PDA

View Full Version : post your FFX-2 opinions here

Delice
11-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Oh by the way just to warn you all, I got FFX-2 (JPN version), and I HATED it(in my honest opinion). In my mind, I force it out of my head, that it never existed. Truely a shameful game it is. And sad thing is I am a fan of the FF franchise. But I am so glad FF12 is coming along well from what I have seen thus far.
***I wished I had NEVER gotten FFX-2 !!!***
The ultimate in "Regret" experience for me.

I did however I did think the "true ending" CG scenes were great. But the game itself was...:mad:

eternalshiva
11-20-2003, 11:43 AM
aww really? I love it. I find it fun and SUPER GIRLY which is cool in my books ;p

i90east
11-22-2003, 04:15 PM
I haven't played it (and from what I hear that's a good thing). Many people have expressed their dissapointment, including this FF Legend review:

Popping the disc into the PS2, you are greeted with the familiar "Final Fantasy X-2 Project" that introduced us to Tidus and company in the previous game. A beautiful piano score plays while going through the pre-game credits and all the familiar names are there. All the names except one.

Nobuo Uematsu

We're left thinking this may not be a bad thing considering this title screen music is a nice thing to listen to. Then, the "New Game" option is selected, we get our last cold chill of anticipation and then...

Everything goes to Hell.

The music ranges from cheesey seventies-style pop to just God-awful guitar lead solos to the worst battle music in the history of RPG's.

Okay, the music is awful, but how about the gameplay?

The game starts out with you Rikku and Payne attacking a girl on stage who looks like Yuna for reasons we cannot figure out. She has stolen Yuna's dress sphere and the girls are trying to get it back. The game revolves around competing sphere hunter groups, who apparently don't like the idea of playing fair and whoever finds it first, keeps it. Don't think that Yuna and company are different. They are just as morally inept as any other character you may come across.

Which leads us to the characters in this game. It is like Final Fantasy X annoying Yuna and Rikku get even worse this time with a huge boost of Barbie and airheaded cheerleader stereotypes. Payne is tolerable with her tough girl image, but she is no Auron. Each character is introduced with seventies TV show type images, which are straight out of the comparisons we've already heard. It's a bad Charlie's Angels episode.

To add to the "hipness" that some idiot has tried to put into this game, you don't aquire gil or items or anything else. You "score" everything. Yuna has SCORED a potion. Rikku has SCORED some stolem item.

Someone should have SCORED a brain when making this game. Four hours into it and 11% completed, I don't know if this initial impression article will ever be completed by a giving it a full review. If I play this game for 50 hours, I may not be intellegent enough to write out a full review afterward. Every minute I play this game, I feel my IQ getting lower.

However, denvergentleman has gotten further into the game and says the game redeems itself.

"...when I first got the game and got around 4 - 5 hours into it I was ready to put it away forever. I thought that it was total crap.

BUT !!!! all that changed after I completed chapter 2 and got into 3. I am 15 hours into the game and I must say that it is awesome. The Story finally starts to make sense after a while and all the other things you just get used to after a while.

All I can say is just give the game a chance, dont put it down, even though I know that you will want to. Just keep playing and there are some good suprises heading your way".

Whether or not the game gets better later on, the fact remains that the characters are incredibly stupid and look rediculous too. Well maybe it's not fact but it's beyond my level of understanding of how anyone can interpret this game as a positive thing. Plus it sounds like the music is terrible and not very respectable at all.

What do you guys think?

DeBlayde
11-22-2003, 04:45 PM
I haven't played the game yet. But from all i've seen and heard about it, I have to wonder: designed for lonely japanese programers or lonely gamers? Case in point: Rikku's outfit.

add to this Yuna's great big desert eagle looking guns which she hasn't the arm or shoulder build to use well, and the lady that looks like Auron with eye reconstructive surgery and another more dicey surgery...

seems cheezy. but then sequels are meant to be worse than the original, right? too bad really. I really enjoy FFx

eternalshiva
11-24-2003, 09:52 AM
omg... you guys should really PLAY it before you b**ch about it. I think the game is WAY better than FFX, minus the gilrly-ness, it's very fun. The guide itself is over 300 pages and there's three endings depending on how much of the game + mini-games you completed. If you don't bother going through then entire SPIRA menu and only go from HOTSPOT to HOTSPOT, you miss alot and the game is boring. BUT if you do EVERYTHING, it rocks! Everyone has their opinion but it seems silly to have an opinion about something you haven't even tried.

