PDA

View Full Version : More FFXII bits of info

edczxcvbnm
11-17-2003, 03:45 PM
- In an interview with the Final Fantasy XII developer Yasumi Matsuno, a few new tidbits are revealed about the game:

The game will be in 2 DVDs
Very little love elements in the game
The game style resembles Vagrant Story
Huge world map
Many people will be surprised: "Is this Final Fantasy?"
Tight controls

I am a big supporter of #2. Love is okay but don't make it the basis for the story like FFVIII and FFX damn it.

I think #5 is just something he is saying and I don't understand tight controls. When you hit up you move up instantly? Its an RPG. How much tighter could they really get?

Flying Mullet
11-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by edczxcvbnm
Huge world map

Very awesome! The less sappy the better, and a big world to roam around in is always a plus for me. :)

eternalshiva
11-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Wee! more action! More like Vagrant Story? *sigh* I wasn't very fond of that game but meh, always keep an open mind I guess ;p

edczxcvbnm
11-17-2003, 04:21 PM
I hope that when he says more like vagrant story, he means the way the game is presented in the art style and the way the camera moves. Maybe some actual dungon puzzles this time(thats not FF like at all).

I really hope that they don't have anything like the crappy weapon system from Vagrant Story. That game would have been alright if that was decent.

eternalshiva
11-17-2003, 04:30 PM
That game was a huge headache >.< I hope it isn't too similar!

Kalinda
11-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Awww... lol
I guess I'm the only one who will miss the romance stuff :) I liked how Square included all that in their stories... but that aside, it still looks good ^_^

2 DVDS?! O__o Wow... that's going to be a looooong game.... and FFX was pretty long... or maybe they're adding lots more FMVs... doubt it, though.
I can't wait to see some actual gameplay screenshots.

edczxcvbnm
11-17-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by eternalshiva
That game was a huge headache >.< I hope it isn't too similar!

Same here. I am glad I only rented it. I made it past 2 bosses and the game said 25% complete...I was like 'SCREW THIS! THE GAME SUCKS! MY WEAPON DEALS NEXT TO NO DAMAGE TO ENEMIES AND I AM STILL HAVING AN EASY TIME WITH THE GAME...UNLESS IT DOES DEAL NO DAMAGE. In which case I run away screaming like a little girl :eek: "

DEATH TO VAGRANT STORY!

Loony BoB
11-17-2003, 07:10 PM
Good. And they better fill up that second DVD. >=]

Ah, a'ight. I'm not really fussed either way... I liked the 'slight' love element that was in FFVII, but FFVIII and X were a bit much at times. But at least VIII was still rather involving. So long as there's a little love interest, and not too much (ie, plot revolves around love interest), I'll be happy.

*dunno*

Huge world map
This makes me want this game already. I love roaming around the worlds, FFVII was great for it. I just hope they don't make it a massive map and then screw it up by using FFX's style. That just... sucked. Biggest disappointment in a game that was full of disappointments for me, so yeah (not to say it was bad, I just thought it should have been much better).

We'll see. >=P

Tight controls
Does this mean it's going to be hard to move the joysticks? O_o

Germ Hamee
11-18-2003, 02:02 AM

Egh. That comment kind of annoys me. If it's not a Final Fantasy game don't slap the FF title on there with maybe a moogle and a couple of chocobos just to make it sell. But then again this is a money hungry business trying to get back on their feet I'm talking about. Oi. I guess we'll see.

I definitely approve of the 2 discs and the downplayed romance. I really enjoyed the love themes in games like CT, FFVI, heh, even CC. It just annoys me when they make it the primary focus like FFVIII and X. This will be a nice change.

Jalbrean
11-18-2003, 02:07 AM
Vagrant story's style rocked so i'm curious to see how it turns out for this game. As for tight controls...I'm wondering if that's not a mistranslation of some kind. It's pretty hard to have tight controls in an RPG.

TheAbominatrix
11-18-2003, 02:25 AM
I hated Vagrant Story. The battle and weapons systems gave me a headache.

As for the love thing... I do like the love aspect, but I like how it was in IV and VI, and maybe a bit of VII (I hate love triangle, though). So I hope they mean a discreet love aspect (as opposed to not having one at all. Love is an important human emotion, of course), and not the overt ones of VIII on.

