PDA

View Full Version : Are you better at Final Fantasy than your friends?

Breine
11-19-2003, 05:13 PM
I just got the idea for this topic, so I'm posting it :D

Well, please answer... ;)

As for my answer:

I only have two friends who owns a FF-game (or more). Overall I guess I'm better than them. One of them only owns FF8 and FF10, but she always has these Crazy and perfect files. She completely masters the games, but she cheats. At least that's what I think. She dosn't find the hidden treasures and so on by herself, she follows a walktrough...
The other friend owns FF7, FF8, FF9 and FF10, but he's not good at FF-games. I guess driving and action games are more him...

Edgar
11-19-2003, 06:03 PM
I own FFI, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, MQ and Tactics

The ones I've completed are 6,9, and Tactics with FFVIII probably near completion.

I went far with 4 but something happened, can't remember.

All perfectionists follow walkthroughs =\

Breine
11-19-2003, 07:26 PM
All perfectionists follow walkthroughs =\

Maybe, I just see it as cheating. I mean, you are not a mastering the game by yourself...

i90east
11-20-2003, 06:17 AM
Yep. The one time my cousin played through FF6, it was with the Game Genie. My brother gets stuck in FF7 and stops playing. My coworkers have never played any FFs before FF7. I'm not sure which FFs they've beat.

The only thing my cousin is good at is beating me in games I've never played. He pulls that on me everytime I see him, and he refuses to play anything more than 3 months old :rolleyes2

Vaan
11-20-2003, 08:33 AM
I own:
Final Fantasy IV (Super Famicom)
Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation)
Final Fantasy VIII (PlayStation)
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy Tactics

I beat:
Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation)
Final Fantasy IX

I did not finish FF IV because I got it only a little while ago.

I did not finish FF VIII because I got a copy from a friend with a defective/scratched disc 3; it was impossible to finish. I recently bid for another copy on eBay and it's on it's way.

I did not finish FF X because I just couldn't beat the final boss/bosses; I didn't train enough. I am replaying it right now.

I did not finish FF: T because it's just too damn hard for me!

I think that about covers it. I'm pretty good at FF despite my lame track record. I'm a victim of circumstance.

Oh, and one of my FF friends uses GameShark... lame... but the other one does it fair and square. He doesn't suck, but he hasn't beaten any of them yet for whatever reason.

sephiroth21
11-20-2003, 02:12 PM
i own
ff 7
ff 8
ff 9
ff 10
and beat all of them but i only have a perfect file on ff 10 ff 7 and im way better then all my friends

m4tt
11-20-2003, 03:00 PM
None of my friends play Final Fantasy. So that makes me better by default.

Inuyasha23
11-20-2003, 04:04 PM
I own FF1, FF2, FF5, FF7, FF8, FF9, FF10(i hate this game), i owned FF11 but never played it, i also own Mystic Quest and tactics. I've played both 4 and 6.

I think im better than all of my friends because they just get an idea in their head and wont get it out. i remember one that just wouldnt stop summoning shiva no matter what it was.:choc:

Xander
11-20-2003, 10:06 PM
I only know two people IRL who play Final Fantasy. One of them, my best friend is way better at FFVII than me, she did all the chocobo breeding, got KOTR, etc whereas I didn't.

However I had a lot more things done in FFIX than her, until she used the strategy guide to beat me :(

She finished FFX before me cos she had a PS2 when I didn't, but I did a lot in it that she didn't do.

As for the other person I know, he doesn't seem that interested in perfecting FF's just playing them normally..

So I think it's not about being "better" really, anyone can do the complex stuff in the FF games, what it requires more than skill is simply patience and a lot of time.

Originally posted by Breine
Maybe, I just see it as cheating. I mean, you are not a mastering the game by yourself...

I agree that it spoils a game to sit there with a walkthrough and complete the whole game with it by your side doing everything.

However, I don't think it's cheating using a guide to find out secrets, etc. I mean things like the celestial weapons in FFX and powering them up were surely not meant to be figured out by the player, as far as I remember not enough clues were given to know these without reading it somewhere.

Danger
12-11-2003, 05:03 AM
I own:
NES: FFI
SNES: MQ
FFIV
FFVI
PC: FFV
FFVII
FFVIII
Gameboy:FFL3
FFA

Completed them all without cheating (Game Shark or Genie). I have no patience for FFII and never got into FFIII while I had them (but I should play through them since they are available to me). Same with FFL1 and 2.

I'll complete FFT (Does Tactics ogre for SNES emulator count?), FFIX, FFX and FFXII if some kind soul would buy me a PS2 and the games.... please?

I am the master of all my friends, having completed more than all the others with most if not all subquests in all (MQ, FFIV, FFVI and FFVIII multiple times). It's not that I don't have a life, its that I have no other games (no PS2) so I am forced to revisit the old school games. And I AM a FF NUT.

TheAbominatrix
12-11-2003, 05:11 AM
I've probably beaten more than Mandee (Shlup) has, but I'd say we're pretty evenly matched. I tend to be more insanely thorough than she does, but she's damn good on her own.

Mo-Nercy
12-11-2003, 08:21 AM
I don't have any Final Fantasy playing friends. I have some friends that have played a bit or maybe even own one, but I'm the only person within a 10 kilometre radius that has more than 2 FF games.

I hope I can get the into FFXI if it comes down here, then I can beat them in something other than Diablo II.

