PDA

View Full Version : voice overs

FFboy4ever
11-23-2003, 05:51 PM
i just wanted to see how many people would think it would be good to have 7 8 and 9 redone with voice overs? i would love it:)

Cz
11-23-2003, 06:07 PM
I've already got an idea of what those characters sound like. If they remade the games with voice overs it would ruin my vision of them as characters. Voices in the new games are alright, but in remakes they're a bad idea.

DocFrance
11-24-2003, 06:15 AM
Pretty much what the black mage said. For example: I've never played Kingdom Hearts, but I just found out that Aeris is voiced by Mandy Moore. Nuh-uh, that just wouldn't fly in my idea of what she sounds like. Besides, it's better just to imagine it, as your imagination can never be wrong to you.

Azure
11-26-2003, 02:59 PM
I think that in all honesty, Mandy did a pretty good job of Aeris. I was expecting her to be crap, but she was a lot better than I thought she would be. Actually all the voice actors from KH were very good, much better than those from FFX.
I would love to hear them done over with voices, it would certainly add a new depth to the game. Although the original will always be the best :D
Barret's voice over could be done by Mr T ^_^

FFboy4ever
11-27-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Azure
I think that in all honesty, Mandy did a pretty good job of Aeris. I was expecting her to be crap, but she was a lot better than I thought she would be. Actually all the voice actors from KH were very good, much better than those from FFX.
I would love to hear them done over with voices, it would certainly add a new depth to the game. Although the original will always be the best :D
Barret's voice over could be done by Mr T ^_^

My thoughts exactly Azure!;)

Jenovas_witness
11-28-2003, 03:05 AM
The problem, which maybe people don't notice if they're American, is that to English speakers from everywhere else all the characters in FFX seem to be from the same small part of the world, even Tidus, which is a shame after Square went to so much trouble with the character design to make him appear from a completely different place to everybody else.

In my head, Yuffie is Japanese, Aeris is Russian, Tifa's Australian, Barrett is from whichever part of the US Mr T is from, Choco Bill and Choco Billy are from Alabama and Cait Sith is Welsh. Whatever places everybody else has imagined them from, whilst Americans are used enough to their own accents to be able to hear all the slight tone and accent changes that give the characters personality, to non-Americans, they're just all going to sound as if they're from the same place.

And.................if the dubbing....................pauses............... half as...............often as yuna................ does, it's................going to do my.................head in.

DocFrance
11-28-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Jenovas_witness
In my head, Yuffie is Japanese, Aeris is Russian, Tifa's Australian, Barrett is from whichever part of the US Mr T is from, Choco Bill and Choco Billy are from Alabama and Cait Sith is Welsh. Whatever places everybody else has imagined them from, whilst Americans are used enough to their own accents to be able to hear all the slight tone and accent changes that give the characters personality, to non-Americans, they're just all going to sound as if they're from the same place. Heh, that's definitely an interesting way of thinking of it. I sort of make that distinction myself... I always thought Cloud, Tifa, and Cait Sith all had a southern twang, Aeris spoke like a New Yorker, and Cid sounded sort of like Dennis Leary...

But it's different for everyone, because those voices and accents fit for what that person believes the game should be. The moment you introduce voice overs, you shatter that unique idea for everyone and replace it with something they might not like.