PDA

View Full Version : best game ever

tmnt
11-13-2003, 12:45 PM
some people say that ff6 is still the best rpg (minus the graphics of course) and you wont get a better rpg for a long time. your thoughts?

Flying Mullet
11-13-2003, 02:39 PM
:thumb:

Sasquatch
11-13-2003, 04:25 PM
I'm one of the people that say that.

Strider
11-13-2003, 08:57 PM
In the words of the immortal Shaft, "Ya damn right." :D

i90east
11-14-2003, 12:25 AM
:thumb:

As far as graphics are concerned, I have yet to see a game with better special effects. The spell "Goner" tops the charts in my book. :)

SomethingBig
11-14-2003, 02:37 AM
I don't know anyone could disagree.

Edgar
11-14-2003, 04:16 AM
I disagree
I disagree
I disagree
I disagree
I disagree
I disagree
I disagree

Darn, can't bring myself to say "I disagree".

doh, I guess I agree :p

Sefie1999AD
11-14-2003, 06:56 AM
I disagree. The storyline stops half-way through, which can be either a good thing or a bad thing. Bad because there isn't story anymore. Good because you don't have to see the stupid story continuing anymore. There are 14 characters and only a few (Tina, Locke, Edgar, Sabin, Celes) get some development. The rest are filler characters who get about as much development as NPCs, and the only reason why you'd use them is training them for Kefka's Tower. And Kefka, now that's IMHO the lousiest character of them all, a crazy retarded clown. Not to mention the easiest final boss ever. Oh please, give me a break.

The battle system is boring and whatever it tries to make special, it ends up being annoying. Excluding equipping, Espers are completely useless, which is a shame as FF6 would be a good game for casting them since summoning sequences aren't long at all. Random battles are also get extremely annoying at times, and at many places I get so fed up with them that I just hold L and R buttons whenever a battle occurs even though I probably could beat the enemies in the same time all 4 get to run away. And no, I'm not saying the game is too hard for me. No, it's way too easy. There are so many things that make you invincible, even without Offering, Genji Glove, Gem Box and Economizer. Even physical attacks, normal spells (Fire/Ice/Bolt 1-2-3), skills (Tools and Blitz) and recovery spells (Cure 1-2-3, Osmose) are enough to breeze you through the game.

I don't know anyone could disagree.

Opinions aren't the same as facts, so there are many who can disagree. IMHO, claiming FF6 as the best game ever and saying that nobody would disagree is utterly ignorant. Thank you, and good night, folks.

Flying Mullet
11-14-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Sephiroth1999AD
I disagree. The storyline stops half-way through, which can be either a good thing or a bad thing. Bad because there isn't story anymore. Good because you don't have to see the stupid story continuing anymore. There are 14 characters and only a few (Tina, Locke, Edgar, Sabin, Celes) get some development. The rest are filler characters who get about as much development as NPCs, and the only reason why you'd use them is training them for Kefka's Tower. And Kefka, now that's IMHO the lousiest character of them all, a crazy retarded clown. Not to mention the easiest final boss ever. Oh please, give me a break.

The battle system is boring and whatever it tries to make special, it ends up being annoying. Excluding equipping, Espers are completely useless, which is a shame as FF6 would be a good game for casting them since summoning sequences aren't long at all. Random battles are also get extremely annoying at times, and at many places I get so fed up with them that I just hold L and R buttons whenever a battle occurs even though I probably could beat the enemies in the same time all 4 get to run away. And no, I'm not saying the game is too hard for me. No, it's way too easy. There are so many things that make you invincible, even without Offering, Genji Glove, Gem Box and Economizer. Even physical attacks, normal spells (Fire/Ice/Bolt 1-2-3), skills (Tools and Blitz) and recovery spells (Cure 1-2-3, Osmose) are enough to breeze you through the game.

Opinions aren't the same as facts, so there are many who can disagree. IMHO, claiming FF6 as the best game ever and saying that nobody would disagree is utterly ignorant. Thank you, and good night, folks.

:( :mad2: :cry: :grr: :mad: :rolleyes: :sad: :skull: :crying: :crying2: :frust: :grumble: :aimmad: :aimcry:

i90east
11-14-2003, 05:10 PM
^^^^ :laugh:

Haha, that's great.

