PDA

View Full Version : CD Rom drive being a pain

Zifnab
11-06-2003, 04:46 PM
My CD Rom has been giving me a lot of hassle recently.

I was installing my CD Rewriter, and when I was installing the software for it (Easy CD Creator and other stuff) my computer crashed (as it frequently does) and I was forced to push the button. Since then my CD Rom doesn't seem to be functioning properly. It's not there under My Computer, and the device manager throws the following attachment at me instead. Is there a solution to this? Uninstalling/Reinstalling the CD Rom drive just returns it to the state it's at now.

Endless
11-06-2003, 07:09 PM
(Is that the drive you installed? Because it's not a cd/dvd writer. Also, Easy CD creator = the devil)

Anyway, for the drives, check that the cables are properly inserted. Then check if you can upgrade/rollback the drivers if it still doesn't work. If you have the general rollback option, you can try it.

Zifnab
11-06-2003, 07:45 PM
It is actually the CD Rom that's failing - although if I plug in the CD Re-writer it actually has the same error. Unfortunatly I hadn't enabled rollback and upgrade doesn't do anything. Also the CD Rom is internal and plugged in right.

crono_logical
11-06-2003, 08:19 PM
The bad ECDC installation is likely causing the problem - you need to do a bit of registry editing to fix it.

More specific instructions here for Win2K (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270008) and here fo WinXP. (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060)

Zifnab
11-06-2003, 09:24 PM
Arg, that looks quite complicated, especially as I don't have my CD Rom drive to re-install Windows if need be. xD
Would re-installing Easy CD possibly resolve this problem?

crono_logical
11-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Didn't work when I got that problem on my laptop, I had to go through the registry and delete those two entries - you might be luckier but I don't really know :p The CD drive works outside Windows though, doesn't it, eg you can stick in a bootable CD such as the Windows CD and boot from it? Windows is also finding the drive too according to your screenshot - just the list of helper drivers linked to it is screwed up so Windows can't use it, hence why you need to follow those steps to delete those two keys in the registry.

Ranti
11-07-2003, 08:46 AM
you didn't really say or not if you did but, did you try just removing any entries of it from the device manager and restart your computer and try starting from scratch that way? Or see if you can get a copy of Norton Windoctor or System Doctor, that usually helps me alot

edit: now that I look at the picture, was that a burner when you started this whole thing? From the screen shot, its only a DVD drive not a DVD-R drive. Are you using a Roxio Easy CD Creator program? I usually don't have a problem with those, so it may not be that.

Zifnab
11-07-2003, 10:28 AM
c_l - That's a point, and it actually tries to read CDs I put in there. If reinstalling Easy CD doesn't work (downloading off kazaa now) I'll give the registry editing a go.

Ranti84 - That drive is actually just a plain DVD Rom, my CD Rewriter is a seperate external driver. I tried removing the drivers and rebooting, which reinstalled the drivers but made no change.