PDA

View Full Version : FFIX: the better hero

Phil
10-29-2003, 03:42 AM
This is my opinion, but I think that Zidane has been the best FF hero so far, as partaining to male main charachters. He had a lighter attitude, and had an original weapon. Cloud and squall were massive-blade slingin' monsters with a "I hate creation" attitude. Now, for the best supporting woman, I'd have to go with Dagger. She played just as much if not more of a role as Zidane. FF7 was completely possible without Tifa. Aeris, isn't really supporting... because of her.. well... you know.. kicking the bucket. Dagger was great, but she was a little too outspoken on some occasions. Best supporting male? Vivi. He was a kick-butt mage with a kind heart. He also was somewhat of a comic releif when Zidane was in his serious moments. Zell and Barret (mr. grizzly bear in a marshmallow :laugh: ) come in a close second. I think FFIX has the majority of good defining charachters. Do you agree? I know this has somewhat to do with other FFs, but I mean for the topic to be why the three roles (Male hero, female hero, supporting hero) in FFIX were all so original and great.

Big D
10-29-2003, 04:17 AM
Zidane was an arrogant, ignorant violent criminal with an overwhelming belief that whatever he does is OK, and that anyone who disagrees deserves pain or death. Not an ideal 'hero', in my opinion. Sure, he had a few virtuous qualities, but an ability to admit his own faults sure isn't one of them.

I agree with you that Garnet was a good heroine, but I still feel that Aeris reigns supreme in that category. Her strength, dedication and willingness to do whatever it takes, were all interesting qualities. She was a touchingly 'tragic' figure, too, going from a troubled beginning, to a harsh life before getting flung into the greatest conflict the world has ever known. Yet she embraced to opportunity to learn about her past and fulfill her life's purpose. Admirable stuff.

TheAbominatrix
10-29-2003, 04:23 AM
I didnt think any of these characters were overly original, nor did any of them endear to me for any reason. I found Zidane to be very annoying and very crass, for many of the reasons Big D stated. Garnet was cool, but to me she was too spoiled. It cant be blamed on her fully, after all she was raised as such, but her "You all have to listen to me" attitude was quiet annoying, though it was rarely present.

As far as heros and heroines go, I think the best came from FF VI and IV, by far. I dont think any of the characters in IX were very original. Maybe a bit off the beaten path for the direction the series took during the Playstation days, but their personalities were very typical of fantasy stories. I thought Vivi was very cute, but I didnt find him overly funny, really.

MagicKnight Locke
10-29-2003, 11:12 AM
jeesh even the "4 heroes appear out of coneria from nowhere" thing was better than zidane.
Who was the best main char of all times?heres my list

ffta-Ritz
ff8-squall
ff6-Locke/Terra/celes
ff5-Butz
ff3j-the 4 cool onion kids :D
ff7-Cloud
ff4-Cecil
ff9-Zidane
ff1-TEH 4 ORB WARRIORS :D
ff2-whats his face-Fryaeuonel?

TheAbominatrix
10-29-2003, 11:15 AM
I still find Zidane to be better than Squall, because at least he had a real personality. Squall was like a pretty cardboard cutout walking around. He was somewhat cool at first, but then he just up and changed who he was, which was silly.

MagicKnight Locke
10-30-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by TheAbominatrix
I still find Zidane to be better than Squall, because at least he had a real personality. Squall was like a pretty cardboard cutout walking around. He was somewhat cool at first, but then he just up and changed who he was, which was silly.
At least squall was serious not some hippy like zidane.

and squall had a personailty.Just because he had a changing one doesnt mean he didnt have one <.<

TheAbominatrix
10-30-2003, 11:35 AM
Zidane was a pretty violent guy. The only thing that makes him a 'hippie' is his longish hair, I'd suppose.

And I really dont feel Squall had much of a personality. It has little to do with his changing, it's just because he was so bland. "Whatever." "Whatever." I understand why, but if I were to meet someone like that, I would be bored with them quickly. Not reacting to anything isnt much of a personality, and it's even less of a personality when he's so quick to change. He couldnt have been very strong or devoted to his ways if he just up and changed in a split second with no real reason.

robfinalfantasy
10-30-2003, 11:37 AM
I think he made a fine hero. Of course he had his faults and negativities since he was just a meer child. Overall he came through and that is all that matters.

