PDA

View Full Version : Age group question!/The parent factor.... oy..

Kalinda
11-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Hey all,
I just got KH last month and I love it :D But I'm 19 years old and still living at home (off to university next year). My parents cant stand my gaming love.... espeically my mom, who isn't as understanding as dad... at least dad gave anime a chance. Mom just thinks its for children because it's animated....
And of course, she thinks KH is a childs game cause of its Disney characters.... man, it bothers me. She argued with me about it a little bit ago....
And lastly, she thinks FF 1-6 are all kids games because they have bad graphics.... oy... I'm not gonna even TRY to explain THAT one.... *sigh*
Anyone else ever have this problem? Or are you all over 20 (despite mom refusing to believe that adults would also play KH)?

Jalbrean
11-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Eh well i'm 23, and my parents wouldn't care even if I did live with them. Bad graphics or being Disney doesn't make it childish. I still play FF 1 - 6, and I own quite a few Disney dvds.

Sounds like it's about time I grew up eh? ;p

Leeza
11-09-2003, 09:56 PM
I'm an adult and a mother and I don't think that these games are just for kids. Especially FF I-VI. I'm sorry that your parents don't appreciate them.

Kalinda
11-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Yeah... thanks :) I figured there were lots of adults here ^_^

Advent Child
11-10-2003, 02:09 AM
I'm only 16, but I love KH. It's my favourite game.

Mr. Graves
11-10-2003, 02:20 AM
I'm 21, and I hated the game.

Garland
11-10-2003, 04:25 AM
Little kids and RPG's were never meant to mix. Little kids wouldn't have the patience. Little kids would take ages to figure out the system, if in fact they figure it out at all. Kingdom Hearts fools parents into thinking it's a kid's game by putting Micky Mouse and co into it. If the exact same game (gameplay and challengewise) were offered with a more mature cast of characters, noone would think for a moment that the game was suitable for kids. They'd realize it too complicated.

Outsider
11-10-2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Garland
Little kids and RPG's were never meant to mix. Little kids wouldn't have the patience. Little kids would take ages to figure out the system, if in fact they figure it out at all.

That's sso true... I remember when I was 8 trying to play Phantasy Star... It was really something...

eternalshiva
11-10-2003, 09:09 AM
I'm 23 and a mom and I play video games. My step dad plays as much as I do so yeah >.< It's not a huge deal... maybe your parents think you spend too much time playing and that makes them worry? I don't know

Kalinda
11-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Yup, eternalshiva, I think it's something like that... not sure why it bugs me so much, probably because my parents really want to know what I'm interested in but then they turn around and say it's all childish... oddly enough...

Breine
11-10-2003, 06:38 PM
I'm 15 and my parents don't care about my love for gaming... Still there are some small exceptions... :D

Cloud_AA
11-11-2003, 01:57 AM
KH was awesome gone through it twice now as for my parents they get on my case every once in a while cause they think i play to much........ now im away at school so i dont have that prob

ZeZipster
11-11-2003, 07:30 PM
KH is blah to me. I beat it what, 1 year ago? I still don't know whether I liked it or not...

On one side, it is meant to be pro-kids, hence the disney character and more active battle system.
On the other side, no kid is going to train to 80-some thing just to be Sephy at the coliseum.

eternalshiva
11-12-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Kalinda
Yup, eternalshiva, I think it's something like that... not sure why it bugs me so much, probably because my parents really want to know what I'm interested in but then they turn around and say it's all childish... oddly enough...

My husband says the same thing when I watch anime. He's thinking *shudder* pokemon *shudder* and I watch stuff like X/1999, Angel Sanctuary, Ah My Goddess, which is far from Kids stuff... unless Angel Sanctuary's goth-like images and the incest story line is part of some twisted kid thing... ;p It's a good story! the war between Angels and Demons but the Angels are the evil people! I recommend it >.<

*back on topic*

Just ignore them. Tell them that they can continue to hassle you and you'll just keep on playing or they can accept your hobby and you'll keep on playing a bit happier and make an effort to *ponders* PICK UP ANIME ! wOOt! You win either way. ;p

Kalinda
11-12-2003, 02:27 PM
LOL
Yeah, thanx :) I love anime, it's great. I've seen a lot of the stuff that you've mentioned, too.

m4tt
11-12-2003, 02:54 PM
I'm 22, I love Kingdom Hearts. Hell, I play pokemon games too. :p

eternalshiva
11-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Playing the game is different from the show ;p I liked the first one that came out on N64. I worked in a daycare and played it with the kids way back then ;p heh I know its not THAT old but it feels like it

Vermachtnis
11-16-2003, 05:14 AM
My parents thought the same exact thing. Then she watched me play it a week after I got it and I was at the end (my clock was 47:30 something). She said "How did Disney come up with something as dark as this? How is this rated for little kids," It was great.
I don't get the FF1-6 thing though. FF4 and FF6 are really complex games. There is no way a kid is going to understand what is going on in the storyline or let alone know what a Demi-God is.

