PDA

View Full Version : Time outs

Ichy
11-26-2003, 02:44 PM
Here I am typing a nice long post, throwing down a whole lot of pertinent information and making my contribution to our nice little community and I go to hit preview... "Sorry, you are not logged in." I think, ok gonna backstep and copy the post to make sure I don't lose it... "Sorry, you are not logged in." Wtf? Ok, backstep again... "Sorry, you are not logged in." Dammit! Better go forward instead of hitting next, so I don't lose the record in the history of everything I've done... "Warning! The page has expired!" M***** F*****!

Sound familiar, anyone? Sure, I could use the bandaid solution and keep repeating in my head "Copy before preview or post... copy before preview or post...", but why should I have to? I've lost countless posts this way, not to mention the disgusting number of arcade scores floating in no-name limbo...

Is there some option I am missing somewhere that can remedy this? Is it the site? Is it my browser?

.... Copying Now ....

EDIT: AHH CRAP, I think I found the problem... ;) All good, issue is self solved. Nevermind.

......... Gonna leave this here so people can see how I was an idiot for not taking the 30 seconds (seriously) to find what I needed in the Help FAQ.....

Dr Unne
11-26-2003, 05:42 PM
Even better would be to say what the problem was, and how you fixed it, so other people can benefit.

eestlinc
11-26-2003, 06:47 PM
set your options so you stay logged in long enough to type a long post, or choose "always keep me logged in". You can also make a copy of really long posts before posting them, just in case.

crono_logical
11-26-2003, 11:44 PM
You can't choose how long you stay logged in before timing out if you idle on one page, admins do :p I think it's either 15 or 20 minutes, but I'm too lazy to check :p

Copy/pasting long posts from something like notepad is a good idea though :p

Peegee
12-01-2003, 10:09 AM
What's so wrong about setting the timeout to something ludicrous like three hours? God forbid we have people foolish enough to stay logged in at public computers and walking off...

Dr Unne
12-01-2003, 07:05 PM
Probably because session IDs for those people would stay in the database (if that's where they're stored) for hours. The "Who's Online" section would show hundreds of people, making it mostly worthless. Who knows what other problems it'd cause. I'm sure it's set to a low value for a good reason.

eestlinc
12-02-2003, 01:13 AM
well, i have my options set so that I log in automatically every time i view any page, so i never have this problem of timing out while posting a long reply.

Peegee
12-03-2003, 02:00 PM
eestlinc is right; I loaded up eoff.com/forums on my ex's computer weeks after I last posted here from her computer, and I was still 'logged on'.

Thus I don't think it has anything to do with avoiding huge 'online now' lists, but rather a problem in the local computer not storing silly passwords or what-have-you long enough.