PDA

View Full Version : The Other Final Fantasys

Rase
12-01-2003, 04:08 AM
Most people forget about (or don't know about) the Final Fantasy games for the Gameboy between 1991-1995. The first is Final Fantasy Adventure. It is rather different then the other Final Fantasys because it plays more like the Zelda series. You travel through out the world and fight enelies Zelda-style, but have 5 different types of weapons, 8 different spells, and a level up system. This is also called the early version of The Legend of Mana. The second game is a series called Final Fantasy Legends. It is very dull and uninspired but is more faithful to the series. It plays like the early Final Fantasy games, but the battle system is like FF1. You can't see your characters when you fight though. Anyway, do you think these are real Final Fantasys or just cheap knock offs. Let me know what you think.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-01-2003, 06:49 AM
They're not real Final Fantasys, but they're not "cheap knock offs," either. They're actually parts of completely different series that were saddled with the Final Fantasy name in America because, at the time, Square didn't think its games would sell without the name recognition value of FF.

Final Fantasy Adventure is actually Seiken Densetsu, the first installment in what has become a series of four games (plus one remake). Final Fantasy Legend I-III are actually SaGa 1-3, the opening trio in another series that has spanned nine games so far.

DJZen
12-14-2003, 06:41 AM
Seiken Densetsu (which I've heard translates to "Saint Sword Legend") A.K.A. Final Fantasy Adventure is NOT the early version of Legend of Mana. Legend of Mana is the english title for Seiken Densetsu 4, a later game in the series, not a later version. You're probably thinking of the upcoming (or has it been released yet? I never pay attention anymore) Sword of Mana, which is sort of a remake of Seiken Densetsu. It's different enough to be like a whole new game, from what I hear, but I don't know for sure. I didn't play the original a whole lot. The collision detection was all like "hahaha, you thought you hit that thing, didn't you?"

Edgar
12-14-2003, 03:04 PM
They are all not FFs. Heck, they don't carry much of the FF tradition anyway.

crono_logical
12-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by DJzen
Seiken Densetsu (which I've heard translates to "Saint Sword Legend") A.K.A. Final Fantasy Adventure is NOT the early version of Legend of Mana. Who said that? O_o

Anyway, yeah, FFA is Seiken Densetsu, and the remake of this game on the GBA is Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu, which has been out for quite a while now, and I think plays much more nicely than Legend of Mana on the PSX :p

DJZen
12-15-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Guu
Who said that? O_o

Dark Paladin Cecil did...

Originally posted by Dark_Paladin_Cecil
The first is Final Fantasy Adventure. It is... also called the early version of The Legend of Mana.

Danger
12-15-2003, 05:57 AM
I guess I'm the only guy to vote yes.... I guess I feel that if it carries the name its part of the series. I did start with FF mystic quest, which is considered one of the "other FF games".

I never knew the FFL games were another series, I suggest everyone try out FFL3 at least for a bit. This one has a decent story and plays about the same as the FF series. I suggest you listen to some other music while playing though, the old school gameboy games aren't noted for their awesome graphics and sound.

Is FFT considered a "other FF game" too? Because that game is about on par with FFA for straying the most from the usual FF battle system.

DocFrance
12-15-2003, 06:03 AM
The first is Final Fantasy Adventure. It is... also called the early version of The Legend of Mana.

Final Fantasy Adventure, Secret of Mana, Sword of Mana (never released outside Japan), and Legend of Mana are called Seiken Densetsu 1-4 in Japan. Fact.

Besides, there are other FF spinoffs out there. Tactics, Tactics Advance, and Crystal Chronicles come to mind.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-15-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by DocFrance
Final Fantasy Adventure, Secret of Mana, Sword of Mana (never released outside Japan), and Legend of Mana are called Seiken Densetsu 1-4 in Japan. Fact.Fiction. Here's the real deal:
Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden* --> Final Fantasy Adventure
Seiken Densetsu 2 --> Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3
Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana** --> Legend of Mana
Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu --> Sword of Mana
* - Although the title screen simply reads "Seiken Densetsu," this is recognized as the full title.
** - NOT "Seiken Densetsu 4."

Edgar
12-15-2003, 06:13 AM
Uh, but Tactics uses more or less the job class system the other FFs implemented (like FFV). i'm not really sure now, I know that FFTactics is made my another company and produced by Squaresoft.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-15-2003, 06:17 AM
The Tactics series is by no means on the same level as the Seiken Densetsu series. While the latter dropped its connection to Final Fantasy after its first game and went on to become a series in its own right, the former--not to mention Crystal Chronicles--remains closely tied.