Advent Child
11-15-2003, 01:00 AM
It's a good-to-great game, but kingdom hearts is the best game ever. To be honest, I find it absurd that an RPG could be ANYONE'S favourite game, but it's just my opinion.

Big D
11-15-2003, 03:53 AM
It's not my favourite, for watered-down versions of many of the reasons Sephiroth1999AD gave. I just couldn't "connect" with the game in the way I did with others. A nicely developed world, some memorable characters and scenes... but lacking in a few ways, for me.

Not to mention the terrible rate of random encounters. It'd be so nice to walk five paces without getting accosted by a swarm of flying turtles and undead snails.

But, if you're looking for an old-style PRG with a superb plot, plenty of exploration, lots of interaction, and many side-quests and special events to uncover, then FFVI would be very hard to beat.:)To be honest, I find it absurd that an RPG could be ANYONE'S favourite game, but it's just my opinion.FFVII happens to be my favourite game, but then that's just my opinion too.

Sefie1999AD
11-15-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Big D
To be honest, I find it absurd that an RPG could be ANYONE'S favourite game, but it's just my opinion.

FFVII happens to be my favourite game, but then that's just my opinion too.

I think Advent Child's point is that it's absurd how some RPG is claimed to be everyone's favorite game, but I'm not sure.

Ok, maybe I was exaggerating a bit with my comments about FF6 since I was having a bad day. I still think the game is pretty good. There's still a lot of emotional parts in the game, such as the opera scene, Tina finding out what love is, the death of Cayenne's family and how he can't get past that loss, Gau visiting his father who's a crazy old idiot, the ending etc. The musical score is also one of the best RPG scores, IMHO. However, the battle system still just isn't to my liking, there's too many useless characters and I don't like all of the story.

Overall, although FF6's a good game, IMHO, it's overrated, and I myself prefer FF7, a game which you probably find overrated.

EDIT: Whoops, I messed the spoiler tags.

Sasquatch
11-16-2003, 01:53 AM
I've found that most Final Fantasy players whose favorite isn't 4 or 6, their favorite is 7 because that's what most started playing FF on. Whereas people that have played Final Fantasy before the Playstation came out have a better idea of how it has developed.

i90east
11-16-2003, 03:46 AM
FFVII-FFX fanboys and fangirls need to realize that FFVI is just as good, if not better than those games. Some people seem biased towards 3D graphics, and think that anything 2D is not worth playing. Those are the ones who need educating.

There seems to be a lot of people who think this way. Therefore I believe that FFVI is under-rated.

Big D
11-16-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by i90east
FFVII-FFX fanboys and fangirls need to realize that FFVI is just as good, if not better than those games. Some people seem biased towards 3D graphics, and think that anything 2D is not worth playing. Those are the ones who need educating.
Either that, or they just have a different opinion:p

Some people detest FFVI; I don't agree with them, but that doesn't make them wrong.

Many, but not all, people consider their first FF to be their favourite. Fortunately, the re-release of the earlier games is giving contemporary gamers a chance to sample what came before.

Advent Child
11-16-2003, 06:33 AM
there are people like that, but I think there are MORE people who are classic gaming nazis now.

Sefie1999AD
11-16-2003, 10:46 AM

There seems to be a lot of people who think this way. Therefore I believe that FFVI is under-rated.

FFVI fanboys and fangirls need to realize that different people have different opinions, and that FFVII-FFX can be just as good, if not better than FFVI. Some people like FF7-10 for other reasons than pretty graphics. Oh well, I detest FFX and it has the best FF graphics so far (FFX-2 and FFXI haven't come here yet). So it's not the graphics that are getting me to like them. How about liking the newer FFs for the storyline and gameplay? Unlike FF6, their stories don't stop half-way through (unless you count the final disc, but that's only about 5-10% of the game, not half of it), and their battle systems don't annoy the [censored] out of you.

If you think the newer FF games have nothing good but graphics, then I think you're the one who needs educating. Especially when you're hinting that everyone who

1) disagrees with you about FF6 being the best game ever, or
2) prefers FF7-10 to FF6,

is an eye candy freak.