MagicKnight Locke
10-30-2003, 03:13 PM
Zidane was a pretty violent guy. The only thing that makes him a 'hippie' is his longish hair, I'd suppose.

And I really dont feel Squall had much of a personality. It has little to do with his changing, it's just because he was so bland. "Whatever." "Whatever." I understand why, but if I were to meet someone like that, I would be bored with them quickly. Not reacting to anything isnt much of a personality, and it's even less of a personality when he's so quick to change. He couldnt have been very strong or devoted to his ways if he just up and changed in a split second with no real reason.
just a note:i am just like squall and that doesnt mean i dont have a personailty,i have A LOT of personality

The Man
10-30-2003, 04:42 PM
Hmm... I actually might like Zidane the most of all the male main characters in any FF games. I certainly like him more than Tidus or Squall, he definitely has more personality than Batz, and I think I like him more than Cloud as well. It's probably a tie between Zidane and Cecil, really.

I didn't really see Zidane as a criminal or anything. Sure he was arrogant and sometimes stole stuff, but he generally seems to want to help people, which I'd say is a good characteristic to have. "You don't need a reason to help people" - good stuff.

As for female heroines... hmm. Um. Terra wins.

Ariel
10-30-2003, 10:22 PM
FFIX was more of an ensemble game. Zidane and Garnet weren't bad characters, but they didn't have "hero and heroine" thing going, to me, anyways. I still liked the game overall - the whole cast made it interesting, not anyone in particular.

TheAbominatrix
10-31-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by MagicKnight Locke
just a note:i am just like squall and that doesnt mean i dont have a personailty,i have A LOT of personality

If you were 'just like Squall' why would you talk to anyone? Squall was a loner and only talked to people when he had to, as a patron of a message board you obviously want to talk to people. Squall is a game character, you would naturally have more personality than him, being real and all.

Kurohime
10-31-2003, 03:07 AM
Zidane? Violent? o_O That's... a first, actually. I just think he has a punk mouth, but I hardly thought of him as violent. Paritally because the atmosphere of the game itself is light-hearted and fluffy, I don't think of any of the characters as particularly violent. Even Brahne. I think of her as powerhungry, not bloodthirsty.

Okay, so now when I think of it, yeah, he WOULD beat the snot outta someone who screwed with his friends, and THEN talk about it later. However, I also see him as a character who wouldn't want to go provoking fights just because he wants to. It's more like, if you've gotta fight to save your ass, fight. If you're fighting to protect a friend, fight. Of course, he's not exactly someone who's particularly willing or able to think things all the way through.

But like I've said a lot of times before, Zidane is my favorite character of all FF characters. I like characters like him, who have really outspoken, upbeat emotions that make them stuff their entire LEGS in their mouths sometimes. Ziddy's got this campy quality that makes him really do-goody, yet he's an outcast of society because he's a theif, so he's gotta be streetsmart.

Eh, anyway, that's just my opinion. The same things that make me really adore Ziddy are what other people absolutely hate about him. ;)

Phil
10-31-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Kurohime
I don't think of any of the characters as particularly violent. Even Brahne. I think of her as powerhungry, not bloodthirsty.

Wow.. I am actually somewhat arguing against Mistress Kuro, master of the greatest game ever, but Kuja seemed a bit bloodthirsty to me. He had a joy in killing, almost like making it into a chess game. He moved his peices, and wanted them to die. He wanted the other side to die too. Everyone was to die, because he wanted all power. He had nothing to loose in his state. Death was his prime concern, below killing Garland. He had a thrill for blood, and a joy in shedding it.

MagicKnight Locke, pleeeeease dont say your "like a charachter". Sorry, but nobody is really like any FF charachtr. They can have some traits, but if you acted like most of the FF charachters in public, you'd be murdered and have your innards hung from lightposts.

TheAbominatrix
10-31-2003, 08:00 AM
I dont mean overly violent, but he is a fighter, which makes him not a hippie.