DeBlayde
11-25-2003, 03:29 AM
can't speak for everybody, but up here in coldest scanvinavian Hel, FFx-2 wasn't availible. fact is, i saw it for the first time the day before yesterday in a store availible to take home. so there. couldn't try it.:tongue:

MecaKane
11-25-2003, 05:27 PM
I rented FFX-2 on the weekend.I like the battle system, and the story's starting to seem pretty good. I don't like the characters, though. Except Paine, but she's still a bit too much of the "cynical bitch" cliche. I'm still gonna ask it for christmas, though.:greenie:

chionos
11-25-2003, 09:16 PM
So far I am of the opinion that x-2 is infinitely better than x. The battle system's actually enjoyable, the story's at least somewhat non-linear, and the characters don't suck as bad as you all want them to. I'm really rather sick of all the anti-hype. Just enjoy the friggin game. Yuna and Rikku are goofy little sluts, but who cares-the games hella fun. Spira's even more beautiful than before, and while the music's a few steps down from Uematsu's masterpieces(Nobuo's a god), it still keeps the game flowing rather smoothly. Take the game for what it is people, and quit dogging it for something it's not. I'm excited that squarenix's trying to tweak some things, and try out new ideas. They can't ever top the masterpieces of the nes and snes, and I don't expect them to. They're still teenagers, as it were, and it's an akward time. They're trying to lose the baby-fat of their early years and discover the lean sexy body underneath. I think some great fantasies will come from these bold, illogical, and doomed experiments; and I'll stick by them throughout the journey. I'd say by the time they get xiii to us they'll have found the middle ground they're looking for and we'll be swept away once again by their astounding blend of artistry and entertainment. At least, that's what I'm clinging to.

In any case, x-2 isn't the best ff by any means. But dammit, it's the best ff sequel ever, and you can't argue with me there.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-26-2003, 02:49 AM
If you're really bothered by such trivial things as the Charlie's Angels aspect (which disappears within the first ten minutes of the game) and the subtle use of the word score then you're just looking for things to hate.
Sphere hunting is understood as an inherently competitive occupation; Yuna and company are not "morally inept" for participating in what inevitably amounts to a lot of friendly rivalry.
Yuna's group the Gullwings merely serve the game's premise. By the end of the second of the game's five chapters, it's apparent that sphere hunting is not the focus of the game at all.
It's almost certain that a player will achieve 100% story completion by the end of their first game, particularly due to the many different paths the story can take. They need not even come close to getting that perfect percentage in order to beat the game, really, since the vast majority of the game's missions and story scenes are completely optional. FFX-2 was meant to be played many times over using the New Game Plus mode.
I like the music. No big deal. The characters' themes could be a little more...thematic, but since I had no idea they were supposed to be themes until I just recently accessed the game's sound test, it's hardly distracting.
For the record, the battle system is just as revolutionary for the series as FFX's, and a million times more fun. And I loved FFX's system.
Beautiful, wonderful game, this FFX-2.

RSL
11-26-2003, 03:26 AM
Plus it sounds like the music is terrible and not very respectable at all.

The music in this game is fine.

The first 10 minutes or so of this game are confusing and kind of stupid, but then it settles down and the game is really wonderful. I'm about halfway through the second chapter, and I'm finding myself playing it a lot more than other games I've purchased in the last year.

The battle system is fun. I like the dress sphere/job system. There's a lot of abilities to be learned with each job, and that's something I've always liked, strangely. Plus, you can make a character good at whatever. Like, right now I have Paine as mainly a fighter, Rikku is highly skilled in White and Black magic, and Yuna is kind of a jack of all trades (though I've use her gunner job more often than others.)

Anyway, really, bashing a game based on its look is sort of ridiculous. Rent the game if you don't want to spend the 50 bucks. If not, then don't write a review based on another review, and don't complain about a game that you haven't played.

eternalshiva
11-26-2003, 09:20 AM
*nods*

FFX-2 has three endings depending on what you're percentage is. The ONLY WAY to get the ultimate ending is by 100%. It is possible to get it in one swoop.

The more I play this game, the more I like it, even the girly-ness isn't bothering me anymore I actually end up laughing my arse off which is nice.

Play it through to have an informed opinion, not 10 minutes not 20 minutes, play it through.

Cyn
11-26-2003, 10:40 PM
Ah, well. It seems the internet was made to give bitchers voices so somebody might listen to them. All of the above negative comments, including everything from the FFLegend review is nit-picking, plain and simple. It's just too bad people are missing out on the game because of it, people who could really love the thing.

The music: I got the soundtrack about six months ago and completely despised it. Aside from the opening theme, the rest was garbage. Playing the game, though, after a few minutes, you don't even notice it. At certain times, it even sounds like a Nobuo score (like in the temples, and other key scenes later on).

The battle system: Personally, I liked FFX's better. There was time for strategy, and even though this one is trying to be faster, in truth, a FFX battle is over more quickly, and there is actual strategy involved. In FFX2, there isn't much time for it. A big mistake considering all the strategic options you have at your command with the dress spheres. But is the battle system as flawed as in FFVIII? Not by a longshot.

The story: I agree that early on, there isn't a lot to be found. I'm just starting chapter 3, and I like how it's heating up, but I'm certainly not expecting anything on the level of FFX. In a nutshell, Final Fantasy X-2 is this--a string of mini-games connected by moments of a slow-burning plot.

