PDA

View Full Version : Just a simple question?

Yujinshu
10-19-2003, 06:43 AM
I havn't really been able to find info on this ( even thought its probably the most simple question) But what is the difference between primary and secondary jobs. Like when you choose 2 does your character get the powers of both combined or what?

Aerio
10-19-2003, 06:49 AM
from what I've gathered your main job can go to the lvl cap...and the subjob is the same (you get skills and stuff I think) but can only go to half of yer main jobs lvl....but a beta tester might be able to answer in more detail and correct me if Im wrong

Rostum
10-19-2003, 06:49 AM
You should have tried to look at the www.ffxionline.com website, has ALOT of information on this game.

You can have 2 jobs 'equipt' at any one time as long as you've done the quest to do so. So you'd have your main job, and then your secondary job, which will be half the level of your main and only have half the skills and abilities. I don't really know how to explain it any other way, so someone please help out.

Yujinshu
10-19-2003, 06:52 AM
The level cap is 70 now isnt it? If it was would that mean that with your mainjob you get to cap 70 mean prim has all skills then your sub has all the skills up to lvl 35 correct?

Rostum
10-19-2003, 06:54 AM
Yeah, that should be correct. =)

Yujinshu
10-19-2003, 07:00 AM
Thanks =)

Yujinshu
10-19-2003, 07:01 AM
One more question. WHen you start out selecting your character with the whole stats thing do you have any stats to add on like the DAOC game?

Yujinshu
10-19-2003, 07:02 AM
Is there a site also that lists all the SKills so far tothe lvl cap? I've only been able to find up to lvl 55

SubMatrix
10-19-2003, 09:37 AM
Abilities and skills aren't halved for the sub class. A 10th level fighter / 5th level white mage has all the same abilities and theoretical skill cap as any 5th level white mage, primary or sub.

Also, there no extra skill points to assign during character creation. All race/class combinations will be idential stat wise when compared to same race/class at any level (equipment not withstanding).

And ShadowDragons.com has a lot of useful information, but don't expect a site that has everything, I've looked, it's not out there. Just get on google and type in Final Fantasy XI and start looking around, there's a lot out there, you just have to do some of the digging yourself.

Leighton

Lionx
10-19-2003, 11:40 AM
You have to switch ur sub job to ur main to lvl it up or else it would always be lvl 1, so you can have a lvl 20 whm but have a lvl 1 blm sub.

project_mayhem
10-19-2003, 05:47 PM
so if you're a 20 whm/ 1 blm and you switch to level the blm up...... what portion of the skills and stats would you get from the whm?????
also i wanna be a 70mnk/1thf lol never mind

SubMatrix
10-19-2003, 09:22 PM
If you switched to become a level 1 BLM primary then you would have no subjob(it rounds down the halving, so you'd need to be level 2 before the subjob would show up). And the stats work just as the class normally.
Basically, a 20 warrior / 10 monk would all the stats added together of a 20 warrior and a 10 monk (minus starting racial stats). Lets say a 20 galka warrior has 200 HP and a 10 galka monk has 100 HP, that's 300 HP total. Galka have 33 HP starting off, 300 - 33 = 267. So a 20 warrior / 10 monk galka would have 267 HP (before any equipment and what not). It works the same way with stats (STR, VIT, DEX, etc.).

Skill points are the exception, they are the only thing that you can carry over (assuming the class you change to has access to a skill that you have built). i.e. a BLM with a high skill rating in great axe means nothing since they can't use it.

Hope this has been useful.

Leighton

inlineskating29
10-19-2003, 10:57 PM
lion king guy was wrong about the 20wht(main) and the 1blk(sub)

if u have a 20 mage and u make your sub job when your lvl 20 your sub job will be lvl10 with all the skills up to that lvl

Bahamut2000X
10-19-2003, 11:54 PM
Actually your wrong inlineskating29, you have to level your sub job up seperatly from your main job. If I was a level 30 monk and had never leveled as a theif before then I would be a level 30 monk/1 theif. I think Lionx would definatly know these thigns as he only was a beta tester for a few months.

inlineskating29
10-21-2003, 01:34 AM
well i heard or saw some were on a site or on a forum at this site that it is half

SubMatrix
10-21-2003, 03:03 AM
The subjob is half at MAX. You still have to level up the other job. If you have a 20 warrior and a 20 monk and decide to make either your primary job, your sub job will only be level 10 for either. If you have a 20 warrior and an 8 monk, and warrior is primary then you will have a 20 warrior / 8 monk, whereas if monk is primary then you have an 8 monk, 4 warrior. Hope this makes sense.

