PDA

View Full Version : FFXI CD's!!

Rizzice
10-19-2003, 06:23 AM
If me and my brother want to play on seperate computers, will he need to buy a seperate FFXI CD just to play? Also, do you have to have the CD in while you're playing?

Rostum
10-19-2003, 06:44 AM
Well, it comes on a dvd. The game itself is ~6GB, so you will need that much space on your computer for it to install. So you won't need to have the dvd in while playing. (Correct me anyone, if I'm wrong)

I'm not too sure about the first question though.

Aerio
10-19-2003, 06:47 AM
Well you both can't play on the same account at once so you will need two if you want to play at the same time on two different accounts but if you wana play at different times on same account you can use one CD on both comps(assuming it works the same as EQ)

Rizzice
10-19-2003, 07:07 AM
i meant, can you put in the CD on one computer, start the game, take it out then use it on the other one? or do you even need the CD to play?

I know you need two different accounts to play at the same time, but I don't know if i wanna order 1 or two FFXI Onlines...

Aerio
10-19-2003, 07:15 AM
No you don't need it in comp...everything is installed to yer comp and run from their servers

SubMatrix
10-19-2003, 09:40 AM
Yeah, once you install the game you no longer need the CD's except for reinstalling.

Leighton

Lionx
10-19-2003, 11:37 AM
I am pretty sure u cant play at the same time with one game...you can ask SE

It isnt on DVD, its a 6 CD set. Also once u install, the CDs arent used again unless as said, un-installing/watever

Nakor TheBlue Rider
10-19-2003, 02:50 PM
I think what hes getting at is:

Can one CD-Key be used for Two accounts?

And Can 2 People Play at the same time on one accout if they each have thier own character?

Ouch!
10-19-2003, 03:07 PM
If that's the question, one CD-key should be good for two accounts but you can't open the same account on two computers. That's how it is with all MMORPGs.

SubMatrix
10-19-2003, 09:12 PM
I think he meant that it comes on DVD for the PS2. And for the PS2, you might need to put the disc in to play the game for loading purposes. I've never used a PS2 with a hard drive to see wether it's necessary or not.

And characters (Content ID's which you get one free one per CD key and can purchase extras for $1 each) are tied to that CD key, and only one character per CD key may be logged on at a time.

To go even further, FFXI CD keys are tied to your PlayOnline member name (PlayOnline also requires a Registration Code). I don't think you could even add an additional FFXI CD key to an existing PlayOnline account if you wanted to (only reason would be if you wanted more than the 16 characters you can have max). But the point is that just logging onto PlayOnline (which is required before you can even play FFXI) will kick anyone off of FFXI and PlayOnline if they were on. So the point is that it is impossible to play multiple character using one account.

If your thinking behind the question was- "Can I purchase the game, install it, remove all the Registration Codes from it (and keep them), return the game for a new one (thereby getting a new set of Registration Codes), will I be able to play both accounts (presumably on different computers) using only one set of CD's?" then the answer is yes. At least for the PC, I really have no idea if the DVD is needed for the PS2 or not.

Leighton

Rizzice
10-22-2003, 03:53 AM
I can't say I completely understood that, especially the "Content ID's which you get one free one per CD key and can purchase extras for $1 each".

Does this mean, if both me and my brother want to play the game, I can buy one FFXI Online set, then buy a seperate CD Key(other than the one that came with FFXI online package) for 1 dollar, and both me and my brother can play without buying an extra FFXI Online?

SubMatrix
10-22-2003, 04:23 AM
Unfortunately No. You'd have to buy the 2 games to play at the same time. Using the word CD key could have been misleading in my previous post. They don't use CD keys perse. When you recieve the game you will get 3 Registration Codes, one for PlayOnline (which you must log into before you can play FFXI), one for FFXI, and one for TetraMaster. Your TetraMaster and FFXI Registration Codes are tied to you PlayOnline Registration Code. Once you log onto PlayOnline and input your FFXI Registration Code you will receive one free Content ID. Content ID's are used for making characters. You can purchase additional Content ID's for $1 each to create additional characters. It's also worth noting that if you create an extra character using a content ID, you can cancle that content ID and your character will not be deleted (you simply won't be able to play using that character). And deleting a character will NOT cancel a Content ID, you have to do that manually. But I'm getting off the point =).

Also, once you input your PlayOnline Registration code you go through a whole detailed process of creating a Log on name and password. This is used in case you want to go to a friends house and play your character. You must log onto PlayOnline using your account info. And only person may be logged onto PlayOnline using the same account. This makes purchasing additional content ID's for the purpose of playing at the same time impossible, since as soon as you try to log onto PlayOnline to access FFXI, you'll kick the other person off.

This is why purchasing an additiona "CD key" isn't really possible beyond simply purchasing an additional game altogether. Hope it made more sense this time :).

Leighton

Aerio
10-22-2003, 04:35 AM
to shorten it...No you can't play at once...if you want to you need two different CDs and twi different accounts? If I right...thats what its like on EQ....but FFXI is weird...Charging to make characters blows me away since thats dumb...should be after making like 4 chars they charge 1 for each extra

Rizzice
10-22-2003, 05:07 AM
hrmm.. so lets say I installed it on my home computer, and created an account at home, could I still bring that CD over to my friends house and play on MY own account?(sleepover or something?) or do i have to go through a process of something or rather? :eep:

SubMatrix
10-22-2003, 05:09 AM
I agree to a point. The reason Square is charging for extra characters is to keep the conquest system as preserved as possible. During the beta people would make extra characters and join an opposing nation and then set themselves up in a "death loop" in an area controlled by that nation. This would cause that nation, after enough deaths, to lose to lose control of that area to the beastmen, and thus help their "true" nation become first in the conquest system. Square's hope is that people won't want to spend the extra $1 to do that. I'm sure people still will, but it should act as somewhat of a deterence.

It's also important to keep in mind that race is the ONLY thing that can't be changed. Job, nation, etc., are all things that a character can change, and so the variety of having multiple characters can exist in having only one.

A lot of people think that Square charges the extra $1 because it takes up more space on their harddrives or that Square is only out to make money and doesn't care that we're poor. These aren't the really the case. Extra characters don't take up any noticable space or really cost any extra money for Square to deal with them, and while I'm sure Square isn't complaining about getting an extra $1 from it's subscribers, I have too much respect for Square to think of them as profiteering gluttons.

This is not by any means a perfect solution because it penalizes those of us who aren't going to use exra characters to "cheat" the conquest system in this manner. But at the same time it's not overly unreasonable either. So yeah, I'm sick of typing now.

Leighton

SubMatrix
10-22-2003, 05:14 AM
If your friend already has the game installed on his computer, then you won't even need the CD's, just your ID and password. Otherwise you'll need to install the game on your friend's computer. However, once you go through the whole registration process, you don't need to do it again, you just log in using your info. and you'll have access to your characters and everything. I'm not sure if you've played EQ but it's basically the same as that. You use your log-in ID and password and then you have access to your characters. PlayOnline is a little bit more complex than EQ's log-on system, but once you get used to it it's easy to use.

Leighton