Jalbrean
11-16-2003, 05:46 AM
Old school Disney had some very dark themes throughout it's animated features. It's the new overly cute Disney that wouldn't be able to come up with anything like Kingdom Hearts. ;>

eternalshiva
11-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Yeah, The Black Cauldron is dark and so is Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. But the Black Cauldron takes the cake in dark and scary and lots of kids have watched them back in the 60s when it first came out (or 70s... it's old and I don't know the date) Yeah, cutie-modern-daisney could of NEVER have been able to come up with KH by themselves, they needed a good smack from Square to do that ;p

The earlier FF are more of a basic RPG... especially the first one, I was bored to tears with it. The second is a bit better and tad bit harder... four and five also but six was the best one out of the bunch... maybe five also now that I think about it.

Azure
11-27-2003, 02:26 PM
I'm only sixteen, but my parents did go on about KH being a kiddy game when I got it. I thnk my dad actually said something like "Isn't that for six year olds?" Yeah right
I'm gonna still be playing FF into my 20's, or even 30's ^_^

As for anime, I don't get to see much of it over here, but I guess I do tend to watch the more kiddy ones, which are the only ones we get (Pokemon, Card Captors, Yu-Gi-Oh, Monster Rancher) and even some of these have darker themes underneath. But I own GW, Akira and X/1999 on DVD which most definatly *not* kiddy anime :D

Heartless Guardian
11-27-2003, 08:12 PM
I'm 15, and KH was a great game to me. Definantly not for kids though, I mean, some of the later battles and the extra ones, one really has to train up for. And you Can brat Sephiroth before lv. 80. I did it al 79 (lol).
As for parent problems... They play more games than I do, and that's seriously saying something. They show me alot of the new games that come out.

Gene Ohm
12-04-2003, 12:25 PM
my dad thinks all anime is p0rn x)
as for games, hes against them but dosent try to stop me playing most of the time, now im at uni i rarely get to play anyway - the only tv is in the living room and the girls in my flat are scary soap addicts, nuff said?

fire_of_avalon
12-05-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Garland
Little kids and RPG's were never meant to mix. Little kids wouldn't have the patience. Little kids would take ages to figure out the system, if in fact they figure it out at all. Kingdom Hearts fools parents into thinking it's a kid's game by putting Micky Mouse and co into it. If the exact same game (gameplay and challengewise) were offered with a more mature cast of characters, noone would think for a moment that the game was suitable for kids. They'd realize it too complicated.

I disagree, I've been playing FFII,err IV (sorry, still not used to calling it IV) since I was six. True I didn't finish the game until years later, but I still loved it and played it whenever I got the chance. So :p

Shayo
12-22-2003, 10:04 PM
ya i agree with fire of avalon, I played final fantasy seven when i was like 5 or six and i beat it before the age of seven, of course i had to share the game with my older brother, and when i wasnt playing it, i watched what he did and i learned the battle system quite easily

oh and i'm 13 today

Mo-Nercy
12-24-2003, 05:34 AM
My parents don't like me playing any sort of games. Except for Dynasty Warriors, cause they like the idea of me learning about ancient chinese history. But anything else, games are for kids. I get pretty cheesed, it hasn't stopped me though

Aerio
12-25-2003, 10:06 AM
I think RPGs help kids expand their vocab personally :P lol its a weird way of looking at it but its true...im 13 and i read in the 98% on the DRP test out of the nation and i know a ton of words i learned from context in RPGs...they're more fun than books :p and I rented KH once and got pretty far and it was pretty fun game :| the most disney like part i remember is the begining when they're in the disney kingdom...then it becomes more...serious?

Rye
12-26-2003, 02:36 PM
My parents though that too. It's much than a kiddy game... I love KH. It's not dark, but not overly cute. I think it was beautiful.

Ashi
12-28-2003, 07:54 PM
Actually, my mother approved of KH more than all the other games I play because it looked less violent and had all sorts of familiar characters.

Believe it or not though, my parents played video games with us all through my childhood up till now. And they do agree on some of the anime I watch isn't for kids.

Rostum
01-02-2004, 06:51 AM
My sister of 18-years-old loved the game, I loved the game, and quite frankly my parents don't care what games I play.

DJZen
01-03-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by eternalshiva
Yeah, The Black Cauldron is dark and so is Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. But the Black Cauldron takes the cake in dark and scary and lots of kids have watched them back in the 60s when it first came out (or 70s... it's old and I don't know the date) Yeah, cutie-modern-daisney could of NEVER have been able to come up with KH by themselves, they needed a good smack from Square to do that ;p

Uhhhhh.... Cutie modern disney showed some chick falling to her death, as well as a lion getting torn the f*** up by hyenas, right? Although I think the ultimate "not for t3h kids" moment in Disney has to be watching Bambi's mother get SHOT TO DEATH IN A BURNING FOREST. Wow. And Black Cauldron was 1985, btw.

StarlightAngel
07-20-2004, 11:34 PM
I agree that it isn't all cutsie. Princess Mononoke involved giant boars desolving into blood and bones, peoples' heads and arms being shot or bitten off, as well as monsters gushing out blood and gore. Castle in the Sky includes LOTS of guns. Spirited Away includes a Dragon/Spirit bleeding to death because of a curse. all three of these were made by Hayou Mayazaki but he works with Disney so it counts in my book.

Trumpet Thief
07-20-2004, 11:41 PM
I'm 14, and I hardly find the older FF's, or even KH that kiddy. I think the newer Final Fantasies are the ones that little kids are starting to play. And I agree with the statement that some young kids don't have the pateince to play an RPG. Most of them hate storylines, and just want to keep fighting and fighting.

m4tt
07-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Please do not revive topics that have been dead for half a year.