PDA

View Full Version : Best FF game opinions (include 5 & 6)

Stayin Dizzy
11-20-2003, 07:53 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this one, but since 1-4 was here I thought it to be the best fit. Ok, so I'm currently going thorugh the ritual of trying to beat EVERY good square RPG (yes I know I might die trying but hey, it's a cause). Now I'm starting with the FF series which I fell in love with when I first saw/heard/played/experienced/lived FF7 (which will always be my FAVORITE game, just above Chrono Cross, and Zelda---and Maybe the Madden games!). Anyways, I have every FF game up through 9 (translated versions thank god) and I just finished FF4 making my completion list I,III,IV,VII,VIII. I'm halfway through 9(but need to buy a new one ((disk 3 is messed up, that will teach me to buy a used game)), and I'm trying to decide which to beat next. What does everyone think has the best FF storyline, or if you think I might like a certain one based on what I've said above. Also I feel like getting these things off my chest:

1: FF4 Hardtype was not that hard... I sneaked a certain something from a certain last boss and his attacks were futile (the fact that I leveled up to 99 helped too)

2: Anyone who did not enjoy Chrono Cross did not understand that game well enough. I've seen some 25-50 endings already and have heard theres more. It's worth dedicating the time to earn every character, see every plot change, and see the reprecussions of making every choice in the game...some funny endings if you want to invest the time

And finally 3: I don't know about anyone else but I'm dying to see advent children...here's a link I found to some screenshots of the film: http://ff7-2.com/index.php?id=gallery or just try ff7-2.com and go to galleries

Lord Chainsaw
11-21-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by ds4284
1: FF4 Hardtype was not that hard... I sneaked a certain something from a certain last boss and his attacks were futile (the fact that I leveled up to 99 helped too)

I hear that in FF4 after a certain level your stats go down after you level up. I was never able to confirm this.

DocFrance
11-21-2003, 06:37 AM
After you reach level 70, your stats may go up or down. For example (this is taken from a guide on gamefaqs.com):

Rydia can gain
+3 strength, 3 agility, 3 wisdom, 3 will
+2 strength, 2 vitality, 2 wisdom, 2 will
-1 strength, wisdom, will
-1 strength, agility, will
-1 strength, vitality, will
+1 all
+3 wisdom, 3 will

These are selected at random every time a character levels up past level 70. Also, the possibilities are different for each character - for example, Cecil is the only character who's stats will never decrease.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-21-2003, 02:06 PM
Chrono Cross only had about eleven endings. Having different people in your party to say different things after the last boss fight does not constitute new endings.

Stayin Dizzy
11-21-2003, 03:09 PM
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Having different people in your party to say different things after the last boss fight does not constitute new endings
--------------------------------------------------------------------

********UNMARKED SPOILERS***********

Well done with that! I seriously thought there was more but I just went through all my saved games and sure enough there's 11. BUT...having different characters in your party CAN affect your ending. i.e. by beating new game + AS SOON as Kid joins your party you get: Serge and Leena are back in Arni village; Serge has become a fisherman. Kid goes on to Viper Manor, gets her revenge against Lynx, obtains the Frozen Flame and becomes the new general of Viper Manor. Kid thwarts the Porre invasion and creates the Acacia Empire using the Frozen Flame.

Or my personal favorite is if you have Nikki and Razzley in your party right after you cure Kid, you get the concert ending with the Magical Dreamers.

Dalkaen
11-23-2003, 06:53 AM

No, its not as difficult as some people say.

2: Anyone who did not enjoy Chrono Cross did not understand that game well enough. I've seen some 25-50 endings already and have heard theres more. It's worth dedicating the time to earn every character, see every plot change, and see the reprecussions of making every choice in the game...some funny endings if you want to invest the time
I understood the game. I got some small enjoyment out of it. But I had difficulty enjoying it because of the lack of character development for the majority of the cast. And no, a funny accent, or personality trait is not development.

And as for your question on which game has the best storyline, I'd have to say that FFVI had the best out of those I've beaten, which are: FFIV-FFIX, and FFT.

Stayin Dizzy
11-23-2003, 07:37 PM
****Unmarked Spoilers******
I do agree there was a lack of charater development. But if they would have really put a whole lot of effort into developing ALL the charaters then it would have drawn focus away from the story itself. I mean, you did get minor little things ie skelly talking with his mom or grandma or whaterever or the ending where it says something about starkys real mission being to take over the planet. But I really wouldn't have wanted to see huge character development for charaters like funguy, turnip, etc. I wouldn't have minded learning more about Harle though, or Glenn. But as long as it took me to beat the game enough times to get all the character and see all the endings, I'm not sure I'd want to see too much character development. It's kind of like FF4 where you don't really find out too much about Cain but he's a great supporting character. Or Edward (the Bard) only gets a few little cameos outside of the hour or two that he's in your party

PS I'm playing FF6 right now and loving it! I just got the Ramah Magicite. Only problem is that I like the japanese originals better because the script isnt so edited, but my translation patch was incmplete so i'm playinf FF3(us)
I've been told theres no major differences though

Dalkaen
11-27-2003, 12:08 AM
Nah, there's no huge differences. I hope you enjoy FFVI. Its a great game.

And also, I think Cain/Kain had some excellent character development, especially if you talk to him near the beginning of the game before you set off on your adventure. He tells you a lot about himself. And Edward was developed too, I think, with the whole Anna situation, and conflict with Tellah, and his facing his fears and whatnot...

Gotter
12-05-2003, 07:18 AM
****Unmarked Spoilers******
I do agree there was a lack of charater development. But if they would have really put a whole lot of effort into developing ALL the charaters then it would have drawn focus away from the story itself. I mean, you did get minor little things ie skelly talking with his mom or grandma or whaterever or the ending where it says something about starkys real mission being to take over the planet. But I really wouldn't have wanted to see huge character development for charaters like funguy, turnip, etc. I wouldn't have minded learning more about Harle though, or Glenn. But as long as it took me to beat the game enough times to get all the character and see all the endings, I'm not sure I'd want to see too much character development. It's kind of like FF4 where you don't really find out too much about Cain but he's a great supporting character. Or Edward (the Bard) only gets a few little cameos outside of the hour or two that he's in your party

ya the game would have been boring if it developed all of the characters
but did the game really need 44 characters??

it would have been much better if there were like 11 characters and it spent more time devolping them more. Did the game seriously need a mexican Wrestler character?