PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Summon Spells

Yukon
06-18-2001, 07:36 AM
Which FF game has the best summon spells?
IMO, ff8.

ikebaldo
04-15-2002, 09:33 PM
I would say that ff9's were the best

They looked amazing!!

But i havent seen the summons on ff10 yet though!!

Lord Nathor
04-15-2002, 09:34 PM
They are cool too in FF9 but in FF8, they are...
...they are...
They are!

crono_logical
04-15-2002, 09:35 PM
1. Wrong Forum
2. Where's the Poll? :confused:

*moves thread to Gen. FF*

abrojtm
04-15-2002, 11:11 PM
The Aeons in FFX are by far the coolest as you can control thier attacks.

As crono said, where's the poll?

MoogleRush
04-16-2002, 02:08 AM
The aeons in FFX. They're controllable, they have their own overdrives, you can make them learn abilities.

It now feels like they are a part of your party, instead of being weapons to be used for battle or to enhance your party.

Venom2k
06-08-2002, 03:23 PM
i hate the idea of ff10 sphere grid... i prefere level ups

Loony BoB
06-08-2002, 03:40 PM
*agrees with crono* It's a pity you can't add polls to a thread after it's started. Ah well.

I reckon FFVIII had the best ones. Good variety, plus some were entertaining =D Gotta love that Tonberry King. And Cactuar! WOO! xD It's also quite well done how you have to wait a bit while you summon the suckers.

crono_logical
06-08-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Loony BoB
*agrees with crono* It's a pity you can't add polls to a thread after it's started. Ah well.

*adds poll to thread* :D

Not sure if FF1/2 had summons, guess that can always be changed though :)

Bahamut2000X
06-08-2002, 06:16 PM
FFIX of course. Here are my reasons why.

FFX They just got to be TOO powerful. I killed the final boss in 2 hits using ONLY one summon. (and I NEVER got CLOSE to being fully maxed out with everything.)

FFVIII Relies on you to use your summons for just about EVERY battle up unti lthe last battle which took fricking forever without my summons.

FFVII Good use of summons but never got the chance to use them much.

FFVI NEVER used a summon through the whole game unless I got bored. All they ever did was waste MP and time as Ultima and such did the job faster and cheaper.

FFV by the end the summons were ok but still we weak against the final boss.

FFIV Good usage but still most summons were pointless (bomb? Sylph? Asura? what was the point?)

FFIII good because they had more thne just one kind of attack but bad as even the mighty Bahamut was only hitting for maybe 1000 on the last boss. Waste of MP for anything but cure4 with my sages in that battle.

The reason why I chose FFIX's summons was clear. They were strong and very usefull. I found EVERY summon usefull but 2 Atomos and Carbunkle. But I used them all the time as they were well worth the MP cost.

Del Murder
06-08-2002, 08:56 PM
FFVII, it's what summons are supposed to be. Wicked magic spells that do loads of damage and take hella mp.

FFIX had this too but only 2 people could use them.

Spuuky
06-08-2002, 11:51 PM
Cactuar, Tonberry, Diablos.

:)

Giga Guess
06-09-2002, 01:40 AM
Response to Bahamut2000X:

FFX: I'll concede that one.

FFVIII: <cough> Meltdown and Lionheart </cough>
Oh, and creative use of the junction system all but eliminates the need for GFs to be summoned.

FFVII: I'm assuming you were talking about the obscene MP costs? Worth it, and pretty fair, really.

FFVI: I'll concede that. However, the Espers CAN be useful. (Bismark in the burning house.)

FFV: UH-UH!!! Bahamut is TOO useful! As was Carbunkle, at times. Odin saved my hide more times than I care to count.

FFIV: Asura aslo saved my butt. The ability to cast a random beneficial spell on EVERYONE helps a LOT.

Never played FF3.

Admittedly, FF9 had great summons, but....I dunno....the ability to actually CONTROL the summons? Too good to be true!

Spuuky
06-09-2002, 01:50 AM
I was just voting on how absurdly cool I think those summons are, by the way. Value in combat is not an issue.

Master.Pug
06-09-2002, 09:48 AM
vote for FFVII!
Odin looks awesome!

FF6- Summons are quite useless in battle, never used them very often...

FF8:looking great, but you have to use them too often

FF5:...Summons are OK!

FF4: Bahamut is important!