MagicKnight Locke
10-31-2003, 09:39 AM
If you were 'just like Squall' why would you talk to anyone? Squall was a loner and only talked to people when he had to, as a patron of a message board you obviously want to talk to people. Squall is a game character, you would naturally have more personality than him, being real and all.
ive never been friendly.If youd see me outside a message board u'd title me worse than squall

Big D
10-31-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Kurohime
Zidane? Violent? o_O That's... a first, actually. I just think he has a punk mouth, but I hardly thought of him as violent. Paritally because the atmosphere of the game itself is light-hearted and fluffy, I don't think of any of the characters as particularly violent.Well, he's a thief, an armed one at that. When you're robbing innocent strangers, you don't carry a razor-sharp dagger just in case you're busting for a shave. He's a member of Tantalus, a group that's run on violence - go against Baku's orders, you get thrashed. Want to leave, and he comes after you with a sword.
Remember when Marcus was going to steal the Supersoft? Dr Tot interrupted, and Marcus offered to "take care of him" to make sure that he didn't get caught. Marcus carries a three-foot sword. "Take care of him" = cut his throat and leave him to die. He would've murdered the good doctor if Garnet and Steiner hadn't intervened. Same goes for Zidane's first encounter with Amarant - "I'll knock you out in one minute flat!" or whatever. Zidane knew he was violent enough to incapacitate (wound, knock out or kill) this bigger man in a short time. Whatever way you look at it, Zidane and Tantalus are a brutal bunch. It's probably a good thing that FFIX's atmosphere was so bright and upbeat. If it was as gritty as FFVII, then Tantalus' darker side would've been much more plain to see, and I doubt Zidane would've been such an appealing hero then.

Heath
10-31-2003, 09:03 PM
I thought Vivi was very cute, but I didnt find him overly funny, really.

I felt more sympathy for Vivi than anything.
And as for Zidane, I agree pretty much with Big D's last post.

Phil
10-31-2003, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MagicKnight Locke
ive never been friendly.If youd see me outside a message board u'd title me worse than squall [/QUOTE

Dude... your 11 years old. Your not like squall. You could never BE like squall. But seriously. Zidane was in truth a violent man. He would have showed his evil side but he was never pushed far enough to actually do it. There is however the part in ]Pandemonia, where he gets angry and blows everybody off. He wasn't being trul EVIL, but he was showing somewhat of a darker side than he had before. He would have beaten his comrades up had he been slightly provoked.. I'm sure before the actual game ensues, he'd had some more violent adventures.

Flare_Star
10-31-2003, 10:34 PM
whats with all the zidane haters? i think he is the best char ever! Hes not brutal at all. He just cares for his friends. Take this line for example:
(im not sure if its totally right)

Man:Let's put him(Vivi)in with the rest of them.
(they bring vivi outside the hut and give him a shove)

Zidane: That b******!
(dagger brings zidane out of the area)

Dagger: Those barrels, ive seen the exact same ones at the castle. I dont want you to make trouble, just yet.

Zidane: Ok, but if vivis in danger, i will make trouble.

there.

p.s. everything kuro said.

Cz
11-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Zidane wasn't a great lead, but he wasn't a bad one, either. At least he made a change from the dark, mysterious leads from FFVII and VIII. Although I'm not that fond of him, and he's pretty poor in combat, it could have been a whole lot worse.

FFVI has the best main character, regardless of who you think it is. VI had a great lineup.

MagicKnight Locke
11-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Vincent06

ive never been friendly.If youd see me outside a message board u'd title me worse than squall

Dude... your 11 years old. Your not like squall. You could never BE like squall.

I consider your entire part about me a great stupid pile of discrimination,flaming and insults.And DONT give me that "uuh you little itty baby,you know nothing" routine.
You think all who is less than 13 is a know-nothing baby huh? If you think all who is less than 13 are personalityless babies then i consider you the big baby here. What do you know about me,huh?First think before you say anything.You've never met me and you couldnt possibly know if i was like squall.
I wouldnt make such a big thing about it but i consider you saying that i cant be like squall because i am 12(not 11 btw)a big discrimination
Edit:I just noticed that you are just 2 years older than me.What does that make you?Grandfather of all the living?

