PDA

View Full Version : Someone screwed my homepage!

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-22-2003, 04:34 AM
It started sometime today. When I opened my internet explorer (I had accidentally hit the x and was trying to get back onto the site I exited out of) a completely different homepage popped up. It says I need protection against "Spy Ware" and that I need to get it so that popups won't appear and that I can set my homepage to whatever I want. Then I get a popup from this "Spy Ware" site that opens my CD drive and says "Your CD drive is open, get Spy Ware protection so that this doesn't happen!". Basically, this site has done exactly what it is saying that it will protect me from, and I don't doubt that downloading whatever they want me to download will only make it worse. Can I do anything about this? Help!

BlkKnight
11-22-2003, 04:55 AM
Run Adaware and SpyBot. They can be found almost anywhere and will get rid of any spyware hiding in your computer (which yes, you probably have.)

Rainecloud
11-22-2003, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't worry about the CD drive thing. It's probably just an automated reaction. What I mean to say is, there isn't a person sat somewhere, pressing buttons to make your computer do things. At least it doesn't look like there is...

Just run Adaware from this (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/) site.

crono_logical
11-22-2003, 12:22 PM
The CD drive thing is a security hole thing in IE - up to you if you want to still use that browser, even though it's possible for someone to take over your PC using IE security holes :D

Rye
11-23-2003, 01:53 AM
My homepage gets changed alot to ad, too :rolleyes2 I hate it. But it's easy to fix.