PDA

View Full Version : "The World is Square"

MJN SEIFER
10-23-2003, 10:36 PM
In Daryls Tomb in the WOR There is a message saying "The World Is Square" Does that mean that the FF6 world is Square Shaped (As aposed to Round like ours) or is it just Square showing off there name?

Flying Mullet
10-23-2003, 10:39 PM
I imagine it's a just a random reference to the company. Since solving the puzzle tells you how to get the experience egg, they had to come up with some phrase to piece together, and I imagine it's just a bit of light hearted fun saying that they own the video game world, much like the tombstone in FFI that either has Erdrick or Link on it.

Zifnab
10-23-2003, 10:52 PM
The world really is square. Since when did flying up to the North Pole make you appear all the way down at the South Pole?

The Man
10-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Yeah, it's a pun on the fact that the world actually is square-shaped, while the name of the company is in fact Square.

This puzzle was evidently something completely different in the Japanese version, but it wouldn't translate over to English so we got "The World Is Square" instead.

Strider
10-23-2003, 11:11 PM
That's what they call a double entendre. They mean both.

Doomgaze
10-24-2003, 07:53 AM
Actually, the world is a Torus.

Daryl
10-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by El Mariachi
That's what they call a double entendre. They mean both.

Yeah, that was my thought.

omnitarian
10-24-2003, 04:48 PM
All it takes is a flight in the airship to prove that FF6's world is a flawless orb.

(Not to mention the part (After Keffers blows up the Earth) where you actually see the circle-shaped globe.

MagicKnight Locke
10-24-2003, 09:06 PM
i read somewhere it was a hint to getting an item(economizer or something like that)

Flying Mullet
10-24-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by MagicKnight Locke
i read somewhere it was a hint to getting an item(economizer or something like that)

Originally posted by The Dude
Since solving the puzzle tells you how to get the experience egg, they had to come up with some phrase to piece together...

Doomgaze
10-25-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by omnitarian
All it takes is a flight in the airship to prove that FF6's world is a flawless orb.

All it takes is a flight in the airship to prove that FF6's world is a torus. Try it again, chief. Pay more attention to what happens at the north and south ends of the map.

crono_logical
10-25-2003, 07:56 AM
I'm with Doomgaze on this :p It's probably meant to be round though, but I guess they either didn't notice, or were unable to implement a spherical map correctly on the SNES :p

i90east
10-25-2003, 03:35 PM
Yeah, you can't wrap a square into a sphere. The world is square, no doubt about it :)

omnitarian
10-25-2003, 05:17 PM
Except for the fact that you could not fly around a square-shaped world without the horizon disappearing.

Anyway, it just dawned on me that flying to the North pole will not instantly teleport you to the south pole. Foiled by my own simplistic logic. :p

The Man
10-25-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by crono_logical
I'm with Doomgaze on this :p It's probably meant to be round though, but I guess they either didn't notice, or were unable to implement a spherical map correctly on the SNES :p They didn't bother implementing a spherical world on the PlayStation games, either, though; they probably could have if they'd wanted to, but I think a square world just has a lot less logistical nightmares :P

crono_logical
10-26-2003, 03:42 AM
I don't think a spherical world map would be hard to implement if you approximated it to a icosahedron then subdivided each triangular face into 3 smaller ones and repeat until you get the desired resolution you need for it to appear spherical enough when flying over, then map over that new structure :p Whether that can be done on a SNES, I don't know (probably not), but they had no excuse to not try that on the PSX :p

Back to the phrase though, does anyone know what it says in the Japanese version, or am I going to have to play that far? I've only just arrived on the Veldt so still got quite a way to go if I'm to check for myself :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-26-2003, 03:55 AM
Didn't FFVIII have a global map?

crono_logical
10-26-2003, 04:15 AM
I don't think I've seen any RPG with a world map that acts like a globe properly, even if they render it slightly round to give the illusion.