The look of the game: As expected, since it's using the same engine and settings, not much has changed. Some new areas to explore, but graphically, it's on the same level as FFX. (MINOR SPOILER) If I were to nitpick like so many others (here and on other sites as well), the only thing that slightly irked me was that they didn't bother making Lulu LOOK pregnant, since both Wakka and Lulu keep saying the baby is due very soon.

The look of the girls: I thought it was okay, the premise of Yuna changing her look to disguise herself. The trouble is, right away, everyone recognizes her, rendering that reason moot. Still, it doesn't bother me, since it doesn't detract from the game. FFX's fashion was all about skin, anyway, so X2's isn't much of a change, if you think about it.

The voice acting: Yuna is actually tolerable here. Granted, Hedy Buress's performance doesn't add anything, but at least it doesn't make you cringe with each and every (and there were too many to count) heavy pauses in her stilted dialogue in FFX. As in FFX, Tara Strong's work as Rikku is the highlight.

So, in all? Don't believe the hype, or the anti-hype, as it may be. I think I've been constructive in this short review, raising downsides that actually affected the gameplay. Some of you high on this thread are avoiding it because of bad things people have said. Play it yourself, and make your own opinion, rather than relying on someone else's trivial and often pre-conceived testimony.

Remember, a lot of people on this board had their opinion of the game cemented the minute that first poster of Yuna was shown.

Try renting it first if you're not sure about laying down $50. Decide for yourself who is giving the game a fair chance, and who is bitching for the sake of bitching.

As you've read, I'm not saying the game is perfect. It has its flaws, but the game is definitely worth the $50, in my opinion. See for yourself.

Radje
11-30-2003, 07:43 PM
Not played the game yet and hardly know anything about it's battle system etc so i wont cme up with an oppinion. However i do have high hopes.

zacks_clone
11-30-2003, 08:29 PM
I have yet to play the game,and im going to buy it.To me,everything everyone has said in this topic so far reminds me strongly of FF VII the first time i put it in the playstation.I hated the look of it,the feel of it,the costumes,the characters,the music...And it turned out to be fantasic.I think this will be what FF-X2 is,least to me.

Vaprice
12-01-2003, 12:25 AM
The game is a lot better than X. It doesnt have the grid sphere like in X which was a pain. As you go along through the game it gets a lot better. There is some girlyness in it though, somewhat funny to my appealing senses...^_^. Sorry. Some of the bosses are hard. I found this game to be very entertaining to me. oh and "brother" the al Bhed. Seems very interested in YUNA...hehehehe, hes so funny.

m4tt
12-01-2003, 06:02 PM
When I first heard about this game, I thought it was a bad idea. I bought it the day before thanksgiving, and it's been hard to stop playing it. If my memory card hadn't crapped out on me, I'd probably of beat it by now, but I'm only just starting chapter 3. The voice acting is very good, and I like how they improved some of the animations. Like facial expressions. Rikku has some good ones.

The mini games are like FFX, not very fun. :p Sphere Break is so lame, math is not fun at all. The Thunderplanes "Calibration" game is quite hard.

I also have a gripe about Lulu not looking pregnant. That's just lazyness on Square-enix's part. But whatever. The game is great, not the best FF by far, but still pretty damn good.

inlineskating29
12-01-2003, 11:18 PM
whats really stupid is bi**tching about what they wear
if your 13-17 girls dress just like that tight shorts and shirts and short ok so whats the big deal.

twobitmage
12-02-2003, 06:49 AM
im sick and tired of people bashing certain games.

"a disgrace to the series" they say, "horrible game"

but really, its not BAD, its DIFFERENT. I find it almost amusing sometimes that people cannot differentiate between the two words.

"ff6 was the best in the series! old school is best!". what can be implied from this (or similar bashing remarks)? that everygame that said person plays has to be in some way likened to ff6 (or its close cousins) to be enjoyable.

But tell me, do you like steak? do you like ice cream? sure you do! (if not play along for hypothetical purposes)

but which do you prefer? steak? ok. but you still like icecream correct?

but do you like icecream BECAUSE it is similar to steak? no! its a great food in its own right! it doesnt have to taste like steak to be good! in fact, if every food tasted like steak, we'd all get hella tired of it!

if you try "ice cream" for the first time, do not expect it to be anything like, "steak", because if you really want something that tastes like "steak", nothing will compare to the real thing. you might as well just eat "steak". when eating the "ice cream" pay no attention to past conceptions, enjoy it for what it is. Steak is supposed to taste a tad salty, juicy and firm. Ice cream is supposed to taste sweet and soft. Is salty a bad thing? no! is sweet a bad thing? no!

gah I had to get that off my back

FInalfantasyfinatic4
12-05-2003, 08:03 PM
hey ive beet the game 3 times and i think that it ia a realy good game i mean ffx in some cases was better but the graphics and voices for x-2 were gereat. i just wish it was more longer....