PDA

View Full Version : which computer

Russielloyd
11-06-2003, 11:52 AM
i got a PC but i know thats deffinatly no good to run ff11 but what i wanna know...does ne 1 know what make n model computer would be the best to run ff11, cos im getting a new computer but im not pro on computers n hardly know whats what.

if i could give the link to the most suitable PC, i would be very much appriciated.

laterz

Citizen Bleys
11-06-2003, 05:24 PM
If you don't know jack about computers, you're probably best off getting a package deal like a Dell.

You will never hear me reccomend a Dell again, since they are the WORST outfit to buy from if you ever want to open up the case and do anything inside the computer for yourself (This would include adding RAM, upgrading the video card, etc.)

If you want a new computer just to run FF11, wait until FF11 comes out, buy a copy of the game, and run out to the nearest computer store, give the box to a salesman, and say "Sell me a computer that will run this" and let him know what your budget's like. Even if the salesman's an idiot, the system requirements for the game are going to be printed on the box, where anybody who knows anything about computers will be easily able to find it and pick out what you need to run your machine.

Dr Unne
11-06-2003, 07:47 PM
I'll recommend Dell, since all my computers (all TWO of them *hangs himself*) have been Dells and I never had a problem with them. Any computer is probably fine though, just make sure all your parts are good brand-named parts. When it comes to computers, generic = bad, especially when it comes to gaming. Name-brand soundcards and videocards are more likely to be supported by more software, more likely to have good updated device drivers, etc. I'd never buy a computer with anything other than a Creative soundcard and NVIDIA video card. You can save loads of money if you get a GeniriCo NVORDIA soundcard or something, but when you find out that you can't play any games using it, it's not worth the money saved. That kind of stuff is more important to me than the actual brand name of the computer itself, since so far as I know the only difference between a Dell and a Gateway and [insert other company here] with similar accessories would be the shape and color of the case and the tech support you get and unimportant things like that.

Citizen Bleys
11-06-2003, 10:42 PM
Tech Support isn't unimportant when you aren't a qualified tech yourself.

You may not technically be a qualified tech right now, Unne, but I'm sure that you could pass your A+ certification tomorrow if you really wanted to.

Dr Unne
11-06-2003, 10:50 PM
I guess tech support is important, but it's not something you're going to worry about on a daily basis (hopefully), whereas what hardware you get is something that will come up again and again. I'd take a well-built computer with 0 support over a piece of garbage that was heavily supported, but I guess it could be the other way around for some people. Dell does have good tech support, from what I hear. I know people who've had parts break and Dell just mails them a new one, and they supposedly have that "we'll come to your house and fix your computer" thing but I've never tested it. On the other hand some of my family has had computers from Packard Bell and whatnot, and their tech support was vomit-worthy. If you buy a computer from a local retail store, chances are they aren't going to support you worth crap once they have your money. My parents went through a months-long battle with Circuit City once.

Citizen Bleys
11-06-2003, 11:04 PM
Sometimes vendor has something do do with it.

Never, for instance, buy a computer from Future Shop.

Hewlett-Packard is a bad name, too.

Dell's good for non do-it-yourselfers--probably the best deal for the non-computer-illiterate, but I'm a literally certified IT professional, so I feel dirty reccomending a company that is so horrible for people who do like to have the case open and mess around inside.

EDIT: One of these days, you and I are going to have to agree on something in this forum. Anything. Somebody will have to post something painfully obvious, though.

Dr Unne
11-06-2003, 11:07 PM
What's wrong with the insides? In my last Dell I added RAM, another NIC, changed my video card, and added a CD burner and another HD, and it never had any problems (except that one of the HDs overheated and now makes noises like an air-raid siren all the time). My new computer has some kind of funky clam-shell case that pivots open on a hinge like a book, and it's really easy to work in there.

<i>One of these days, you and I are going to have to agree on something in this forum. Anything.</i> --Bleys

I disagree.

Red Wizard
11-06-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
You will never hear me reccomend a Dell again, since they are the WORST outfit to buy from if you ever want to open up the case and do anything inside the computer for yourself (This would include adding RAM, upgrading the video card, etc.)Gateway is worse, by the way. They have hardware configuration codes built-in so that if you change the hardware and don't update their codes, your computer stops working.

Back to the topic at hand... how much are you looking to spend? I know of a few sites for prebuilts of varying price ranges.

Originally posted by Old Man Unne
<i>One of these days, you and I are going to have to agree on something in this forum. Anything.</i> --Bleys

I disagree. Then you agree to disagree. :P

Citizen Bleys
11-07-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Old Man Unne

I disagree.

Now you're just being difficult.

Dr Unne
11-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Am not.

Leeza
11-07-2003, 07:57 AM
I like my Dell and I've had no problems with tech-support. I would buy a Dell again.

Ranti
11-07-2003, 08:39 AM
I would recommend Dell as well, since my dad and I have had the best luck with them. Although getting extra parts from them is a pain in the arse. Spent a week trying to get a lousy hard drive bracket so I could add my 100 gig HD to it for college and...well I'll end saying i had to buy a copy set from another fed up customer. In summary I guess, their computers and packages are nice, but don't expect to get too much more from them unless you want to pay them alot and spend a lot of hrs.

Russielloyd
11-07-2003, 10:44 AM
thankz all u guys ne ways.

i was looking at the dell UK site neways, there having special offers at the moment, and they looked good to me.

I wouldnt say i know nothing about computers cause i do, i just dont know the advance stuff, like changing hd, sound n graphix xard n stuff like that.

i would say im between rookie n semi-pro...im average 4 what i know, cing as ive only been using a computer 4 2 yrs.

thankz ne ways, if theres ne more info u wanna add that could help...u know what 2 do.

laterz

Citizen Bleys
11-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Swapping out parts is a *lot* easier than most people think. I just opened up my case and started, with no training, and learned by doing.

I'm not saying that an A+ course is a waste, it can save you a lot of learning time, but a computer's nothing like a car where the insides are so unbelievably complicated that only an engineer can make sense of it.

To change a video card, you simply remove the one screw holding it in place, pull up to remove it, and insert the new card in the same place and secure it with the same screw. Same deal with a hard drive, except there's usually four screws holding it in place, and you *sometimes* have to remember that the red line on the cable from the HD to the mainboard should be facing pin one--but then again, most HDs/cables these days are keyed so that they cannot be inserted backwards (A notch on the cable must match a slot on the HDD, otherwise you won't be able to insert the cable)

Nevertheless, until you get some hands-on experience working inside a computer, I'd still reccomend going with a prepackaged deal such as Dell--You can learn bit by bit, upgrading single pieces of hardware in an existing computer fairly easily--if you just buy a box of parts and try to assemble it with no previous experience, you really won't have any way of figuring out which component is causing you trouble when problems happen--and they will, even for experienced techs.