FF3: Cool!!!!!!!The first FF-summons !!!!

1+2 don't have summons(CL is right!)
Haven't played 9+10 yet!

Venom2k
06-09-2002, 12:03 PM
9 was brilliant but 10 was a bit dissapointing

Lengis
06-10-2002, 11:13 PM
FFX for a few reasons

1) They are the most powerfull Summons ever in all of FF
2) You can control them like normal characters
3) They look AWSOME
4) Anima is AWSOME
5) Bahamut is AWSOME
6) Did I mention Anima is awsome?

Ragnarok
06-14-2002, 06:15 AM
My favorite summon spells were in Final Fantasy Tactics. But my judgement is a bit clouded since it is my favorite final fantasy game.

BG-57
06-14-2002, 04:39 PM
I'd say VIII has the best looking summons I've seen. I've even collected most of the GF action figures (except Shiva and I'm not sure if they ever issued Quetzecoatl). (I haven't played X, but I thought the action figure for Anima looks more evil than any of the monsters!).

I really liked the fact in IX that they used weapons most of the time instead of the full summons. Full summons chew up a huge amount of game time and although the power was lower, I liked to be able to keep battles shorter.

That being said, I think that the most overblown summon spell is definately Knights of the Round. And am I the only one who sings the 'Camelot' song from Monty Python and Holy Grail when summoning KOR?

Sefie1999AD
06-18-2002, 12:34 AM
I agree with most points with Bahamut2000X. But let's see.

FF3j had the innovative thing of various summon attacks, and the summons looked cool too. This is also the first FF to have summoned monsters. They weren't useless at all. You can use Shiva to kill those FlameDevils in the Crystal Tower with one blow even if 3 of them get a back attack and each flame you. Bahamut is also an excellent way to destroy things. It's one of the most powerful attack in the game, as it does 3000-6000+ damage. Only HASTEd Shuriken does more damage

FF4 had pretty cool summons, though I didn't use them too much. Well, more than for FF6 at least. Bahamut is cool, especially against the last boss. It does 8000-9999 damage, and it's a lot faster to cast than Meteo. It also hits all targets.

FF5 had really useful summons. They didn't take much MP (especially the lower-level ones. the higher-level ones don't take much either, when you use Goldpins), and you can cast them for infinite times, and all 4 of your characters can cast them. In my first game, I won loads of hard boss fights by using 4 summoners casting Titan, or later Syldra, or even later Leviathan and Bahamut. And Bahamut is magnificent against Neo-Exdeath: it does 3000-4000 damage to every part! The only attack which could do more damage to Neo Exdeath would be GilToss.

FF6's summons had great story, but they sucked in battle. They also took loads of MP, and you could only cast them once in battle. Just like Bahamut2000X, I never used Espers in FF6 unless I was really bored.

FF7 had my favorite set of summons, but you can read more about that here (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19847). The summon spells are pretty powerful and I like to use them during boss fights.

FF8 had pretty cool-looking summon animations and for long they are the only ways to kill enemies, but I think the summon animations are too long, especially when you cast them hundreds of times during the game, in every battle. The effects are still really cool, IMHO, especially with Alexander.

FF9 had very cool summons too. I never used them much until I got Boost, because I wanted to do full damage with them. I wonder why I spared them so much. They would have done nice damage for not too high MP cost. Meh, I guess I was stupid and over-sparing. But the summon animations are really, really cool. And the amazing FMVs with Eidolons will take your breath away.

I won't analyze FFX or FFT summons, because I haven't played too much of those yet.

mog42
06-18-2002, 04:08 AM
I think that FFIV definitely had the most useful summon monsters. In other games, I didn't use summon magic very much because it wasn't as necessary for survival. The only exception is FFVII where Knights of the Round is pretty much required to beat the 2 secret bosses.

LOCKE 54
06-27-2002, 09:44 PM
I definitely voted for FFX. The summons are the best-rendered ones yet, and you can actually control them instead of just the previous "fire and forget" arrangement. As for the others...

FFIX: Eh. They were good, but only 2 characters could use them, and those two characters' entire offense (except for Holy) rested on these summon spells, which took quite a bit of MP.

FFVIII: I didn't like this game in general so that doesn't predispose me to say too many good things about the summons. Beyond that, I do feel they played way too big of a role in FFVIII between junctioning and them being in most cases your most potent offensive weapon.

