PDA

View Full Version : Revival of an old plan...

Citizen Bleys
10-22-2003, 03:44 PM
Remember this summer when we had that discussion in staff about setting up an EoFF Cafepress store, but it fell through because Cafepress turned into a bunch of greedy bastards from hell? (Sidenote: I made, bought, and deleted my own EoFF T. Just "Eyes On Final Fantasy" in Annifont on the breast, but still unique as of now)

I found an alternative.

Well, one of my former classmates found an alternative.

http://www.zazzle.com/

Apparently, it's more customizable than Cafepress was, and cheaper to boot. It's only apparel, so you can't do cool stuff like the coffee mug, but you *can* make shirts in any color, not just white like Cafepress could. You can specify any 24-bit color (Specify a number from 0-255 for red, another for green, and another for blue, just like making color hex codes for web pages or defining a color in Photoshop). I haven't looked at it in detail myself, but so far it's looking pretty good.

Flying Mullet
10-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Nice, with all of those colors we could have Ed's Technicolor Nightmare walking the streets. Sounds interesting.

TheAbominatrix
10-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Oh man I would love to make things like this part of my wardrobe. As long as they come in extra small, that is. I'll get pink and red and black and yellow oh my! :D *is tacky*

eestlinc
10-22-2003, 04:03 PM
you know, last night I was thinking we should make EoFF Tshirts, so of course I am for this.

Citizen Bleys
10-22-2003, 04:23 PM
Well, EoFF T-shirts is an idea that had been bandied about for <i>two freaking years</i> and of course, as soon as we were ready to actually implement the bloody things, Cafepress pulled the rug out from under us. Bastards.

The thing I'm noticing about Zazzle is the disclaimer at the bottom of the page where they list the shirts--Apparently, the way they bind the images to the shirt, colors stack--so if you have a yellow shirt, and you put a blue image on it, you come up with green, which sucks. So if you put white text on a black shirt, the text will look gray. I'm not sure how bad the binding is, but I'd be tempted to only offer white shirts, at least initially.

eestlinc
10-22-2003, 04:33 PM
we could offer colored shirts with black text.

Loony BoB
10-22-2003, 05:13 PM
I still wouldn't buy it if it wasn't black. Maybe I'll get one custom made sometime, they have to do them somewhere. Just haven't found a place that does them in black yet...

EDIT: http://www.funnytshirtstore.com/createsaying.html

Not a shop, mind you. =/

Leeza
10-22-2003, 06:12 PM
I was just thinking about this as well. I wanted to get the Sephy banner imprinted onto a shirt.

I think that the shirts from Zazzle would be very good quality and their method of imprinting excellent because the colours would actually go right into the fabric. The prices and shirt style choices are really good too because you don't have to stick to just a plain T. I like those Henley's, but they don't have a price for them. :(

The store that you linked to, BoB, has iron on decals. Those do not look very good after a few washings because the decal is actually a big square or rectangle shape of plasticy stuff and it eventually turns yellowy and really doesn't look good on a white or light coloured shirt. I have one of those and it really tends to look tacky after a bit of wear.

The Man
10-22-2003, 07:37 PM
I'd consider getting one.

Citizen Bleys
10-22-2003, 09:26 PM
Well, as the disclaimer says, darker colors are less susceptible to the color combination problem, too; EoFF has generally been blue/cyan on DARK blue (and some black), so it would probably be pretty easy to create a good black EoFF T or sweatshirt.

Loony BoB
10-22-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Leeza
The store that you linked to, BoB, has iron on decals. Those do not look very good after a few washings because the decal is actually a big square or rectangle shape of plasticy stuff and it eventually turns yellowy and really doesn't look good on a white or light coloured shirt. I have one of those and it really tends to look tacky after a bit of wear.

How are the other ones done? Just curious. I want a black T-shirt ;_;"

Citizen Bleys
10-22-2003, 09:30 PM
It says on the site. Something about molecular bondage. *breaks out whips and chains*

Loony BoB
10-22-2003, 09:46 PM
Mrawr. You can molecularly bond with me any time you like, snookums. ;D *throws over the handcuffs and dims the lights*

Er, that is to say, uh, okay. Molecular bondage. Rawkin'. Can they do that on a black T-shirt yet?

edczxcvbnm
10-22-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by The Dude
Nice, with all of those colors we could have Ed's Technicolor Nightmare walking the streets. Sounds interesting.

Its called Tidedye(or however you spell the frickin word) :D

Maybe it is just me but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a shirt or anything like that. I don't buy normal clothes just because they put the name of the company who made the shirt on the shirt. Unless what ever design you put on the shirt is so unbelievable cool...it just wouldn't be happenin' for me.

How many people would realistically buy these shirts anyways?

Killy
10-22-2003, 09:54 PM
Ill buy if it doesnt involve gettign a credit card.

Loony BoB
10-22-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by edczxcvbnm
Unless what ever design you put on the shirt is so unbelievable cool...it just wouldn't be happenin' for me.

How many people would realistically buy these shirts anyways?
I would if it was on a black t-shirt.

*puts edc's avatar onto a t-shirt with UNLEASH TEH FURY!!!1 on the back*

Citizen Bleys
10-22-2003, 10:56 PM
Yes, you can get it in black.

Strider
10-22-2003, 11:49 PM
I'd be for the idea. If I ever got some money, I'd buy something, too.

But how would you maintain the sales of that stuff? Does the site actually handle the supply and demand themselves, or we would have to have someone from here do that?

Citizen Bleys
10-23-2003, 12:10 AM
The shirts are printed to order, just like with Cafepress.

