PDA

View Full Version : Kappa is a mythical creature

Flying Mullet
10-20-2003, 07:01 PM
I just learned today that in Japanese "Kappa"(かっぱ ) is "mythical creature". So not only is Kappa his name, but it also describes him(imp = mythical creature).

Just thought I'd share that tidbit of info. :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-20-2003, 08:35 PM
Kappa was never meant to be a name. The guy who teaches you about Gau's Rages just happens to be a kappa.

MJN SEIFER
10-20-2003, 09:39 PM
I always thought he was a green duck!

m4tt
10-20-2003, 10:02 PM
So when characters had Imp cast on them you thought they turned into green ducks too?

MJN SEIFER
10-20-2003, 10:31 PM
I'll Have you know I never saw this so called "Imp" spell!!

i90east
10-21-2003, 02:20 AM
You could rename the spell to "green duck". :laugh: The menu picture of the imp doesn't have a purple bill though.

Outsider
10-21-2003, 04:30 AM
It makes sense, since there's no imps in FF6, even though they were in FF since the beggining...

So that "green duck" (Pfff...) can really be considered mythical...

Ah, nevermind

m4tt
10-21-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by MJN SEIFER
I'll Have you know I never saw this so called "Imp" spell!!

For someone who seems to have played FF6 as much as you have, you sure have missed a lot.

MJN SEIFER
10-21-2003, 03:09 PM
I downloaded a ROM someone on this forum had and IMP never had an effect (It was a ROM made for crap people I think)

Angyles Cerddoriaeth
10-21-2003, 03:17 PM
it was a green duck..i refuse to believe that picture was of an imp...looked like a duck to me

omnitarian
10-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Kappas don't look like ducks, sillies. It's not a bill, it's a monkey-5-O'clock-shadow. Behold.

http://www.geocities.com/omnitarian/impdisect.txt

MJN SEIFER
10-21-2003, 08:34 PM
http://www.rpgicons.com/images/icons/ff6/pcs/kappa/battle.gif This sprite looks Ducky to me....

The Man
10-21-2003, 08:36 PM
not really

i90east
10-22-2003, 12:12 AM
Yes it does :D Hey, if a duck was human shaped and could stand up, it would look something like that.

MJN SEIFER, even in the regular version of the game Imp rarely worked on enemies.

m4tt
10-22-2003, 12:15 AM
It works if you cast Vanish first! Or atleast it always has for me.

Atma Weapon
10-24-2003, 07:16 AM
A lot of enemies are guarenteed to get critical hits if you cast imp on them though.

GogoTheMimic
11-25-2003, 12:07 AM
I remember reading something about Kappas because that's what Kapp'n in Animal Crossing is. Apparently they are evil creatures that lie in wait at beaches and eat people or something. The only way to defeat them is to bow in front of them and they have to bow back to you, spilling the bowl of water on their heads, then they leave ashamed or die or something. I swear to God that I'm not making this up. Japanese cluture is so weird. oO

Edgar
11-25-2003, 12:18 PM
btw, Vanish should be nerfed.

Arg, played too much MMORPGs *dies*

Sasquatch
11-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Actually, if you can get all the Imp gear, cast Imp on somebody and equip them with all of it, you can make one hellova fighter. Can't use magic or their skill, but if you do it to somebody who's skill isn't too useful anyway (like, in my opinion, Cyan or Strago), then you're not losing much and gaining a lot. But I'm sure that's well-known.

Some enemies, you can cast Imp on them and they'll do the exact same attacks as when they were normal. Like the Intangr on Triangle Island, you can cast Imp on him but he'll still use that Fireball spell.

ForeverZeroUltima
11-29-2003, 11:48 PM
green ducks...5 o'clock monkeys...what the hell?
i just don't see how all this connects.
kappa is supposed to be a 'water demon'...imp is supposed to be like a small 'playful' version of a giant flying demon.

i...i...i just don't see how all this connects.

Lord Chainsaw
12-01-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by GogoTheMimic
I remember reading something about Kappas because that's what Kapp'n in Animal Crossing is. Apparently they are evil creatures that lie in wait at beaches and eat people or something.

Kappas would lie in wait in the water and drown children.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-02-2003, 12:34 AM
They also possess, to whatever extent, some vampiric qualities.

Flying Mullet
12-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Lord Chainsaw
Kappas would lie in wait in the water and drown children.
From drowning children to teaching them how to use Gau's abilities on the Veldt. Square sure took a few liberties with this one (not that they've never taken any liberties before). :D

ForeverZeroUltima
12-03-2003, 12:31 AM
not to mention that in FF7 they changed the imp/kappa to Toad....how strange...

TheAbominatrix
12-03-2003, 01:47 AM
They had toad spells before VII, they just choose to return to those. Check out IV, they have toad and piggy and small, none of those are related to Kappa.

Japanese video games always have these references... remember in Super Mario Bros. 3, when you'd get the flying Racoon looking suit? I cant remember what it's called in Japan, but if I remember right it makes noises and hides in the forest and inflates it's testicles or something.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-03-2003, 02:06 AM
It's a tanuki, a "raccoon-dog" that actually exists (scientific name: Canis viverriuns, nyctereutes, procyonoides), but it has a role in Japanese mythology, too. In folklore, they're known for the mischief they cause, particularly by loudly playing their enormous testicles like the drums. (Male tanuki really do tend to adhere to this trait, by the way, as a matter of natural selection; female tanuki prefer their mates equipped. In any case, the Japanese culturally regard the tanuki's huge testes--called "kin-tama," or "golden balls"--as symbols of good luck rather than sex.)

Tanuki are also said to be able to turn leaves into fake money, which is why Rocky from Pocky & Rocky throws leaves to attack, as well as why grabbing a leaf in Super Mario Bros. 3 will turn Mario into Raccoon Mario. Like the kitsune, they posses the power to transform to disguise themselves, which explains why Tanuki Mario is able to assume the form of a statue.

Lord Chainsaw
12-06-2003, 04:18 AM
The Raccoon at the end of each level in Legend of The Mystical Ninja was also a Tanuki.

You would break the spinning raccoon and coins would fly out depending on what position you broke him in.

And speaking of Pocky and Rocky, a level in the second game (Level 4) was called none other than:

Bridge over Kappa River!

It was full of those green imps that we all know and love from FF6. Except they would damage you and if I remember correctly, try to pull you into the water.