Flare_Star
12-11-2003, 05:01 PM
my friend is a total master of all the FFs he owns. which are -

FFVII
FFIX

which isnt much, but the thing is, i told him about FF. I told him that FFIX was really good and he said the usual:

"Final Fantasy is that rubbish game that nobody has heard about and you keep going on about"

Then i took it over his house and guess what! he bought it a few days later.

But thats not my point. He couldnt have got anywhere on thse games whithout MY help. I always supply him with guides and stuff from the internet and tell him what to do when he is stuck. If i hadnt told him anything he would be at Evil Forest wondering what the ^ button does.

Then, with his sheer patience, he gets to level 99 and finishes the game, and takes all credit. same with FFVII.

I am the fountain of all games (let alone ff) knowledge in my school and everyone asks me what to do at point X because they are stuck.

so id say that i am better than my friends.

enough of my sob story.

Mo-Nercy
12-12-2003, 12:48 PM
"Final Fantasy is that rubbish game that nobody has heard about and you keep going on about"

Then i took it over his house and guess what! he bought it a few days later.
He sees the LIGHT!

black orb
12-13-2003, 03:03 AM
>>> Im better than my brothers, my friends dont play FF :(

soulICE
12-13-2003, 04:08 PM
even bigger sob story (downright pathetic)

i have a full memory card for each final fantasy 4, 7, 8, 9, chrono cross/trigger, and working on my 6th file of 10.

i was the master of final fantasy in my electronics shop class (big thing considering my shop were a very nerdy bunch [quotes of monty python and fights between trekies and star wars a daily thing]) everyone came to me for help at some point in any game..

then i convert my bf to FF10 since all he's played is FF7 on his pc. he doesnt even need a strategy guide cause i know where to go/ items to get/ boss fights like a maniac for either game. i still have to bug him more to get a ps2 to replace his rubbish x-box (no offense)

now im at the point where my brother (the one who introduced me to FF by making me level up his party in FF7) is now asking me how to do this or that.

^pathetic, no? :rolleyes2

DJZen
12-14-2003, 06:50 AM
I own my friends at it, I've just been doing it for way longer. Hell, ever since Mystic Quest came out I was like "pwnd!" What I do with FF games is I "devour" them. What I mean by this is I play them hard and fast. I smash through dungeons, commit mass genocide, raid towns of their loot and never look back. I also play underlevelled and unprepared the whole time. Thusly, I repeatedly have to pull off miracles just to progress. You should have seen me beat the tar out of Ultimecia. I had none of the "required" spells to junction, some pathetically weak GFs (CACTUAR!!!) and comparitively few limit breaks. I rocked that woman like it weren't no thang! :D

Numisma
12-14-2003, 07:50 AM
all my friends who play any FF games are FFVII players.

my former friend Jason (no longer speaking to me) was a master at just about everything in FFVII except that he couldn't beat Ruby Weapon w/o using cheat codes. he's also a master at Kingdom Hearts (except for killing Sephiroth). he's played a lot of FFIX but never finished, he's finished FFVIII, and he's finished FFX. he tried FF Tactics once but couldn't get beyond the 4th major battle, i think he told me.

my friend Dan has played a lot of the PSX FF games (7 on up), and some of the older ones but i can't remember which ones. he's better than i am, but he's not exactly spectacular.

my cousin John is the ultimate FF obsessee. he has played just about every single FF game out there, and won it. i always go to him first (aside from here) when i'm in a whiny mood for getting help on whatever part i'm stuck at in such and such game, and i'm pretty sure it gets on his nerves at times cuz he's always telling me to just look in a walkthrough/FAQ on gamefaqs.com or something FIRST before asking him.

as for my own abilities, let's just say that i kinda babied myself while playing FFVII for the first time (used the strategy guide religiously), but that when i have played stuff in FFI and FFIV, i've only gone to the online info sources (e.g. walkthroughs) when i was really lost about something.

but um yeah, i suck at FF in comparison to my friends. and they're all guys who rock at action-based games. i'm not so hot at FFIV and FFVII b/c most of the RPGs i play have turn-based battles, so i'm more comfortable with taking my time to figure out what to do rather than live in the moment and whatnot. i'm a Dragon Warrior/Golden Sun/Lufia kinda player. that's what i'm more used to.

Edgar
12-14-2003, 02:53 PM
FFI is the only game I'm stuck with for so long. Damn, where's that item shop? Oh, there's a town in the castle? *dies*

My friend John played FFVII, FFVIII and FFTactics. He wasn't a worshipper of FFVII (he's a bit spoiled as far as graphics goes). FFVIII was something he had some hate for. We used to discuss FFtactics stretegies from time to time and besides, he's the one who indroduced me the game.

Another friend by the name of Tanakan (he's Thai) had played FFIV up to FFVIII (not sure of FFIX) but never played FFtactics (He played MQ, he hates it :)).

He said FFIV was okay, FFV was so-so, FFVI was rather good, FFVII was GOD, FFVIII was crap, at least, that's what he said.

Being a FFVI fan, he and I used to have some debates (you know, the usual FFVI vs. FFVII things:P). It was fun having a mobile forum with the thread "FFVI vs. FFVII" walking with me :)

Lufia is a good game. I suppose you like Zelda games?

Bahamut2000X
12-14-2003, 03:00 PM
Well I only have one friend who's a die hard FF fan like me and I think were about the same level of skill. As for my other friends they've only played FFX. And they are quite horrible in RPG's compared to me. Considering they had to get me to beat a lot of the later bosses in the game for them.