PDA

View Full Version : Opera 2.0

Flying Mullet
10-23-2003, 05:40 PM
If you were to redo a scene or add a scene to the opera, what would you do?

Outsider
10-23-2003, 06:44 PM
Celes would be wearing nothing but a ribbon... Yeah, that would be cool... LOL

Nah, I'm just kidding... I think that the Opera was great the way it was... Maybe I would put some voices instead of those strange sounds...

"OOO... OOOOO OOO OOOOOOOO"... You know what I mean...

m4tt
10-23-2003, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I'd add voices instead of the noises. The music is perfect, the actual scene itself is wonderful. Just those "Oooo OoOo" noises are annoying.

i90east
10-23-2003, 07:15 PM
Is it just me, or did it seem like the words didn't fit well with the tune? Well I guess Woosley isn't a song writer, lol! So I'd have the words redone, and have it sung by someone. I'm sure if Square redid the game in 3D, the Opera would be better. Oh yeah, the Opera scene would be awesome in 3D.

omnitarian
10-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Well, I imagine it would be difficult to translate lyrics with the issuses of rythm and syllabic restrictions.

The Man
10-23-2003, 08:54 PM
There was a much better version of the lyrics translated posted somewhere. Only problem was, they didn't rhyme, but who cares about that.

Um anyway. I'd add a proper conclusion to the Opera. There actually is a recorded version of the opera featuring an additional movement, but it's in Japanese so I can't understand what actually happens in it; it's fairly similar to "Aria di Mezzo Carattere" in melody.

BG-57
10-23-2003, 09:53 PM
There is a CD that features an orchestrated version of the aria with an actual singer. It's quite beautiful.

Also I'd make that huge weight Ultros is pushing actually movable. It just sits there for the rest of the game. If it wasn't in the way you could drop down onto the stage.

The Man
10-23-2003, 10:00 PM
Yeah, there's also an mp3 that features the entire opera orchestrated and vocalised (as I mentioned before). I like that version more, since it's not just the aria, but eh :P One difference is that the version of the Aria is in Italian while the version of the opera is in Japanese, so if you like Italian more I suppose the version of the Aria will appeal to you :P

Strider
10-23-2003, 11:14 PM
One reason I came up with to try and explain why the notes didn't always apparently fit the words was just the simple idea that they might've used the same note on three or four straight words. They don't really distinguish a whole lot, but that makes sense to me.

The Man
10-24-2003, 01:50 AM
I think the notes all fit in the Japanese version; Woolsey just didn't care about making them fit in the English version.

But yeah, I entertained that idea too.

Outsider
10-24-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by i90east
Oh yeah, the Opera scene would be awesome in 3D.

I'll keep saying that if FF6 had some beautiful 3D graphics everyone would say it's the best FF ever...

Prince GFono
10-24-2003, 04:27 AM
Nah...I like the graphics the way they are

Outsider
10-24-2003, 08:15 AM
I like the old 2D graphics, of course... I'm just saying that there are people that don't like the game for it's old graphics, that's all

Daryl
10-24-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Deathjester
I think the notes all fit in the Japanese version; Woolsey just didn't care about making them fit in the English version.

Or maybe the notes fit with the Italian version (for the Aria, at least)? I'm not sure.

Yeah, the only change I'd make, like others have said, would be to plug in voices. I really am thinking of making a project out of that. Hm.

Oh, and adding more story to the opera could have been nice, too. I guess it had to be short for gameplayers' attention spans. Heh.

LingaringBell
10-26-2003, 07:11 PM
Well i am a music major and i have to say that the words and melody actually go together pretty well, like you said it was originally in japanese, which makes it hard to fit all that stuff together, but they a pretty good job, it doesn't seem like one of those old godzilla movies does it? Oh and about the Italian thing, I believe that the FF opera is actually loosely based off a real italian opera. And i know you guys think that it would be cool to have real words, but it wouldn't have fit very well back with those old snes graphics and 16 bit midi sound capabilities just don't really work with actual vocals, so haveing it all the same "quality" so to say made it all flow together very nice.

crono_logical
10-26-2003, 11:08 PM
*coughSNESTalesOfPhatasiaIntroThemecough*

And not just the song, the characters also said stuff in battle in that SNES game :p Star Ocean was also voiced, though I don't remember that game having a song with full vocals in.

LingaringBell
10-27-2003, 07:14 AM
I'm sorry, but i have never played the game that you speak of, but if vocals are used during an intro or something like that not really in game play, it is a different method by which they can do it. If you really want to get technical about it, the old 16 bit system used midi sounds, well have you ever gotten a midi sound file, not possible to put vocals on to them, vocals must be saved in a more advanced form of waves in which the frequencies can be distributed properly. So, for the old games to have them they needed to imput completely independ sound files for each voice, each of which would of been a humongous file, kinda like the size of a .wav file to a .mp3, i imagine that the voices used in battles, even though i have never actually played the game like i said (however now I am very curious), were simple sounds that were repeated often. If you want a more modern example, think about one of the first talking rpg's, Lunar: Silver Star Story complete (I think that was it's full name) on the PS 1, if you remember they didn't really use the voices during game play, only that one time when luna was chasing the ship, and anouther that I can't really recall at the moment, sorry it has been along time since I played it, and in other games such as Zelda: Ocarina of time, the characters make noises yes, but they are the same noises used over and over again, and not very complex.

crono_logical
10-27-2003, 10:51 AM
Doesn't really matter what method they used, the fact they got a vocalised song is enough to show that the SNES is capable enough for doing the same during the Opera scene (although I doubt they'd worked out how back in FF6's time) - all the Opera scene would require is several smaller pieces of song which would play back-to-back, the selection of which pieces play depending on whether you choose the right lyrics during the game or not. The same sound engine could just be used though.

As for voices in battle, if by simple and repetitive you mean all the characters have their own voices and call out the name of the spell/technique they are performing, then yeah, that's what they do :p Tales of Phantasia on the SNES has over 100 of these voice samples. Star Ocean has more since it also has phrases for each character for different situations and more characters.

It's a shame these two games weren't officially translated so you'll never find them in your usual English/American game stores, but you can always download ROM images of them off the internet and run them through an emulator to see the technology they use :p

LingaringBell
10-27-2003, 04:57 PM
You make me more and more curious about those two games, do you know a site that I can download them off of, since alot of good rom sites have been shut down. The battle speach that you are talking of, is still by standards, "simple", a one word phrase or alittle more then that, not to large of a set back in a game. I think when it really comes down to it the opera in ff6 probably would have required so many huge sound files, (one for every possible mistake, not just the correct words), and don't forget that the opera was quite a large thing, so they probably couldn't add lyrics because of size complications, and just over all irritation that would have been caused by trying to do it all. I think i am gonna write a letter the Nobuo and ask him, maybe he knows, hehe.

crono_logical
10-27-2003, 05:48 PM
Hmm, I guess there is a lot of audio looking at the soundtrack - the length of the three parts that have singing in is almost 13 minutes, even though not all of it requires voice. The Aria itself in the game is 4 minutes though, so I guess that bit at least might be possible, when you look at the size difference between the ROMs of FF6 and ToP/SO (those two are the largest two SNES ROMs in existence, both each double the size of FF6 :p ). Oh well, I guess it'll never happen though, did they even bother with vocals in the PSX remake? :p

I think you'll have to resort to filesharing programs for the ROMs, I can't find any working download sites on Google either :p SO has extra graphics complications though so that one will end up at around a 10 MB download instead of 6 MB to get the patches to make the graphics work in the emulator.