As for stuff on topic i think zidane isn't violant.I think he was too quiet instead.A little bit of cloud and squall routine couldn't have hurt

Phil
11-03-2003, 02:42 AM

I consider your entire part about me a great stupid pile of discrimination,flaming and insults.And DONT give me that "uuh you little itty baby,you know nothing" routine.
You think all who is less than 13 is a know-nothing baby huh? If you think all who is less than 13 are personalityless babies then i consider you the big baby here. What do you know about me,huh?First think before you say anything.You've never met me and you couldnt possibly know if i was like squall.
I wouldnt make such a big thing about it but i consider you saying that i cant be like squall because i am 12(not 11 btw)a big discrimination
Edit:I just noticed that you are just 2 years older than me.What does that make you?Grandfather of all the living?

I never said your a baby. I'm just saying that if a kid your age went around with a punk attitued like Squall he'd get his face beaten in. And yes, I'm 2 years older than you. That makes me twice as big, twice as strong, and about twice as smart, because I'm in high school. I'm not calling you dumb. I'm just saying that I'm 14 soon to be 15, and at that age you undergo a big growth spert in my instnace. And I know your not like squall. IF you were, you'd get killed, like previously mentioned. Oh and by calling me a baby, you kinda prooved your own immaturity. I'm not out to flame you or call you stupid. Just point out that a 12 year old and squall could never be anything alike.

Back on topic. Cloud and squall attitues in Ziddy would have killed the plot. He was a loudmouth kid with a good heart. Squall and Cloud were p.o.ed kids with okay hearts and strong senses of justice, like zidane.

Big D
11-03-2003, 10:56 PM
No more critiques of each others' personalities, please. I'm twenty years old, at university, and I still have a heck of a lot to learn about myself and other people. When I was younger, I too had some things in common with Squall. Nothing wrong with thinking you've got a few traits similar to those of a fictional character.

zacks_clone
11-05-2003, 01:33 AM

Squall is alot like me.And i suppose im a cardboard cut out?

I personaly didnt like zidane.He was a good maine character for THIS game.Because of its setting and storyline.Squall was best for his game and Cloud for his.These are totaly diffrent games.you cant compair oranges to apples

Rude
11-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Steering back on topic.

Zidane was a fine lead character. Just like any main character he had his flaws. Big deal, he is only human (or monkey, or Terran, or whatever). I personally found him humorous in his interactions with other characters and I thought it was nice to have a Thief class character be the lead role in a game, which is pretty much against the grain.

And ohh yeah - Hello again everyone, it's been a while since I've posted :)

TheAbominatrix
11-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Squall is alot like me.And i suppose im a cardboard cut out?

*sigh* Well for one, you're a real person, not a pixelated game character thought up by some guys in Japan, so that gives you a one up already, doesnt it? He's a video game character, for the love of beans. An underdeveloped video game character, and for the sake of the thread I wont even get into how silly this entire argument sounds. You're a lot like Squall, not exactly like Squall. I know much more about Squall than about you, because for one I can read up on Squall any day of the week on the net, and two I was in control of him in the game, right? Squall is a walking cardboard cut out, with no real motivations and no drive to be who he is. He changes during the game, drastic and annoying changes that I really didnt see coming, all motivated by a heartless girl (please, no "I'm just like Rinoa and I'm not heartless!") and all within the space of a few days. I think he's one of the worst FF characters ever, even for his game, but then again VIII was marked by bad character development. Then again I dont think VII was the pinnacle for FF acheivement, so obviously some people dont share my views. But they are mine, and it is my opinion, and if you think different then good for you.

luke webster
12-04-2003, 01:23 PM
The best lead hero has got to be Zidane. He has that class double-sided sword thing, and he actually has a sense of humour! But the best anti-hero is Sephiroth. He actually wants to cause harm to the world for a reason (ultimate power). Ultimacea was just a total psycho and Kuja wanted to destroy the world for no reason.:whoa: (P.S. Zell rules!)

DocFrance
12-04-2003, 07:36 PM
Sephiroth isn't an anti-hero, he's an antagonist. An anti-hero is someone who does good things, but he doesn't do them in a good way (for example, bringing villains to justice by killing them).

black orb
12-06-2003, 04:29 AM
>>> Zidane love dangerous stuff so he is the hero indeed..

