PDA

View Full Version : Why no IX characters?

Xander
10-31-2003, 10:45 PM
Has anyone else wondered why no FFIX characters make cameos in Kingdom Hearts?
There's 5 FFVII characters, 2 FFVIII characters, and 2 FFX characters, unless there's any others I've forgotten or missed.. but no FFIX characters.

Would you have liked to see any of them in the game?
I think it would have been cool to see Vivi in there somewhere. Do you think they didn't use any for a reason or was it just something that happened?

TheAbominatrix
11-01-2003, 12:10 AM
Well the Moogle of Travese Town was rather IX styled, and there's a Vivi styled black mage on one of Donald's wands. I think the reason none of the characters were really in there is because of their style, it didnt really fit KH, ya know? VII, VIII, and X had characters that looked like real people, IX was too SD.

The Man
11-01-2003, 12:17 AM
Amano designed FFIX. Nomura designed FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, and KH. I think that spells it out quite clearly.

Jalbrean
11-01-2003, 12:18 AM
-edit-

Deathjester beat me to it. ;p

Xander
11-01-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Deathjester
Amano designed FFIX. Nomura designed FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, and KH. I think that spells it out quite clearly.

Oh, I didn't know that ^^ Thanks. That explains it I guess. And yeah I agree they probably wouldn't have fit considering the different style of them.

SuperPac
11-03-2003, 05:58 AM
But still, the characters were changed a bit to fit KH, and the same could've been done to the FFIX characters. I know that Zidane and Vivi at least would have fit in, if done properly.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-03-2003, 07:46 AM
All games only have one character designer. This is out of necessity for a consistent style throughout the cast. Mixing Amano characters into a Nomura cast, therefore, would be distracting and counterintuitive.

remi07
11-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Maybe they're saving them for KH-2.

SuperPac
11-05-2003, 05:12 AM
No, I didn't mean mixing the designers, just the characters.

Advent Child
11-05-2003, 05:14 AM
but since the characters were done by different designers, you're MIXING DESIGNERS.

SuperPac
11-07-2003, 05:48 AM
No, nothing says another designer can't do the same character. Unless, of course, they own the rights to the individual characters. But I would assume Square owns those rights, in which case they can do whatever they want.

Advent Child
11-08-2003, 05:09 AM
i don't think you quite get it. they COULD do it legally but it would be wierd.

Sefie1999AD
11-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
All games only have one character designer. This is out of necessity for a consistent style throughout the cast. Mixing Amano characters into a Nomura cast, therefore, would be distracting and counterintuitive.

I think Yoshitaka Amano and Tetsuya Nomura did some of FF7's character designing together. Amano drew most of the characters and Nomura did their final versions. Some of Amano's designs, especially Aeris and Sephiroth, were almost unaltered in the game.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-08-2003, 05:37 PM
It's the other way around: Nomura made the original designs for FFVII, and then Amano based some paintings on those designs. Same case with FFVIII, but it's not an instance of a real collaboration. Not anyone who draws a picture of Cloud instantly becomes a joint character designer--same case with Amano.

Vaan
11-25-2003, 06:46 AM
Yeah, and there's no way there will be Amano characters in Kingdom Hearts II because Tetsuya Nomura Directs the game and he just wouldn't have it.

DJZen
11-29-2003, 06:59 AM
I'll take the same approach to this that I've always taken with game sequels, we'll wait and see. Meanwhile, yeah, Amano DID do some drawrings of Nomura's characters, and as much as I like Amano and his work, I just thought they looked terrible. It was like he was rushed or not at all interested in the project. One thing's for sure though, Moogles ARE an Amano creation, and the character design for the Disney characters was DEFINITELY not by Nomura, unless you count the designs for Donald and Goofy. These are an example of how Characters can be adapted to fit a particular character designer's style. And btw, check out your game credits more, 'cause there's often several different designers for a game's characters. Usually, you'll find credits for Character Design, Enemy Design, Boss Design and Object Design. Now, it's possible that the original concepts were designed by someone different, but when you go to make the game, you have to turn a 2D illustration into a sprite or a 3D model. I honestly doubt Nomura or Amano have ever done this, but if they have I'll gladly retract that statement.

Vaan
12-01-2003, 09:23 AM
Sure, moogles are an Amano creation, but even so, they're in nearly every Final Fantasy, and they just had to have them in there. I'm talking about Zidane, Terra, Cecil, and such. It's not going to happen for the next game. I'd stake my life on it. And like I said Tetsuya Nomura is DIRECTING it. It's his vision so I don't think he'll be using any Amano characters other than moogles and possibly chocobos.

Gene Ohm
12-04-2003, 12:23 PM
actually as far as i know no one from ffix has ever been on a spin off game anyway, but it goes without saying i woulda liked to have seen zidane and kuja in it
btw, the kh versions of many of the chars look different from there original styles so does that really come into it?

TheAbominatrix
12-04-2003, 12:46 PM
Because IX characters are not normally built. They're 'SD', big-headed and small-bodied. VII, VIII, and X had characters built to normal scale, hence where the design issue comes in. They changed the designs and art style slightly, made some characters younger, but they didnt change their dimensions.

lost_dreamer
12-09-2003, 03:23 PM
its because they're going to be in khII...i should know...i gave them the idea...my father works with squaresoft...but i still think its sad that he made me get married at 13...*sigh*

eternalshiva
12-09-2003, 03:56 PM
really? that sucks :/ at 13? that sounds almost illegal but you live in Japan so the rules are probably different xD

What Characters are they using? do you know?

MateriaBladeVII
12-10-2003, 04:57 AM
Oh geez, "wussybehemoth" (lol- I keep wanting to call you eternalshiva. why the hell did you change it?)- you actually believe this guy? lol. Even if his dad did work with Squaresoft, do you really think they'd reveal the information to all of its employees? And even if he was one of the few employees to know the facts, do you think he'd really tell his son? I mean, revealing these facts without the permission of the head of the project could lose a guy his job. I doubt he's telling the truth. He's bluffing to get attention.

Crazy Canadians... *dies* :tongue: j/p- lol.

eternalshiva
12-10-2003, 10:06 AM
xD I changed it for the Gender Swap Day thing xD I got to act like an over testosteron-like guy and scream LESBIANS ARE HOT all day :P now I have to wait to get my name back.

xD I gave her/him the benefit of the doubt :\ Whether it is true or not, well we'll find out evantually!

wussybehemoth is a funny name! xD

EDIT: see it just got changed! *huggles crono*