probally work best)massive counterattacks, etc. Would you want it to be ridiculously hard (i.e. technically impossible) ,difficult (i.e. beating kefka at level 10), moderately difficult (i.e. FF5 Omega), or somewhat difficult(about as difficult as Atma). Be creative, but reasonable, as these ideas may show up in my Atma Weapons FF6 Advanced Remix when I finish it.:mog:

crono_logical
10-19-2003, 06:16 AM
A pallette-swapped Tower of Kefka that poses more of a challenge would be unique for such a weapon :p

Doomgaze
10-19-2003, 09:40 AM
You know how Atma was mostly biological with some mechanical parts?

Think Io with some biological parts. And much bigger. Yeah. :D

Not that I would expect you to make such a sprite.

Or maybe a "Kefka Omega" or something that you fight after you think you've killed Kefka. Let's see him really fight like a god ;)

muchacho
10-20-2003, 07:27 PM
he should look kinda like he did in 8, the half beast/ half man look. the lower body should be atma's and the up like kekfa(final boss). something like that woud be cool.

Flying Mullet
10-20-2003, 07:30 PM
I would like it if he had a final attack that did 9,999 damage, just like the MagiMaster at the top of Kefka's Fanatics Tower did. Nothing like punching you in the stamoch when you forgot to cast Life3.

i90east
10-21-2003, 02:08 AM
Ultima doesn't do 9,999 damage, more like 5,000. But yeah, a powerful dying move would be suitable for a very difficult boss. For a boss to be most entertaining, have him do a lot of weaker attacks with the occasional chaotic attack. Have the boss heal himself a lot too, with things like Pearl Wind, Ice Rabbit, Sun Bath, Cure 1-3, and elemental stuff that he absorbs. The more attacks the boss uses, the better. That way you never know what he's gonna do. Many different types of attacks are good too.

I just made a new script for White Dragon today using this mentality, and the results are great. He uses Pearl, L? Pearl, Surge, Step Mine, Peal Wind, Shock Wave and Cure 3. The script isn't that long either. He often does 3 or 4 attacks in a row, and often it'll kill a guy or two, but I'll have time to cast Life 2. The battle takes place in the fanatic's tower, so my guys have Wall Rings (as most players would do). White Dragon casts Cure 3 on all your guys, which gets reflected back to him. It makes him look smart :)

It's really easy to make bosses that are impossibly hard when working with the scripts (casting Ultima every other turn, throwing Illuminas, doing Shrapnel on your entire party over and over, etc). It's more important to have a fun boss to fight, not one that's impossibly hard. Difficult? Yes. Both sides should be defensive and offensive at times.

MJN SEIFER
10-21-2003, 03:33 PM
Not that I would expect you to make such a sprite

Ahem!

(Ok it's crap but I tried!)

i90east
10-22-2003, 12:16 AM
wtf? lol!

Yeah, and try finding a sprite import program that actually works. :rolleyes2 The only one I ever found ruined my rom.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-22-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by MJN SEIFER
Ahem!

(Ok it's crap but I tried!) Fantastic! :aimsurp:

Atma Weapon
10-22-2003, 05:53 AM
QUOTE]It's really easy to make bosses that are impossibly hard when working with the scripts (casting Ultima every other turn, throwing Illuminas, doing Shrapnel on your entire party over and over, etc). It's more important to have a fun boss to fight, not one that's impossibly hard. Difficult? Yes. Both sides should be defensive and offensive at times.[/QUOTE]

My party is around level 45 to 50 and I'm having trouble making a CzarDragon that can be a challenge to them. You can just cast quick over and over again and defeat the boss before he even has the chance to attack more than once or twice. I even gave it a counter attack to ultima, but I can just use meteor. The only thing that I can do is make quick reflectable and have him cast reflect on the party repeatedly, but that changes the game a whole lot. Omega is going to be toughter than Czar of course, but it'll be tough to challenge a well prepared team of lv. 99's and I can't hold anything back.