FFVII:
And am I the only one who sings the 'Camelot' song from Monty Python and Holy Grail when summoning KOR?

...the downside here is that you can get the entire song in during the hugely overextended duration of the animation, through which you're forced to wait and twiddle your thimbs since you can't use commands.

FFVI: The summons, aside from maybe a couple, just weren't that good. They cost an exorbitant amount of MP and could be used only once.

FFV: Haven't played

FFIV: In most cases I found Rydia's Black Magic to be more powerful than the summons she was equipped with. Moreover, the spells cost less MP than the summons.

FFIII: Haven't played

moon light
07-10-2002, 12:45 AM
ffx

Aviva
07-10-2002, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by LOCKE 54
FFIX: Eh. They were good, but only 2 characters could use them, and those two characters' entire offense (except for Holy) rested on these summon spells, which took quite a bit of MP.

thats because the main purpose for those 2 characters is to heal the party.

i think FFIX had the best summons; just because i like Ark :D also because i didn't like the huge MP cost in FFVII and the whole compatibility thing in FFVIII

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-10-2002, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Sephiroth1999AD
FF4 had pretty cool summons, though I didn't use them too much. Well, more than for FF6 at least. Bahamut is cool, especially against the last boss. It does 8000-9999 damage, and it's a lot faster to cast than Meteo. It also hits all targets.
Originally posted by LOCKE 54
FFIV: In most cases I found Rydia's Black Magic to be more powerful than the summons she was equipped with. Moreover, the spells cost less MP than the summons.It seems to me that a lot of people don't realize that the damage dealt by Lydia's Mist Dragon summoning is proportional (but not exactly so) to her current HP. So if you level her up, feed her a couple Gold Apples, and keep her healed throughout battles, you can deal maximum damage for the very little time and MP that Mist Dragon costs.

Shiroi Kumo
07-10-2002, 04:43 AM
Yeesh, I just realised how very, very FF-igronant I am.

*follows Kawaii around with a pad and pencil*

Cheers.

bennator
07-10-2002, 04:53 AM
I'm not going to analyze the other games, because people have already said what I want to say about them, however I will look at FFT.

In FFT summons were much more useful at the begining of the game, because enemies had slower speeds, so your summons would go off before they could act. Later in the game, you would need to have the 'short charge' ability equiped to make the summons go off in a reasonable amount of time. Summons did have the adavantage of being 'smart', they didn't hit allies (for offensive ones), meaning you could cast them in an area where some of your units were.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-10-2002, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by CloudRider
Yeesh, I just realised how very, very FF-igronant I am.

*follows Kawaii around with a pad and pencil*

Cheers. http://kayarco2.hypermart.net/btaf/btafgold.png (http://www.angryflower.com/worksm.gif)

The Man
07-11-2002, 01:33 AM
OOC:We might note that he much prefers to be called Kishi. Having a stranger call you cute is somewhat... weird.
I've only played FFIV-VI, and I only used summons frequently in FFV. I barely used them at all in FFVI. Thus, I'm not going to vote on this poll.

Peace
The Man

Shiroi Kumo
07-11-2002, 04:55 AM
Urp. :eep:

No one tells me these things, but how am I calling him cute? And just out of sheer curiousity, what is the point of that cartoon that Kishi posted in reply to my comment? :confused:

Cheers.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-11-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by CloudRider
Urp. :eep:

No one tells me these things, but how am I calling him cute?"Kawaii" means "cute" in Japanese. Hi.
And just out of sheer curiousity, what is the point of that cartoon that Kishi posted in reply to my comment? :confused:Click on it to see the whole thing.
Cheers. STOP SAYING THAT.

Giga Guess
07-12-2002, 03:00 PM
Heeheehee! 'Kishi snapped!

Half-breed Raiku
03-31-2003, 10:00 PM
I voted ff8 because they were all sort of cool in a certian
way like Eden & Cerberus!

Half-breed Raiku
03-31-2003, 10:02 PM
just to tell ya i'm new

the blitzer
04-19-2003, 05:58 PM
FF10s ARE THE BEST BECUSE THEY ARE LIKE NORMAL PARTY MEMBERS. THEIR OVERDRIVES ARE SO COOL.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-19-2003, 06:44 PM
Let dead threads rest in peace.