PDA

View Full Version : Technical help: How do I get rid of this echo?

Farrel
10-28-2003, 08:14 PM
Hi Guys,

I've been having a problem with my laptop and I'm all out of ideas, Daniel suggested I post here as you all have been kind enough to fix each and every one of his technical issues apparently...

The problem I have is this.

My laptop is giving a weird echo effect on just about every mp3 and movie file I play on it. If you turn the sound up and then right the way down again quickly, the effect is most noticable... Normally, the sound -should- die away the moment the volume slider hits the bottom... But instead you can still here the last little bits of noise die away for a second or two.

Oddly enough, if you stop the player, there isn't any echo... It's almost like it's been added as an after effect.

It's not really a critical problem, but basically it means that whenever I listen to something, it sounds like I dropped the speakers down a well...

I know it's not the speakers themselves, as I've tried on a set of headphones, and gotten the same effect... And it doesn't seem to be windows media player, as I've tried some other software too.

One thing seemed to help, although it didn't solve the problem totally, I did a system restore to the start of august (as far back as it would go)... That reduced the echo... but didn't remove it entirely.

Any ideas?

(I'm gonna try degfragmenting the hard drive next... Can't hurt... Might help.)

Dr Unne
10-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Some sound cards (Creative for example) allow you to set up special effects, echo for example. You can also make it sound like you're in a concert hall, or stadium, or bathroom, or cave, etc. If you have a Creative soundcard maybe check your settings and see if you have some kind of environmental effects enabled. Defragging is most likely not going to do anything.

Farrel
10-28-2003, 09:17 PM
*Nods* Thanks... As it turns out that's exactly what the problem is...

Seems I must have managed to flip it onto another setting without noticing a while ago.

No idea how I did it though xD

*sighs* Now if only there were a way of getting all my save games back xD

Never mind... I wanted to start over in most of them anyway.

Thanks again :)