I've got nothing else to add, so I'll just say I agree with Big D and Advent Child.

Daryl
11-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Flying Mullet
:( :mad2: :cry: :grr: :mad: :rolleyes: :sad: :skull: :crying: :crying2: :frust: :grumble: :aimmad: :aimcry:

Posts consisting of emoticons are, you guessed it, spam. And you did that twice in this thread. Please don't do it again. Thanks.

DocFrance
11-16-2003, 09:46 PM
My first FF was FF6, and it was my favorite for some time. But then I played FF9, and I was blown away. I thought it was incredible in every way - the battle system, the plot, the graphics, the character development, the humor, the music, the references to previous FF's... just incredible. If you ask me, FF9 was everything that FF6 tried to do but couldn't.

My $0.02.

i90east
11-16-2003, 11:06 PM
It's not all about graphics, but for some it is their basis for not trying 2D FFs. Those are the ones who need educating. Now, players who don't have a bias towards 3D games who have given older FFs a chance don't need educating. They're open minded enough to make decisions that are most beneficial to them. However, I have noticed a lot of bias against games like FFVI. That's not fair, which is why I believe FFVI is under-rated.

When I said "FFVII-FFX fanboys and fangirls", I meant those who haven't tried older FFs. I apologize for the confusion.

Mr. Graves
11-17-2003, 04:49 AM
No, I don't this is the best game ever. It's a very good RPG, but I can think of RPG that are better. I've enjoyed FF5 more than this game, for instance. Also, I found this game to very dark, graphics-wize. That was a turn off for me, too.

Those are my only complaints with FF6. Other than that, it's awesome.

Lord Chainsaw
11-18-2003, 01:50 AM
I disagree. While I think FF6 is a very good game, I can name a few I like more off the top of my head such as Star Ocean, Final Fantasy 7 and Dragon Warrior 3.

While I do consider it a great game, I do think there are games that are better than it.

Silent Warrior
11-18-2003, 07:25 AM
I'd never say FF6 is the best game ever, and I'll never say FF6 is the best RPG ever, but it's easily one of the best console-RPGs ever. The difference? Infinity-engine and its offspring. Console-RPGs tend not to be 'pure' RPGs - you don't get pick dialogue-options which actually have an effect on the conversation, subquest, possibly/unlikely the outcome of the game.

Lord Chainsaw
11-19-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Silent Warrior
Console-RPGs tend not to be 'pure' RPGs - you don't get pick dialogue-options which actually have an effect on the conversation, subquest, possibly/unlikely the outcome of the game.

That's why I absolutely love console RPGs and hate PC RPGs.

I'll admit I tried Knights of the Old Republic and I just didn't like it.

Outsider
11-19-2003, 02:23 AM
FF6... It's the best think I've ever played...

I gave up discussing this kind of stuff, maybe you had to play it back then, or maybe not, who cares...? I still think it's great, and I doubt I'll ever play a game that will make me think it's better than FF6.

But, when I played FF4 I couldn't believe that I could play a game that would make me think it was better than FF4. I was wrong.

It was the characters, the stroyline, the plot, the songs, the graphics... The way I felt when I played it for the first time... Everything.

Edgar
11-19-2003, 03:46 PM
I gave up discussing this kind of stuff, maybe you had to play it back then, or maybe not, who cares...? I still think it's great, and I doubt I'll ever play a game that will make me think it's better than FF6.
^^^^^^
What he said.

What I say.
V V V V V V

I've found that most Final Fantasy players whose favorite isn't 4 or 6, their favorite is 7 because that's what most started playing FF on. Whereas people that have played Final Fantasy before the Playstation came out have a better idea of how it has developed.
You may be right, you may be wrong. After all, this is not proven. If you consider me, my first RPG is FFVI and I love it so much I love it like hell! I think no other FFs could beat FFVI. I know FFVI's weaknesses, hell there are lots of them, but I still love FFVI!

Of course, Xenogears is better eventually =\

Characters: Of all the characters, the only ones that went through my standard of developed storyline goes as follows: Terra, Locke, Edgar, Sabin, Shadow, Setzer, prolly Relm. There is something about Strago too about him not being Relm's real granddaddy but not enough tho.