Rostum
11-18-2003, 03:16 AM
I didn't play much of Vagrant Story when I rented it, but I didn't like the battle system that much. Let's hope it doesn't follow the battle system of Vagrant Story.

I like everything else that's been said about it though, can't wait!

Master_Dragoner
11-18-2003, 06:43 AM
I can't wait for this game. The large world map has me the most interested, as I always like a grand-scoped game.

I never got to play Vagrant Story, so I'll just have to wait and see how FFXII turns out.

Tight controls... interesting. Most probably a mistranslation, but perhaps they mean they're going to put a timing system on? Like in Super Mario RPG, if you pressed the button at the right time, you deal more damage? Just a thought. Or you'll actually be doing actions on the world map and areas, like jump, hit, etc. Just another unlikely thought.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to this game.

ZeZipster
11-18-2003, 07:58 PM
Two DVDs? That's insane. One has to be like a bonus disk maybe a video or some thing...

Jack
11-18-2003, 08:38 PM
Huge world map
Tight controls

2 DVDS
Thats gonna be a joke. That'll be f***ing huge! Sound good though

LITTLE LOVE BITS
*sigh* I like the love bits, it makes me feel cionnected with the characters. Oh well (Oh yeah, I LOVED FFVIII)

VAGRANT STORY
What looks like it? Good
Plays like it? Not sure.
I liiked it, but dammit, it has one of THE MOST BORING INTROS EVER. It takes a age to get going. Like the combat though, i thought that was clever. They should do a sequel to it i the future, but donb't change the FF style so it'll suit Vagrant Story

HUGE WORLD MAP
Yah! Sound good

IS THIS FF?
Oh no. Please don't mean it'll be stepping away lke FFX. That wasn't THAT good. Stick to the format, but make some GOOD alterations. Like FFVIII.

TIGHT CONTROLS
I think that means that the player won't move around spongerly like Tidus in FFX. it means it'll be more like Tomb Raider (1st one) where her control is very tight, very fixed. I like it spongy.

Hope it's like FFVIII
(Hears it's like FFX)
Oh NO!!!!!
*points gun at head and pulls the trigger*

Big D
11-19-2003, 01:35 AM
"The game will be in 2 DVDs "

Neat. Longer, hopefully more involving. Lots of FMVs, music, dialogue, perhaps even more 'alternative' outcomes to covnersations/events depending on the player's choices...

"Very little love elements in the game"

A bit is always nice, but when it forces most of the characters into the background (FFVIII, IX, X) it can be a nuisance. As long as the cast remember that their main goal is to save the world, not to 'score', then a romantic sub-plot would be enjoyable for me.

"The game style resembles Vagrant Story"

From the screenshots, it's obvious that the battle and field screens aren't in the same style as VS, so those who dislike that game have nothing to worry about. The character designer is the same one who did VS's characters, I see. Ah well, at least FFXII's characters don't have so many holes in their pants.Vagrant Story's weapons customisation - and the game's difficulty - go on an odd curve. After a bit of time, you become more experienced with the weapons, affinities, and so forth. Customisation gets better, but the bosses get tougher. The game's fairly challenging on the first run through. However, after the first or second completion, you'll have no difficulty making weapons that can do close to maximum damage - a full 999 points - to anything at all. But then, there're all the additional challenges that can only be unlocked when you've completed the game...

"Huge world map"

Sounds good, it'd be nice to have a world map that's on a better scale, rather than making a hundred-mile tall man jog across a continent in only a dozen paces... More detail and realism on the world map would be good.

"Many people will be surprised: 'Is this Final Fantasy?'

Generic advertising statement. The screenshots make it pretty clear that there'll be plenty of familiar stuff in this game, but at least they're promising some originality too.

"Tight controls"

Ah. So when you push a button or move the joystick, something happens. Straight away. And the character actually goes in the direction you tell them to, as well.
It'll be interesting to see if this is any different from any other game...

