PDA

View Full Version : WHY IS FFII SO HARD AT BEGINNING?

Vaprice
11-15-2003, 01:21 AM
Just started playing the game, um. Why is it so hard to beat enemies? I faced this one monster dude, he had like 300 HP and all I had was a meedly like 65 or 100

Dark S0ul
11-15-2003, 03:10 AM
stay right around the the town, the game is set up so you go certain places in order, the level of monsters and transportation availible decides where you go, if monters are hard, then go in oppposite direction, that kinda thing

Garland
11-15-2003, 09:26 PM
The game is very unforgiving in terms of monster regions. Most games place monster encounter regions based on what level you should be when you're in that region. They have natural barriers such as water or mountains to prevent characters from reaching more difficult monsters before their time. In FF2, this isn't the case. For example, on the starting continent, walking within about 5-10 tiles of the town has you fighting low level enemies. Walk towards the southern edge of the continent, a very short distance from the first town, and you get attacked by mid game enemies that'll annhilate you. It's hardly fair, but then again, the looming threat of an unbeatable battle around any corner is what makes FF2 fun. There's always suspense while adventuring if the rules of safe/appropriate monster levels are thrown out the window. If you want to survive, follow the RPG player's mantra: "Save often".

Vaprice
11-15-2003, 09:48 PM
Gottcha...man this sucks, ITS SO FRUSTUATING....MOMMY!!!!!!

I just ran into this guy who just whooped my bootay.

Where do you go from where you started?

Sasquatch
11-16-2003, 01:55 AM
Fynn.

When I play FF2, sometimes I just get into a random fight, then beat every enemy but one, and start casting spells and hitting myself. So at the end of the battle, I get just enough money to go to the inn, and everybody is gaining something--HP, MP, endurance, etc.

Dark S0ul
11-17-2003, 01:21 AM
yeah thats, a big way of being cheap in ff2. just hit your own guys, and cast all the spells, liek 5 time each battle, just ot lvl everything up

Sasquatch
11-17-2003, 05:26 AM
When I finished the game, I believe the only spells I had above level 2 were Cure, Ultima, and Flare. I had one character with lv. 17 or so Cure, and lv. 5 or 6 Ultima, and then I think I had another with lv. 4 Flare. Other than that, I had Fire/Ice/Bolt up to level 2, if that, and everything else at lv. 1.

Dark S0ul
11-17-2003, 05:34 AM
yeah,to get high level spells in that game you either gotta creep alot. or do the trick, where you preform spells on self

DocFrance
11-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Or you could try the select/cancel trick...

Sasquatch
11-17-2003, 04:04 PM
what select/cancel trick?

I know that if you select to cast a spell, and the battle ends before you cast it, you still get credit for casting that spell and your level rises.

DocFrance
11-17-2003, 07:47 PM
It's pretty much the same thing - if you tell one character to do something (say, casting Cure), and then immediately switch back to that person and cancel the action, it will still count as a cast. So you can keep selecting and canceling until you level up. Note that you can't do this for the last person in your party, and that this is considering cheating by many people.

Dark S0ul
11-18-2003, 01:37 AM
yeah, most ppl do it alittle at the beginging of the game, since the monsters are on fair. but later on, or too much, just not worth it

DJZen
12-08-2003, 04:01 AM
FF2 is just hard. Even if you do things "right" it's hard. I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I must be because the jade passage is being impossible.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-08-2003, 04:13 AM
I spent a lot of time towards the beginning getting everything built up until I just got sick of the process. From then on, however, I never needed to level up again.

Garland
12-08-2003, 04:19 AM
Same here - I used the almost cheating stat-raising glitch upon getting my first fourth party member, and raised my team pretty much to end game strength.

Yuffie is a B****
12-10-2003, 11:37 AM
Because the game was designed by morons.
To counter this, you can just rape the system by hitting a command then cancelling it over and over agian. FInishing a battle with critical hp is also good (yes you can enter with low hp)

DJZen
12-13-2003, 05:06 AM
It's not that the designers were morons, it's that they're sadistic bastards who draw joy only from hearing kittens get run over by tractors. In slow motion. However, I noticed something in my experiences with trying in vein (vain? vane?) to beat it. The more things you try to make a character do, the weaker that character will be. You CAN have a character be a sword fighter who uses black and white magic. However, they will wind up being terrible in all of those departments. Even when I go to make someone a mage, if I try to make them good at more than 3 spells, they fall WAY behind. If anyone mentions "holy" to me, I'm going to pull all my hair out and burn my house down. Then again, FF2 just seriously hates me.