PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing??

Stayin Dizzy
11-20-2003, 10:15 PM
I'm on a mission to beat every good rpg related to ff. I currently have beat FF: 1,3j,4j,7,8 and am halfway through 9... I HAVE secret of mana, secret of evermore, FF Mystic Quest, FF: 2j,5j,6j as well. I also just learned today that I need to beat FF 10, 11, 12??, Bahumut Lagoon, Sieken Densetsu 1-3, Saga 1-3, Kingdom Hearts, Vagrant Story, XenoGears, FF Tactics, and FF tactics advance. I'll post this in the forum as well but I figured you'd have the best knowledge of them...Also which ones should I play first? Or doesn't it matter as it seems after FF5 they all fell off the plot?

Advent Child
11-20-2003, 11:52 PM
You mean squaresoft games? Kingdom hearts is the best one.

ZeZipster
11-21-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Advent Child

You're a very funny person.

eternalshiva
11-21-2003, 10:11 AM
It is the best one *glares at ZeZipster* FFX. FFX-2 are PS2 Games and FFXI is a online game. It will be released for PS2 in March I think. FFXII won't be around till probably 2005 :| FFX-2 is actually SUPER complicated, the guide book alone is 300 pages... the mini-games section has a MENU! A MENU!

Final Fantasy Tactics is good, I liked it. I havn't tried FF Tactics Advanced cause its a GBA game and I don;t have one. There's also FF: Crystal Chronicles coming out on Game Cube soon! >.<

I HATED Vagrant Story, the battle system gave me a headache. The other ones meh :/ I havn't really tried all of them. Have fun!

Rainecloud
11-21-2003, 04:11 PM
My advice: play Kingdom Hearts, avoid Vagrant Story.

The camera in Kingdom Hearts did make me very nauseous, so you might want to invest in some medicine of sorts before you attempt to play it - that is if you're prone to sickness.

Radje
11-22-2003, 06:02 AM
What is vagrnt story? Never heard of it.

Shoyku
11-22-2003, 06:15 AM
Kingdom Hearts isn't the best, in my opinion. However, I love the Front Mission series.

Dalkaen
11-23-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Radje
What is vagrnt story? Never heard of it.
Vagrant Story is a Squaresoft game with an interesting battle system, with a male main character with a girl's name. Yes, that's succinct enough.

Okay, well. Play FFVI. Now.

Stayin Dizzy
11-23-2003, 07:38 PM
playing FF6 right now and loving it! I just got the Ramah Magicite. Only problem is that I like the japanese originals better because the script isnt so edited, but my translation patch was incmplete so i'm playinf FF3(us)
I've been told theres no major differences though. I see why everyone likes it so much though

Mr. Graves
11-24-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Advent Child

Originally posted by ZeZipster
You're a very funny person.

I agree with you there, Zip.

My advice?? Go for beating FF5. It's probably the best FF ever made, despite the rather weak storyline.

And yes, ignore Kingdom Hearts.

Outsider
11-24-2003, 05:48 AM
Don't forget Chrono Trigger, man it's a MUST... Beautiful game, great characters, great history... Yeah!

And you can skip Chrono Cross, it's a massive waste of time.

Stayin Dizzy
11-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Ah that's harsh man!!! I beat Chrono Trigger years ago and still play, but I LOVE chrono cross! That's right up there at the top for me. I know many people disliked it but gosh, to me it was one of the best sequals ever (i know, some characters underdeveloped, too many characters, didn't like the story, I've heard them all).

P.S. CC FANS RULE!!! (snicker)

DJZen
11-29-2003, 07:31 AM
Vagrant story is..... weird.... If I remember correctly it played kinda like Parasite Eve and kinda like Kingdom Hearts. You run around in a huge dungeon smacking bats and such around with your cudgel of doom until you can find better weapons and weapon parts to upgrade to. I enjoyed it thoroughly for the small amount of time I was able to rent it for. It's got more of an old-skewl geeky paper and pencil, raw number crunching rpg feel to it, so I can see why a lot of people didn't like it. And I'll have you know that Ashley is a guy's name in Europe, so nyah!

Other good games to play that are somewhat FF related are.... umm... Well Ehrgeiz is related but I didn't like it at all. There's also the Chocobo games, Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon and Chocobo Racing. They're fun distractions at best, but eh... You may also want to play Threads Of Fate, Legend of Mana and, when it comes out, Sword of Mana.

Spatvark
11-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Vagrant Story is one of Squares best games in my honest opinion. The gameplay could be a bit fiddly in places, and some of the bosses are seriously rock hard, but with the best plot they've ever done (Yes, I think it's better than Xenogears, though not by much) and a fairly intuitive battle system, Vagrant Story is an excellent game.

Xenogears has arguably one of the worst gameplay's of Square's games, though most of teh time you won't mind it too much. What it does have though is great music and a brilliant plot that will suck you in. As I've said, Vagrant Story's plot is better, but not by much and both of these games keep you playing for the storyline more than the actual gameplay.