Leeza
10-23-2003, 12:13 AM
<i>How are the other ones done? Just curious. I want a black T-shirt ;_;"</i> - BoB

Here's what the site has to say about how they do their printing, etc. I looked at all of the colours though and I can't see anything in Black. :(

The images are soft and breathable, there is no overprint around the image area, and the images have a "wash fastness" equal to or better than other 100% cotton printing methods. Choose from a variety of styles and sizes. Brilliant Colors produce photographic quality, and are imprinted by a new digital technology that chemically bonds the ink to the cotton molecules. The resulting image is vibrant and durable, without that "decal-like" feel typically imparted by other heat transfer and screenprint methods.

NOTE: If you want the image on your apparel to be most similar to the Colors represented in the product galleries, you should choose apparel with a white face. If you select a colored garment, the Colors of the resultant image — though still vibrant and durable — will differ from the Colors represented in the galleries.

Why? Unlike the heat transfer and screenprint methods utilized by other printing processes, Zazzle does not merely adhere color pigments to the top of the fabric. Rather, our new digital printing technology chemically fuses the ink with the fabric molecules for superior feel and durability. The resulting image color is a combination of the ink dyes and the fabric color. When choosing an image with yellow Colors to print on a blue shirt, for instance, the final image will appear light green. The darker image Colors are, of course, less affected — a black image will appear black on all shirt Colors.

RSL
10-23-2003, 12:18 AM
I'd buy a shirt if this happened.

Citizen Bleys
10-23-2003, 12:19 AM
The guy who told me about this assured me that SOMEWHERE on that site, you can enter in RGB components and come up with your own colors, but I never spent too much time on the site myself--I don't have a board to open a shop for anymore :p

Flying Mullet
10-23-2003, 12:40 AM
It'd be fun to have an EOFF day where everyone wears their EOFF T-shirt on the off chance that you could run into someone else that frequents EOFF in the real world and you wouldn't have known it otherwise(I know, it's a strecth, but it's one of those "small world" things).

Shlup
10-23-2003, 01:23 AM
*only reads first post before leaving for school*

Awesome, Bleys. I'm glad you found that 'cause I've given up on Cafepress. I'll look into this more later.

Garland
10-23-2003, 01:39 AM
Depending on how easy they are to order (a credit card online would be ideal), I'd pick one up - preferably a sweatshirt in the EoFF colors (the blue scheme, not black).

Yamaneko
10-23-2003, 02:49 AM
Sounds like a plan.

Strider
10-23-2003, 03:07 AM
If you need help with advertising or anything to the general public here, I'll try my hand at it. ;)

eestlinc
10-23-2003, 04:59 AM
It would be cool if you randomly ran into someone else wearing the shirt.

Shlup
10-23-2003, 05:26 AM
I hope I'm not jumping the gun, but because the staff agreed to this before Cafepress sucked and I know I'm looking forward to it, I'm going to go ahead and say that this is going to happen.

I suppose... we'll start working out the details in the staff forum or something.

eestlinc
10-23-2003, 05:45 AM
I saw we form a committee to design the shirt. five or six people from various sections of the eoff membership.

Strider
10-23-2003, 06:01 AM
I'll volunteer to be a part of it, if volunteers are welcome. What section of the membership would I come from, anyway?

eestlinc
10-23-2003, 06:02 AM
regular member, i suppose. my suggestion will probably be shot down anyway. :D

Del Murder
10-23-2003, 06:34 AM
I don't now why you even bother.

Shlup
10-23-2003, 06:56 AM
As for EoFF members contributing: That's been made part of the discussion. We'll probably need a couple of days, but we'll let everyone know for sure when decisions are made. It takes at least 24 hours, usually.

Loony BoB
10-23-2003, 12:04 PM
I registered yesterday to check it out, it seems that you can only choose the colours/shades for a rectangular patch on the front/back. The rest of the t-shirt stays a defined colour, in this case it seems to be white. =/

HOOTERS
10-23-2003, 01:02 PM
Wait a minute...you're telling me that people are actually gonna pay and quite possibly wear a t shirt that says EoFF on it?

Haha, good one.

Leeza
10-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Yes?

Yamaneko
10-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Wait a minute...you're telling me that people are actually gonna pay and quite possibly wear a t shirt that says Nike on it?

Haha, good one.

HOOTERS
10-24-2003, 02:21 PM
But with Nike you can sleep safe at night knowing the shirt you wear out is of highest quality because a group of 10 year-old kids in india made sure it was so to increase their chances of earning their one dollar and fifty cents that week.

Heath
10-24-2003, 08:54 PM
What if it said <b>E</b>ff<b>oFF</b> on it? People would buy it then.

</ stolen>

Radje
10-25-2003, 02:08 PM
It would be an amazing thing to run into someone else wearing the t-shirt. I volunteer to help design. If, or course, volunteers are taken.

Zell's Fists of Fury
10-25-2003, 09:52 PM
I'm osrry, but if there was a group of people walking around together with a bunch of final fantasy website t-shirts, I would have no part of it. My coolness suffers greatly from even being a part of this jallopy, I don't need to go around advertising it.

Witht hat being said, I'd gladly buy an EoFF beanie. As long as it said EffOFF

edczxcvbnm
10-30-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Yamaneko
Wait a minute...you're telling me that people are actually gonna pay and quite possibly wear a t shirt that says Nike on it?

Haha, good one.

But the nike shirt I own says 'Just do it' on the back so it is totally worth it!

As long as my shirt BoB PMed me about doesn't say EoFF anywhere on it(except maybe a little trademark thing in ultra fine print at the bottom) then I would maybe consider it. But still...probably not. I would wear a shirt that strickly said 'Unleash the Fury' like my old signature had it. Now that would just plain rule all!