Vaan
12-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Kuja wanted to destroy the world for no reason.
Kuja wanted to destroy the world because since Zidane surpassed him he knew he was obsolete and was going to die and in a pissed off rage, decided he wanted to take everything down with him.

Tha Cyckest
12-08-2003, 05:05 PM
Actually, I used to kinda be like Squall as well, so I can kinda understand why acted the way he acted. I am not defending Squall in any way (he's far from my favorite ff hero), but I believe that many of the people who hated Squall so much really didn't understand what Square was trying to do with this character. He was a more "mentally inept" person, so you weren't supposed to understand his progression. You weren't supposed to like his "whatever" attitude. You weren't supposed to "get him". He wasn't supposed to be an interesting person! This, of course doesn't excuse the complete personality exchange he had at the end of the game seemingly outta nowhere, but still...

But more on topic, besides Cloud and any of the preferred FFVI protagonists, Zidane is my favorite ff hero! I loved his arrogance and wit all throughout the game. It took me a while to put a name to the person Zidane reminded me of the most, and it just recently came to me. Peter Pan!

In closing, I think we can all agree that Tidus is, without a shadow of a doubt, the worst "thing" those folks at Square ever created. Ever...

TheAbominatrix
12-08-2003, 05:24 PM
Actually Tidus is one of the best, in my opinion. He was so real... he wasnt some big tough guy who could do anything... he had real emotions, he was pulled out of his home into a strange and different world, and he never knew if he'd get home again. He coped surprisingly well, but everyone is quick to call him a pansy because he isnt a tough guy like the past FF heroes. He was a very nice change.

Tha Cyckest
12-08-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Alex DeLarge
Actually Tidus is one of the best, in my opinion. He was so real... he wasnt some big tough guy who could do anything... he had real emotions, he was pulled out of his home into a strange and different world, and he never knew if he'd get home again. He coped surprisingly well, but everyone is quick to call him a pansy because he isnt a tough guy like the past FF heroes. He was a very nice change.

(just my opinion, of course) And that's another thing that always bugged me about Tidus, his way of dealing with getting hurled into a completely different world seemed a tad bit... unrealistic?!? Granted, if any of us were thrown into a new world we would all eventually have to cope with it, and start caring about the people of this strange world, etc. But Tidus came into this new world with a stupid smile on his face as if everything was all right, managed to deal with all the coping in like one day in the game's time, and even tried to question and change some of their cutsoms and traditions just for the hell of it. There was nothing "real" about that.

And to call Tidus a pansy would be an understatement. I've heard of people calling Zidane a pansy because he wasn't a tough guy like the other ff hereos, but there are heroines who are less "pansy" then Tidus! He was definitely a change from the usual FF formula, but change isn't always good apparently... (and that ends my "Tidus bashing" rant:D )

TheAbominatrix
12-08-2003, 06:43 PM
Personally that's how I cope with things, I put a big smile on and hide what I'm feeling. Tidus did that, and he exploded and got angry and sad and all those things, definitly a nice change from emotionless Squall.

Personally, I dont see how he was a pansy, seeing as he was one of the strongest characters in the game, but yeah... to each his own, I just wanted to express my feelings on that.

Phantom_Dream
01-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Just for the record(s). By now, this is getting to bashing not only the game but real people as well. I myself am 13, and I have been said to be over 30 a few times over MSN. I've become used to people not thinking of me being the age I am, usualy thinking I am 14 or 17, and anyhing between. someone CAN be exactly like, let's say, Zidane, just the probability(SP?) is very small. I myself am most like...From the sound of it, Teedus, as some describe him. hiding your emotions with a smile (and sometimes with a simple emotionless look) yet able to burst out sometimes. I've had it that I simply wanted to kill myself. Development of the human mind is normaly done in my stage of life. Also: Teedus, if you ask me, is more a character who tries to hold on to his old world so much and knows that the world he is in now is exactly like his. He easily blends into that since he feels welcomed. Hasn't anyone watched the first scene with al Bhed? He was scared, and had a lot of problems with understanding them. Remember his tone when Rikku talked english the first time? Take note of that. i think i've said enough for now.