Chrono Chrazy
11-19-2003, 01:55 AM
- In an interview with the Final Fantasy XII developer Yasumi Matsuno, a few new tidbits are revealed about the game:

The game will be in 2 DVDs <- ..Woah, that's awosme.
Very little love elements in the game<-- WHOO!!! YEAH!! No more FFX, FFVIII evilness :D
The game style resembles Vagrant Story<-- Heh.. never played it.
Huge world map<-- I hope he means "Any overworld at all."

Many people will be surprised: "Is this Final Fantasy?"<-- For the love of God... please.. be joking.. or somehting.. or lying.. anything..
Tight controls<-- I can't think of an FF game with control issues, but alright..

I am a big supporter of #2. Love is okay but don't make it the basis for the story like FFVIII and FFX damn it.

I think #5 is just something he is saying and I don't understand tight controls. When you hit up you move up instantly? Its an RPG. How much tighter could they really get?

Well, I hope they live up to the FF standard... Can't wait for tomorrow.

If I hear "action RPG," or "Like FF8 in any way," I'm resigning myself to the fact that Namco(See: Xenosaga, Baten Kaitos, And Tales of SymphO(W)Nia, and at this rate, Nintendo(Mario & Luigi, Fire Emblem, etc.), will pass up Square-Enix in RPGs.

Oh and bring back Moogles. ;)

eternalshiva
11-19-2003, 02:13 AM
Same here. I am glad I only rented it. I made it past 2 bosses and the game said 25% complete...I was like 'SCREW THIS! THE GAME SUCKS! MY WEAPON DEALS NEXT TO NO DAMAGE TO ENEMIES AND I AM STILL HAVING AN EASY TIME WITH THE GAME...UNLESS IT DOES DEAL NO DAMAGE. In which case I run away screaming like a little girl :eek: "

DEATH TO VAGRANT STORY!

ROTFL *nods*

Love story element is ok but sheesh, not ENTIRELY, it gets annoying when all you want to do is kick arse and your characters are making out.

Jalbrean
11-19-2003, 06:00 AM
From 1up.com - The new webpage of Ziff Davis media

UPDATE 7:35 PST: The Final Fantasy XII website has updated in anticipation of the conference, and revealed some new information on the game's protagonists, plus a brief explanation of the story in the "Prologue" section.

FFXII will return to the Ivalice setting that director Matsuno has previously used in Final Fantasy Tactics and FFT Advance. The details of the world seem closer to the more recent Game Boy Advance title, since the Bangaa and Viera races introduced there return; meanwhile, the two main characters are identified as "Humes," borrowing a page from Final Fantasy XI's classification scheme.

Ivalice is split into the Arcadia Empire, which rules over Valentia, and the Rosaria Empire, which governs Ordalia. The warlike Arcadians have captured Dalmasca, a small country that's strategically located between the two larger continents, and replaced its monarchy with their own men. Ashe, the displaced princess of Dalmasca, begins a resistance group against the Arcadians, where she meets Vaan, a young boy.

The character bios describe Ashe as tough and resolute, whose exterior only begins to soften through her friendship with Vaan. Vaan, for his part, is a "bright, optimistic boy" who used to live in downtown Dalmasca, and dreams of escaping the country as an air pirate.

No details on the battle system or other gameplay have emerged just yet, so hopefully more on that will come out of the press conference later on. If you've missed anything previously revealed, the summary of everything known prior to the formal announcement today is below. Keep watching this space for the very latest!

Big D
11-19-2003, 06:07 AM
Ivalice is split into the Arcadia Empire, which rules over Valentia, and the Rosaria Empire, which governs Ordalia. The warlike Arcadians have captured Dalmasca, a small country that's strategically located between the two larger continents, and replaced its monarchy with their own men.I'm really hoping that these empires and countries consist of more than just one castle and three shacks...

Hopefully our enjoyment of the game won't be affected if we haven't played Tactics.

Any word on other characters beside Ashie and Vaan/Vann? It'd be strange to play the whole thing with a party of two. Not to mention possibly dull...

Jalbrean
11-19-2003, 06:11 AM
I guess there was nothing on the website but this was all pre-conference stuff, so when they get to reporting what was shown at the event hopefully we'll see some more characters and such.