Flying Mullet
10-22-2003, 03:12 PM
What's the maximum hit points that the rom editor lets you give an enemy? Also, can you increase the magic and physical defense so that it takes a lot of hits to kill it?

The Man
10-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by The Dude
What's the maximum hit points that the rom editor lets you give an enemy?65,535

Also, can you increase the magic and physical defense so that it takes a lot of hits to kill it? yes, considering that you can pretty much raise it so that the enemy's invincible (hi Guardian)

Atma Weapon
10-22-2003, 10:38 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, can you increase the magic and physical defense so that it takes a lot of hits to kill it?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes, considering that you can pretty much raise it so that the enemy's invincible (hi Guardian)

You can raise it pretty high, but the atma weapon sword, most blitzes, most tools,meteor,flare, and ultima pierce defense and do the same damage no matter what. I have it set up so that only atma weapon and meteor can damage Omega right now, if you use any of the others he throws a temper tantrum and wipes out your party:mog:
Also, 65535 is the max HP, but you can "raise" that significantly by allowing the monster to cast cure 3 on itself in response to every attack.
With quick + life 3 + gem box + economizer at your disposal, I really can't hold anything back at all and still make the boss a challenge.
On a side note, Guardian actually has fairly low defenses, but there is a special line in his attack script that actually makes him invincible. If you don't believe me then you can cast drain on guardian. You still regain health(indicating that damage has been done) but the damage is blocked and registers as 0.

i90east
10-23-2003, 08:24 PM
My party is around level 45 to 50 and I'm having trouble making a CzarDragon that can be a challenge to them. You can just cast quick over and over again and defeat the boss before he even has the chance to attack more than once or twice.

Well perhaps you should consider removing relics and spells that are too powerful. If you can't make bosses hard enough, then make your abilities weaker. I never use the cheap stuff. It seems to ruin the fun.

This would be major, but you could reduce the attack power of all weapons and abilities by 80%, and reduce all enemies' attack power and HP by 80%. You would also reduce defense power of armor, sheilds and your characters' HP by the same amount. That would be like multiplying maximum monster HP by 5 (or something like that). That should be plenty.

Random thoughts:

It's too bad that so many attacks like the ones you mentioned ignore enemy defenses and evasion. Pearl Wind is better than Cure 3, and heals 9999 HP on high level monsters. If monsters use an x-potion, that would only heal up to 9999 HP right? Would your bosses be harder if you give them positive status buffs like vanish, safe, shell, reflect, regain, haste, etc?

Flying Mullet
10-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Just to make it interesting, the super-boss should reside on the solitary island(after you can come back on the airship) and it should look just like the other Peeps or whatever they're called. The only differentiation would be their name. And make it a standard random encounter. It's be fun to have a challenge over and over again and it removes an easy de-cursing the Cursed Shield spot, which would also make the game a bit harder. Oh, and have the super-boss give more than ten magic points, if that's possible.

The Man
10-23-2003, 08:56 PM
You can have the Magic Points go all the way up to 255, I believe.q

Atma Weapon
10-24-2003, 03:45 AM
Well perhaps you should consider removing relics and spells that are too powerful. If you can't make bosses hard enough, then make your abilities weaker. I never use the cheap stuff. It seems to ruin the fun.

I thought of that, but no one likes to be weak. It's more fun if your characters are ridiculously strong and the enemies are so strong that they can still be a challenge. I have figured out a solution to my quick problem though. I made quick reflectable. Even if it is reflected, quick stll affects the caster, but enemies can counter attack it. Now Czar throws about 20 ragnaroks and casts ultima if you use quick while under reflect status, and he keeps you under reflect status. Genji Glove+Offering still works, but he has high evasion and defense so it won't come close to a one hit kill. It's going to be a long process, but I think that Omega will be tough without resorting to weakening of characters. He is afflicted with a myriad of positive status, and cure 3 heals for 9999 when you have 255 magic attack. All in all, Omega is shaping up quite nicely and continued suggestions are much appreciated.