ShadyMilkman
04-09-2004, 03:54 AM
I know I'm late in coming... but I wanna defend both Zidane AND Squall. Zidane was a FINE hero. Indeed he did appear to have an attitude that all he did was right... but that slowly faded away as time progressed. Big D.... after reading your first post... if it wasn't for the fact that I know that you're a freakin FF genius and how much I respect and admire that.... I'd think you were the kind who started playing IX, got frustrated, threw your dual shock out the window and burned the discs... ( i know quite a few who have literally done that) Zidane was very genuine. Deep inside, all he wanted was to fulfill his job. Be it his job to tantalus or his job to Garnet or what have you, he just seemed to want to make everyone happy as long as you weren't overly masculine and forceful (like Steiner was) ans Squall actually was one o my favorites of all time. Sure he was yet another Massiv Sword slinging juggernots who hate the world for no reason whatsoever.... or at least he seemed that way.... But his feeligns for Rinoa were beautiful. He'd never admit them if you payed him too, but you could just see it.... you could sense it. He'd do anythign for that girl. So many tiems I wished I could talk to him and tell him that I know how he feels and to not be so shy about it, just tell her. I almost cried once in that game.... which is very odd for me. more later, mom just woke up and chewed me out cause it's like 3 in the morning. lol

Aphelion
04-10-2004, 11:26 PM
Zidane is just another thief, but the diference is: he loves Garnet. That makes him do the right thing (save the world) and be the true hero of the story.

Clyde Arronway
04-11-2004, 01:30 AM
Comparing IX to any others is like comparing apples to oranges. It's more of a humorous cartoon. Zidane is great for his role, and cannot be compared to any others. In the other games, Terra rules all. Shadow would except he's not the 'hero'

cecil is good, cloud is good, squall is bad, butz is bad (bartz is the worst translation i've ever seen, but V doesn't translate anything well at all) frionel is good (firion is a terrible translation too) and I and III don't really have 'heroes'

ShadyMilkman
04-11-2004, 11:37 PM
I forgot to mention this earlier... but we gotta think about one thig I think..... age. Squall was a lonely, confused 18 year old. Surely all of us are, or in my case will be. Zidane is only 16... I think. Dont have the manual handy. What sixteen, seventeen year old doesn't act silly and kind of act like everything he does is right. And what 16 year old isn't a bit of a pervert? and What 18 year old guy doesn't have trouble showing his emotions???? Cloud was over 20 i think... thought... whatever. So he is more mature... it's a natural thing. Then again... Cloud always came across as a macho jackass to me... but thta's another story

Trumpet Thief
04-17-2004, 03:23 AM
I thought Zidane was a great main character and a hero. Although, sometimes I had a bit of a problem with his immaturity, everything else made it better. the thing I liked most about Zidane tohugh, was the mystery behind him.

As Final Fantasy's greatest hero, I have to agree with you Vincent06; Zidane was the best hero, or main character.

Godzilla3001
04-18-2004, 10:01 AM
Yeah, Zidane is brill, Squall is a complete ****head, Cloud pretty cool. But Zidane is the best. Especially his Dyne skill (comparing to other ff9 characters now) is the best, you know you're gonna win when his goes into Trance. Vivi's is cool too though, but could be cooler by only using the amount of MP that just one attack does, but double damage (is that sciving from reality?) but, as I have said many, many times before, Zidane is the greatest hero ever. (6)

Master Quan
05-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Squall is my choice for best Hero because, he never wants to do any heroic deeds yet he does, also he has to deal with all of his inner turmoil of having lost his sister, overcoming that whilst putting his gunblade into Ultimecia is in my opinion a damn sight more heroic that Cloud or Zidane

Armisael
05-25-2004, 12:19 PM
i absolutely agree with vincent06 and with dark dragon knight.

Ragnar[PT]
05-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Main Character:
1º-Zidane
2º-Cloud
3º-Squall

Supporting Female:
1º-Dagger/Garnet
2º-Tifa
3º-Freya

Supporting Male:
1º-Vivi