Storyline: Sometimes I think WOR makes FFVI stupid, sometimes I think it does not and it is a great addition to FFVI.

The songs: One word: "Nobuo"

The graphics: If FFVI is really made in 1992 (I think it is), then its graphics are not THAT good. It's...so-so.

Villian: I don't think I wanna rant about this one :P

It's not all about graphics, but for some it is their basis for not trying 2D FFs. Those are the ones who need educating. Now, players who don't have a bias towards 3D games who have given older FFs a chance don't need educating. They're open minded enough to make decisions that are most beneficial to them. However, I have noticed a lot of bias against games like FFVI. That's not fair, which is why I believe FFVI is under-rated.

FFVII have terrible polygons for 3D graphics. It's a good thing they have arrows =\. So you see, when you compare FFVI graphics and FFVII graphics, It's pretty stupid. GRAPHICS ISN'T EVERYTHING, THERE IS STILL FLAWS!!!

FFVI Fan: "Omg! FFVI sprites have bright colours! It has glowing lights and smoke rising out of chiminies! FFVII's have terrible polygons! Eww, squarish bodies!!!"
FFVII Fan :" Omg! 3D beauty! Everything looks so...so...3D! Just like the real world! FFVI is flat, ewwwww, not like the far superior FFVII!!!"
Of course, I know people like Sephiroth1999AD wouldn't say that. I'm just stating from my point of view on graphics if Iwere an anti-VI or anti-FFVII person.

If you wanna speak graphic, then it is better not to talk with FFVII fans about it. Talk to the FFVIII ones.

Sasquatch
11-19-2003, 04:00 PM
I didn't like VII, and the graphics had nothing to do with it.

Edgar
11-19-2003, 05:56 PM

Actually, I agree to what you said to an extent. Here, I see boxes of FFVII and FFVIII overflowing the Popular bookstores and game stores today. It's been 2 years and it's still overflowing :\

Lamia
11-21-2003, 09:54 AM
I hate neo FF fans. Including my significant other.
LOL.
"Final Fantasy 7 was my favorite, now it's Final Fantasy X"
BLASPHEMY.

As someone whose played since FF1.
I hate it. And I am biased. And I think it's blasphemy.
I love the series as a whole.
But liking FFX the most --- the game that has strayed away from the tradition of the series so much.
I just can't see them as a fan of the series - but a fan of just the game.

So what... I am a little bit of a jerk about this. But screw being open minded. Final Fantasy is what it was, and it is now what it has become. But it was what it was first, remember that!

GenjiLeisureSuit
11-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Lamia
I hate neo FF fans. Including my significant other.
LOL.
"Final Fantasy 7 was my favorite, now it's Final Fantasy X"
BLASPHEMY.

As someone whose played since FF1.
I hate it. And I am biased. And I think it's blasphemy.
I love the series as a whole.
But liking FFX the most --- the game that has strayed away from the tradition of the series so much.
I just can't see them as a fan of the series - but a fan of just the game.

So what... I am a little bit of a jerk about this. But screw being open minded. Final Fantasy is what it was, and it is now what it has become. But it was what it was first, remember that!

100% Agreed.

The majority of FF gamers falls into two camps: Those who have been playing since the early days and retain loyalty with the Nintendo FF's, and those who joined when FFVI came out and pledge allegience to the Sony FF camp.

It's always been this way, it will always be this way, no sense in trying to halt it.

Eh, I could write a full dissertation on the topic, but I'm too dumb right now.

For some reason, collections like "Origins" and "Anthologies" piss the hell out of me.

Sasquatch
11-25-2003, 03:45 AM
Why?

My first FF was 4 (2 on SNES), and my second was 6 (3 on SNES). Then, like a year ago, I bought a PSX so that I could play the rest of them. And 6 is still my favorite, even though I've played/beaten all of the other ones I own (1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Tactics) at least once through.

Silent Warrior
11-29-2003, 04:31 PM
I second that.

I started FF-ing with FF8 PC, and, well, the PSX-FFs never got enough of my allegiance to mention as opposed to FF6 (which I first tried through emulation, and now I have FF6 PSX :D). I mean, I didn't completely hate any of them - with a possible exception for FF8 - but I never, you know, worshipped them.