PDA

View Full Version : Question before I go out and buy FFXI...

Kaji
11-13-2003, 11:04 PM
Alright, assuming my comp has good enough specs to run FFXI, will I be alright using a 28.8 connection? Would I just be wasting my money if I bought it now? Should I wait and see if my dad EVER gets my family a broadband connection of some sort? Someone please tell me I'll be okay with my connection that was considered blazingly fast in the mid 90's....

Super Christ
11-13-2003, 11:41 PM
I do believe the minimum requirements state a 56k connection to the internet. Besides, even with broadband, it took me nearly an hour to download all the patches for the game.

56k modems aren't that expensive nowadays, though, so if you were to save just a little money in addition to the game, you could upgrade that modem in your computer. Unless it's a phone line problem that keeps you from going above 28.8.

Kaji
11-14-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Super Christ
I do believe the minimum requirements state a 56k connection to the internet. Besides, even with broadband, it took me nearly an hour to download all the patches for the game.

56k modems aren't that expensive nowadays, though, so if you were to save just a little money in addition to the game, you could upgrade that modem in your computer. Unless it's a phone line problem that keeps you from going above 28.8.

Sonuva.... oh well, maybe I'll just ask for it for Christmas and see what happens from there.

I can't connect above 28.8 because of the crappy wiring in my area. I guess BellSouth or whoever gives us tele service is too stingy to come out and update them...

Lionx
11-14-2003, 02:13 AM
So you have a 56K but you cannot connect any higher when u go on the ISP? Should work...i mean i have 56K and i conncected on 28.7 kps once and it works, so long as the modem itself is 56K there shouldnt be probs....i think.

Moshenokoji
11-24-2003, 07:34 AM
It'll work. Patching will suck major ass though. I had to leave my PC on 2 nights in a row to get it all done. Thats the good thing about MMORPGs when it patches it downloads each file individually so you can resume and stuff. I get about a 33.3 to a 36.0 connection and i've had no lag when i play online so yeah you'll be ok.