Just to make it interesting, the super-boss should reside on the solitary island(after you can come back on the airship) and it should look just like the other Peeps or whatever they're called. The only differentiation would be their name. And make it a standard random encounter. It's be fun to have a challenge over and over again and it removes an easy de-cursing the Cursed Shield spot, which would also make the game a bit harder. Oh, and have the super-boss give more than ten magic points, if that's possible.

That would be kind of cool, but I want the Omega weapon to be intimidating. And if you trigger the...um...certain spoiler scene where celes ends up at the top side of the island, you could have a VERY tough trip back during the first part of the WOR.

i90east
10-25-2003, 04:22 PM
Genji Glove+Offering still works, but he has high evasion and defense so it won't come close to a one hit kill. It's going to be a long process, but I think that Omega will be tough without resorting to weakening of characters.

The Offering relic ignores enemy evasion stats.

20 Ragnaroks? How do you allocate enough space to insert the script? Maybe you're replacing a monster that originally had a long script.

Atma Weapon
10-26-2003, 02:22 AM
The Offering relic ignores enemy evasion stats.

Damn

20 Ragnaroks? How do you allocate enough space to insert the script? Maybe you're replacing a monster that originally had a long script.

I've been rewriteing the enemy battle scripts, and I've been removing a lot of extraneous attacks. A lot of enemies use the "action or nothing or nothing" attack script and I've shortened that in most cases to just include "action" It takes a lot less space to make one guarenteed action then it does to make a 1 in 3 chance of an action. Also, a lot of monsters use a few rounds of weak attacks as warnings or breaks between their strong attacks. These have been removed. I've actually managed to leave about 980 bytes free, without limiting myself on the numbers of attacks or types of attacks enemies use. Also, i90east, I read in your sig that you are thinking of removing the offering. While it would be completely justifed to simply remove it, wouldn't it make more sense to add negative status and handicaps to it? I mean it could still exist without being cheap, it just needs to be modified a little.:mog:

Edit: I've finnally found a solution to my quick problem. Quick now inflicts petrify status on the caster. You can get around this easily with a variety of relics, but you cannot use gem box + economizer + quick anymore.:mog:

i90east
10-26-2003, 08:56 PM
No matter how many nagative buffs Offering inflicts, 2*4*2 hits is still 2*4*2 hits. That's just way too cheap, and I think the game would be better off without it. I could replace the Offering with something cool. You still have Genji gloves, which don't ignore evasion. That's another cheap thing with Offering. The relic was cool back when it was a secret, but now it's just a cheap item that's easily accessable.

Thanks for the advice on the battle scripts Atma Weapon. That's great. I'm afraid to make custom units out of all those blank enemies at the end of the enemy list. They all have special event checked. I guess it's just best to edit and change existing monsters.

Atma Weapon
10-27-2003, 02:22 AM
I've found a quick fix for the offering. You can have it inflict confuse on your character. Then it's like a gamble, because it could annihilate the enemy or it could wipe out your entire party just as easily. The confusion can't be removed either, it stays even if the character is dead(at least the little spinning green circle thing does). It COULD be cheap now, but it is much more likely to be useless and even detrimental, especially since you won't have time to put your life 3 on if the offering character kills enemies first.

and i90east, your fears are well founded, I experimented with making custom monsters there and it does mess some things up. Most of those monsters are invisible control boxes of sorts. For example, there is an invisible narsh guard in the final battle which calls the forms of Kefka. Without that guard, the battle would end after the first wave of enemies dies. Collosus and Czar Dragon aren't used so you could make custom monsters out of them. Plus you could very easily remove Zone Eater,Cactrot,Doom Gaze,Atma,Hoover, and pretty much any boss and replace them with another boss and get a custom monster that way. The help is much appreciated, thanks everyone:)

MagicKnight Locke
10-27-2003, 02:21 PM
i know what omega could look like
part emerald(ff7)
part ruby(ff7)
part atma(ff6)
part nexron(ff9)
thatd be cool