Leighton

inlineskating29
10-21-2003, 08:21 PM
im saying when u first start out on your job

ex)lvl10 warrior and u pick your sub job as a thief it will =10war/5 or less theif
right yes, no,maybe

SubMatrix
10-21-2003, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure I understand your question. Technically when you start the game your a level 1 everything (level 1 warrior, level 1 white mage, level 1 monk, etc.) and you have to build all the levels separately. Once you hit level 20 though, you can do a quest that will allow you to have 2 classes at one time, a primary and sub job. You can assign any job to be primary and any job to be sub, the only stipulations are that your primary job is the only one that will gain experience, and your sub job can only be HALF of your primary job. You may have a 30 levels of monk, but if monk is your sub job and you have a 20 warrior as the primary, then you will only have a 10 monk. Also, if you used a monk all the way to level 20 and never put a level into anything else, did the sub job quest, decided to keep monk as your primary job, then any sub job you picked would be at level 1 (since you never leveled any jobs past that). Again, hope this made sense =/.

Leighton

inlineskating29
10-21-2003, 09:51 PM
when u get your charecter 2 lvl 20 and u pick monk as sub job it will be 10

now u can lvl up your monk past your warrior and your warrior will be lvl 20 even if u switch them between suub and main cause they dont loose lvls

SubMatrix
10-21-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by inlineskating29
when u get your charecter 2 lvl 20 and u pick monk as sub job it will be 10

What character are you talking about? And your monk will only be level 10 as a sub job if he was level 10 or higher (you don't get free levels).

Originally posted by inlineskating29 now u can lvl up your monk past your warrior and your warrior will be lvl 20 even if u switch them between suub and main cause they dont loose lvls

You're warrior will only be level 20 as a sub job if your monk is at least level 40.

You never lose levels when switching jobs, but you might not necessarily be able to use all the levels you have. Like I've said your sub job level is at max, half of your primary job level. And just because you don't get to use all the levels of a job you have when you make it a sub job doesn't mean you lose them, they are just inaccessable until you get your primary job up to double whatever level your sub job is.

I'm not sure what you're sayin no to, everything I've said is correct.

Leighton

inlineskating29
10-21-2003, 11:12 PM
short and simple..your wrong ok

SubMatrix
10-22-2003, 12:03 AM
Actually I've played the beta and know for a fact that what I'm saying is correct. I'm sorry if you're misunderstanding what I'm saying or simply don't understand. Maybe you read some wrong information somewhere, I don't know. I've only tried to be helpful, so I'm sorry if you don't want to believe me.

Leighton

Lionx
10-22-2003, 12:54 AM
Submatrix and B2X is right, i also played beta and she knows her stuff(ur a female right? if not i apologize, ur avy is deceiving XD).

That site is wrong, either that or you misunderstood it.

Crono9051
10-22-2003, 02:05 AM
I also have a question. You know how you pre-order FFXI and your supposed to get a mousepad. Do you get the mousepad before the game comes out or when your game comes?
Because I asked and they told me they might not even get the mousepad and if they don't I am going to send so many complaints they won't know what hit them.

Just wanted to know, no rush.

SubMatrix
10-22-2003, 03:34 AM
I think it all matters who you pre-orderd it from. If you pre-ordered from a website they'll more than likely ship the mousepad with the game. If you pre-ordered it from a store then who knows.

Also yes, I am a girl (I always thought that Leighton was a feminine name, but apparently some people think it could also be masculine, happens more than I'd like :) )

Leighton

Crono9051
10-22-2003, 03:50 AM
Thank you for the response Miss Leighton.:D

omoikane
10-22-2003, 11:54 AM
So basicly, if a pro want to start another job class and that person switches to that new cjob class, they start back at level one....meaning they'll be back to the noob stage???

Square's sneaky ain't they?

SubMatrix
10-22-2003, 03:09 PM
Basically, yeah. And since armor is level based (every piece of armor I saw has a level requirement on it, even if it's level 1) you can't even use your high level equipment when you start over again. The only thing that you have to show for all your work is skill points, which are only available if that class has access to them. So yeah, whenever you strart leveling a new job it's basically like you made a new character.

Leighton