I think the biggest problem would be having a miniature flat on-screen representation of the map that doesn't rotate and isn't confusing to the average player at the same time (let's face it, most of them are dumb :D ) - I'm sure you've all seen what happens if you 'peel' a globe and lay it flat and get the orange peel slice type effect.

nova
10-26-2003, 11:46 PM
here the world is obviously spherical. i think square was showing off.

http://terra000.free.fr/screen/059.GIF

crono_logical
10-26-2003, 11:47 PM
No, the world in that picture is spherical. When you get to fly on the world map in the game though and physically see what it is, it acts like a torus as previously said.

Besides, it only shows part of that 3D object, it might be a torus off screen and/or in the shadow :p

Doomgaze
10-27-2003, 06:59 AM
There IS a problem with a spherical world, actually. It would be too small - for it to work properly, you'd need a HUGE world. Otherwise the worlds would look like the ones in Kingdom Hearts (the way they do from space, i mean)

Zifnab
10-27-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
Didn't FFVIII have a global map?
Good point, it had a sphere map and a flat map. I don't know how that'd work out though.

Miles_the_11
10-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Using my logic mind that I have I see it this way

FF6 world map shows that once you rerach the top then you appear at the bottom. Maybe the center of the map is the furthest north but that does not prove it to be a sphere shape. the center top, center bottom, center left and center right should represent the south but those points dont join. It can not be defined with 3 dimentions so there must be a 4th dimention.

FF8 does have a rotating world map but that still doesnt show that everything is repeated on the same part of the planet :D :mog:

try making a sphere shape out of paper (paper being the shape of the world map)

The Man
10-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Doomgaze
There IS a problem with a spherical world, actually. It would be too small - for it to work properly, you'd need a HUGE world. yes, unfortunately.

I'm waiting for the RPG that has a world map large enough for something like this to happen. :(

Doomgaze
11-01-2003, 06:51 AM
No, it works fine in 3d, Miles.

http://www.math.hmc.edu/faculty/gu/curves_and_surfaces/surfaces/torus.gif

Sephectja
11-01-2003, 04:02 PM
There is a way to get the north and south points on the map. Get half the width of the sqare and divide by two. You then make sure both parts are the same distance apart and you will get some sorta valid north-south points. Another small comment:

It is possable to make a flat piece of paper into a sphere.... Only you have to crunch it up into a paper ball :P. Plus, how'd you know they diddnt use "The world is square" as a random comment :P

DocFrance
11-01-2003, 10:11 PM
OK, listen up. Here's the deal. If the worlds in FF were really globes (including FF8 with it's "spherical" map), then this would be possible:

1. Go to the north pole.
2. Walk south five steps.
3. Walk east five steps.
4. Walk north five steps.
5. Where do you end up? The north pole.

If you do the same thing on a torus, you would not end up in the same place you started. Try this in any FF. That alone prove that the FF worlds are toruses (tori?).

Edgar
11-13-2003, 11:39 AM
True :)

The East and West meet but the North and South should not meet, so yes, it's a torus.

Wetflame
11-24-2003, 02:48 PM
O_O

The Torus thing hurts my head! Someone please show me a pic of a Torus cause last time I checked a Torus was a ring or a complex 4 dimenisional shape respresented somehwat like a Mobius loop in 3D.

AAAARGH MY HEAD IS BEING WARPED BY THE OVERLY COMPLEX GEOMETRY!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

matt_in_the_hat
11-25-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Doomgaze
No, it works fine in 3d, Miles.

http://www.math.hmc.edu/faculty/gu/curves_and_surfaces/surfaces/torus.gif

This is a torus. Not complex at all, just a donut. :)

DJZen
12-14-2003, 07:26 AM
It's all relative, the world in these games could be a very tiny sphere close to the sun, that would explain the not having polar ice caps. Also, this about the center of the square map being the north pole, and the 4 corners meeting up at the south pole. I dunno, it's all just conjecture anyway. Oh, and the Famicom version of FF2 had a sphere world map. I'm curious how they managed to get that to work on the system's hardware.

Edgar
12-14-2003, 08:59 AM
Now that you mention the polar caps, everything begins to be quite logical.

Setzer the Gambler
01-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Yes, the world is Square, it is kind of a publicity...