FF6 is an absolute classic that so many people absolutely love. I, on the otherhand though, don't. It's not a bad game and the gameplay itself is alright and has one of the best villains Square have ever created as well as some great music and some awesome scenes, at times the game is boring as hell and after a certain pivotal part of the game, the entire plot falls to pieces and the game becomes far too fractured for my likings. But still... it's FF6. It's a classic, albeit a flawed one.

I'm no fan of FF5 I'll admit, but for those who can stand job systems, it's not a bad game at all. I'd at least recommend trying it =P FF2 on the otherhand is a pain in the arse to play, but is another one of those games that has a pretty good plot, which is the reason I managed to finish it with my sanity intact.

Bahamut Lagoon is a tactical rpg, and a game I found so intensely boring, I couldn't get more than half an hour in before stopping and deleting the rom. I'm no fan of this at all, but others do say good things about it.

If you're going to play any Squaresoft game, I'd say you've GOT to play Chrono Trigger, simply because it's the best game they've ever done. While the plot isn't particularly deep really, it is incredibly fun, easy to pick up, has immense replayability and there are a few scenes that always mange to really hit home for me.

As for it's sequel, Chrono Cross, it's one of those games that you'll either love or hate. Personally, I love it. The battle system is reminiscent of Xenogears, though improved upon, the plot is deep and involving and again, it is fun to play, though not as fun as the original. Admittedly, far too much plot is on the second disc and not the first, and a lot of people complain about it being too convoluted for them, I say that's rubbish. As long as you actually think about what's going on, the plot isn't that difficult to understand. Also worth mentioning is the great music in the game, especially some of the battle tracks and the intro tune. The final complaint people have about this game is the large number of playable characters (42 in total), but I really don't see how that's a problem. Just don't play them then ¬_¬

Also worth mentioning is the earlier pseudo-sequel to Chrono Trigger, Radical Dreamers. It's not an RPG at all, but a graphical text-adventure really, but the plot is fairly good, and after playing CT, I just HAD to play this.

The Seiken Densetsu series (Final Fantasy Adventure on the GB, Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2 on the SNES, Legend of Mana on the PSX and Sword of Mana/Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu on the GBA) are action rpgs that are somewhat similar to the first few Zelda games, but in my opinion, rise above them. The plot can be a bit ropey in the first two, but all of these games are just plain fun, especially if you can find people to play them with since they encourage multi-player gaming. I'd especially recommend Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2 as the pick of the series so far.

Secret of Evermore was developed and made by Square USA, and as such, is one of their worst games, but it does have its good points, that must be said.

FF: Mystic Quest is without a doubt, the worst FF game I've ever played. I mean, the fact you can kill the final boss in one hit says something about a game, doesn't it? ¬_¬

FFT:A blows great big chunks. I've heard the original on the PSX, FFT, is far, far better, and it's produced by the same team that did Vagrant Story, so you can count on it having a fairly decent storyline.

As for the rest of the games mentioned, unfortunately I haven't played them =S

Finally, I'd like to point you in the direction of the FF Legend series on the Gameboy, especially the third and final one, which is the game that really got me into RPGs in the first place.

Oh, and one final thing, I'd recommend not limiting ourself to just FF stuff, especially with the merger of Square and Enix. The latter company has produced many a fine RPG themselves, including the likes of Terranigma and the Dragon Warrior series, not to mention Konami's Suikoden series and Atlus' Tactics Ogre series as well.

There, I think that's it =P

DJZen
11-29-2003, 09:09 PM
Well if we're gonna talk Enix RPGs.....

Act Raiser and Soul Blazer/Legend of Gaia are awesome. Get them, play them, love them. I sold my copy of Soul Blazer after beating it 5,000,000,000 times, and I've regretted that choice ever since.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
11-29-2003, 09:40 PM
It's Illusion of Gaia, not Legend of Gaia. Also play Terranigma, the third game in the series.

Kossage
11-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Yeah, like Kishi said, I recommend you try Terranigma. I finished it just about a month ago and it certainly wasn't a waste of my time. Terranigma is a really interesting RPG and although it has some cliché moments, it surprises you once in a while. It's so much fun reviving the world, and you actually have great influence on the world (like town growth etc.).

Terranigma isn't the best RPG ever made: it lacks in some aspects and doesn't have as deep plot as Final Fantasies, but I still liked it. Why? It's fun to play and the music is great. Exploring the world is cool, especially because you can affect its development. There are plenty of things to do (you'll bump into many hidden places if you just wander around the world enough) and various different locations to travel to. The plot starts to get better towards the end - it even surprised me at some points. Terranigma's graphics are awesome and really nice in some parts (I really liked the Evergreen area with all the nice plants and beautiful music).

Anyway, you should give Terranigma a try if you're interested in playing a fun RPG that has a wide world to explore. It isn't the best there is but it sure is entertaining and interesting.

Rostum
11-30-2003, 01:12 AM
Has no one mentioned Threads Of Fate?
*covers head before being beaten*

Common guys it wasn't THAT bad, I enjoyed it.