Delice
11-19-2003, 07:14 AM
tight controls might mean, the battle actions are taken place in real time action commands and stick movements, ala like Tales of Symphonia.
You control the main chara the entire time, while PT members are semi-CPU controled.
I have Tales of Symphonia and that action system actually works for me.
the battles are more exciting.
;)
this maybe One of the Reasons why it isnt like the previous FF, and it will have tighter controls. dont need tight controls if there are no action elements.

Look up details of the Tales of Symphonia series, and it might make more sense.
I am for it if it finally add in the action system in battle.
command battles are getting a bit tad old and boring to me, to me that is.:rolleyes2

Delice
11-19-2003, 07:40 AM
some new info, pleez translate

スクウェアエニックス、2004年夏農売予定
アートディレクター 皆葉氏
キャラクターデザイン 吉田氏
・ 今作のイメージカラーは青とオレンジ
・ キャラクターの露出度が高いのはダマスカルという国が暑い気候の国という設定のため
・ 登場する飛空挺は多彩で後半には300メートル以上の空母も登場する
・ 開農度70%

Q&A
FF12のタイトルロゴ ― イヴァリースの力と契力の象徴"ジャッジ"をイメージした物
FFTAと共通する亜人 ― バンガ族、ヴィエラ族、ン・モゥ族に似た別種族など
アーシェの持っている剣 ― ヴァンでもアーシェでもない未公開の青年が剣を授かるシーンが_る(OPムービーの1シーン)
ヴァンが手にしているモノ ― スターフルーツというものらしい(名前だけで説明なし)
移動画面にステータス表示が ― 吉田氏「今回、バトルフィールドは作ったかなぁ?(苦笑)」
召喚獣、バトルシステムは? ― ノーコメント
チョコボは?移動手段? ― 吉田氏「やはり、そういう役割の存在になって_るでしょう

Delice
11-19-2003, 08:53 AM
it looks like according to the interview, the map and battle are seamless.
there is no trasition between the map and the battle field.
you fight on the map, when there is an encounter with an enemy.
notice, that is why the status is also present on the map stage screens.

Big D
11-19-2003, 10:12 AM
Hmm, so the camera just zooms in on the action... that could explain the references to FFXII's style being similar to Vagrant Story. That could mean that instead of random encounters, all enemies will be visible on the field screen. Meaning... you could actively avoid encounters! At last!

eternalshiva
11-19-2003, 11:48 AM
YAY! That would be SO NICE! I hate having to fight when all you want to do is get across the room!

Delice
11-19-2003, 01:21 PM
FF12 uses half the polygons for the characters of FF10.
Thus the skirt had to be shortened(lol)
The world takes place in the world of Ivalice(is this how to spell?) the same name found in FFT and FFTA.
FF12 and FFTA will have some common things between the two.
The children playing the game in FFTA, they were playing FF12. And that that world was where the children warped to.

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~nanko/ev/ff12.html

Square says they showed off pictures that resemble FF10, but they say that is intentional and is nothing like FF10. They are keeping it secrets for now for the battle system, but he did say that the player will be able to move the camera around like in FF11. Also the map is huge. (thus the character polygons were reduced to half of FF10s)

Jack
11-19-2003, 08:25 PM
I kinda liked Vagrant Story, leave it alone.........

I don't like how FFXII will be connected to FFT & FFTA. FFs shgould be stand alone games. (Yes i no FFX-2, but that was a sequel, is FFXII a sequel? Nope)

Like the idea of HUGE map, sounds good
donm't like the loss of polygons. Every FF has got bigger, and has looked better, so why should this be any different, but i understand the reason why.

any more info?

Ramza_Beouvle
11-22-2003, 04:08 AM
This game sounds beyond cool! I can't wait to actaully see the depths of Ivalice! I really want to see how tight the controls really are though, I mean you guys are right, RPGs already have tight controls, I really want to see what they meant by "tight contols".
And all those love elements being gone from this game is a good sign of a very good game! More action and less love, man!
I want to hear the soundtrack of it too! I bet it'll be just as good the other ones.

Bahamut2000X
11-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Actually on the inetrview they have at IGN the impression I get for the "tight controls" is they are more free style, they mentioned you can rotate the cameras FFXI style. I believe they also said that you can go into first person view. So I think they just mean the controls are different then just walking, but no actually getting to see things at every angle and have more freedom in viewing.