PDA

View Full Version : The End of FF????

TogiB
11-28-2003, 02:28 PM
I'm scared. i just saw a rumor that FF XIII will be there last FF, if that one is even finished. someone please tell me it isn't true!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

FinalFantasy_89
11-28-2003, 03:44 PM
Yeah right...FFF...FINAL final fantasy.

Cz
11-28-2003, 04:15 PM
If that's anything more than a wild rumour, I'll beat myself over the head with a rusty pipe.

Silmaril
11-28-2003, 04:25 PM
Yeah, in the end Tidus can battle Squall for Ultimate Cute FF Character. :p :D

TheAbominatrix
11-29-2003, 12:31 AM
With the (somewhat) recent annoucement that SquareEnix is going to make the Final Fantasy series, Dragon Quest series, and Kingdom Hearts series, the three main focuses of it's company (I believe I read it at RPGamer.com), I highly doubt XII would be the last. These rumors come out all the time.

black orb
11-29-2003, 12:49 AM
>>> I think there is nothing to worry about..

final boss
11-29-2003, 02:08 AM
Please don't flame me, but I hope FFXII is the last FF. Why, you ask? Well, we have too many FFs in my opinion. We have FF I-XII, FFT and FFTA. We have FFX-2,
and FFCC. That's 16 FF games! Square sould quit making these game!:sleepy: :sleepy: :bored: :bored:

P.S. I do love the games.

DocFrance
11-29-2003, 07:03 AM
I agree, the series needs to end somewhere. Final Fantasy has just become so repetitive - aside from the story, it's the same old thing over and over again. They could come up with a new story AND a new form of gameplay, but many fans of the series would complain that it's not what they wanted in a Final Fantasy game.

This cow is dry; it's time to stop milking it.

Cz
11-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Ergo, Square should stop trying to make the series different. FFVIII was received poorly because it was so different from its' predecessors. In the case of Final Fantasy, a series with many traditions, change is not necessarily a good thing.

The games thrive on story and playability. If these are up to scratch, I couldn't give a trout about whether it's original or not.

As for there being too many games, look at the Mario series. There are loads of titles starring the fat little plumber, but they still appeal to gamers, and sell well. If anything, Mario is more repetitive than the FF games, and yet it still manages to interest us.

Sefie1999AD
11-29-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Black Mage 121
Ergo, Square should stop trying to make the series different. FFVIII was received poorly because it was so different from its' predecessors. In the case of Final Fantasy, a series with many traditions, change is not necessarily a good thing.

The games thrive on story and playability. If these are up to scratch, I couldn't give a trout about whether it's original or not.

As for there being too many games, look at the Mario series. There are loads of titles starring the fat little plumber, but they still appeal to gamers, and sell well. If anything, Mario is more repetitive than the FF games, and yet it still manages to interest us.

Well, I think people just complain about everything. With FF8, they complained how it was too different. With FF9, they complained how it brought nothing innovative for the series, and many people dislike it because it's not so much different from other (especially older) games of the series. I guess some people just aren't satisfied with anything.

However, I agree that the series should end some day. "Everything that has a beginning has an end." - Matrix Revolutions. Square shouldn't keep the FF series going if that time comes when they just make clones of their games with enhanced graphics and new character names. Some series are like that, and it's not even fun (*cough* Tomb Raider *cough* EA Sport's games *cough*).

Spatvark
11-29-2003, 11:25 AM
To be fair, FF is Square's money maker, so they try to make that something the fans are guaranteed to enjoy and cough out the dough for, but they make their other games so that they can do different things with their games. In essence, it's all about keeping Square afloat really. Final Fantasy made Square and keeps it alive, as long as it's making them money, they won't stop making the games.

Silmaril
11-29-2003, 01:06 PM
i agree with Spatvark

TogiB
11-29-2003, 08:23 PM
These games HAVE to go on forever. They Can't stop. and they will not get repetitive. XII is gonna be great, and i am hoping for XIII to be even better. If there is a XIII. Maybe they will just change the name?

DJZen
11-29-2003, 09:39 PM
Mario games are repetative? Play SMB1, now play SMB2. Can't you punch and do crazy wall jumping stunts in M64? That's not quite how I interpret repetative...

Final Fantasy games are pretty similar, but they throw up the formula with every game. In FF1 you have the basic job system. You choose your job at the beginning and that's it, aside from the "upgrade". In FF2 there were no jobs. Everyone had the same abilities as everyone else and only differed in how you trained the characters. In 3, the job system returned, only you could change jobs at any time, and in fact you had to because you were getting new ones every so often. In 4, you had not only a fixed job system and the active time battle system, but 5 character parties. Then in 5 the job system from3 returned, only with the option of retaining abilities from other jobs as you learned new ones. In 6, the fixed job system returned, only you could add new abilities with relics, and you could swap out characters at will, as well as limit breaks. In 7, they reduced the number of characters to 3 and let you invent your own job with the materia system. In 8, they gave us drawing and junctioning, which was just insane, but I liked it personally. I never played 9 or 10, so I don't really know what system they used, but I've heard 10 used a radically different play system, and I know 9 used the fixed job system and gave you abilities through your equipment.

It's true, FF is Square's baby. It'd be like Nintendo saying "no more Mario". It's just not gonna happen.