PDA

View Full Version : KEFKA IS THE GREATEST VILLAIN EVER

Daydrius
12-02-2003, 04:53 AM
The insanity, the laugh, his personallity, his actions, good times...
Edit: He was a great villain, altough I believe I am a fanatic, he is still the greatest EVER. He killed off everyone in Cyan's castle, heartless, he kikcked emperror Gestahl off of the cliff, he destroyed the world, and took it over. He was pure evil... NOW WORSHIP

CloudDragon
12-04-2003, 05:01 AM
Kefka is a true villain, and I'll give you that. A pure breed psycho, although its said that something "snapped in his brain" and that is the reason he is the way he is.

Not my favorite villain, as I like some with a bit more story behind them, but still a good one.

Stayin Dizzy
12-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Also not my fav villian, but yes he was a pure madman. Woosley ruined some of his text, but the good translated versions show his evil...plus if you get a hacked rom to double his hp and make it a good fight

Daedra
12-04-2003, 05:40 PM
He is a pure madman, but I think he lacks Sephiroth's or Kuja's charisma. So not the greatest villain for me, but still one of the best.

Flying Mullet
12-04-2003, 05:43 PM
He's a crazy nut that does whatever he wants for no reason. I liked that. Afterwards they had to build up the main antagonist with all of this background psychological babble as to why they were doing what they wanted. And that's why kefka shined above the rest to me. He went nuts and did whatever he wanted for no reason. He could kill 20 children in a heartbeat and then take their friends out for ice cream to apologize, and then kill those kids too just because he wanted to.

i90east
12-04-2003, 06:37 PM
Yeah, you don't get a funny villan in an FF game very often, and Kefka filled that role perfectly.

plus if you get a hacked rom to double his hp and make it a good fight

That's impossible. Kefka's HP is almost at the game's maximum limit. The only way to make Kefka hard is to edit his battle script so that he attacks more, uses more powerful attacks and heals himself often.

Outsider
12-04-2003, 08:41 PM
I think that Kefka is the best villain ever...

He is not supposed to be charismatic, he is sopposed to be insane... And hiss clowny insanity was amazing. And what about his sadistic-sarcastic lines?

I guess that what makes me think that Kefka was so great is the fact that he's unique, there's no other like him... And he's there in the game, showing his insanity since act 1.

And he, unlike most villains, wasn't all powerful since the beggining... he surprised me when I first played through the game, and that was good.

Daydrius
12-05-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Daedin
He is a pure madman, but I think he lacks Sephiroth's or Kuja's charisma. So not the greatest villain for me, but still one of the best.

I agree with Outsider

Who needs charisma, IMO, they were both pretty boys, and Kuja wasn't really a villain. They were both good, but you really want a villain that you can hate, for what he did to everyone, and love, for his greatness, at the same time...Kefka did that for me, also, he was insane and hilarious, you don't get that too often.

Although Sephiroth did that for me, there was still something missing, maybe it was because he lacked all of the extremeness that is Kefka.

You really wouldn't expect a guy like him to be the main villain

ForeverZeroUltima
12-05-2003, 12:47 AM
true, true...

i love the way he talks in my FFVI game...unedited by the Americans, that is...

American edited version: "Emperor Gestahl's orders! These recon jobs are the pits!"

My unedited but translated version: "Emperor Gastra's damn orders! These recon jobs are bitches!"

by the way, i90east, what's that little patch thing in your signature for?

i90east
12-05-2003, 05:01 AM
by the way, i90east, what's that little patch thing in your signature for?

An IPS patch let's you add the expert version changes to your existing FFVI rom. The other option is to download the full rom.

Daydrius
12-06-2003, 10:32 PM
That sems like it would some serious fun, hope you made Kefka a LOT harder...he deserves it

Daedra
12-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Basically all final bosses deserve being strengthened.

Daydrius
12-06-2003, 10:39 PM
But Kefka deserves it the most

MrFrost
02-17-2004, 04:50 PM
i think he is the greatest villain aswell. he was the only villain that you can truely hate not only that ff6 is one of the few games that does that. the problem with Sephiroth was you can like him and that dont make for a very good villian though i must admin he was still very cool.

Evil Looking Teddy
03-02-2004, 07:45 PM
I liked Kefka a lot. I thought Seifer had a lot of potential as a villain but it really wasn't taken as far as it could've been, he kinda reminded me of 006 in the Bond movie 'Goldeneye', hah.

Lord Chainsaw
03-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by i90east
That's impossible. Kefka's HP is almost at the game's maximum limit. The only way to make Kefka hard is to edit his battle script so that he attacks more, uses more powerful attacks and heals himself often.

It can't be that impossible. I'll admit I don't know much about programming, but I do know the number cap is 65535.

FFIV surpassed this cap by flagging Zeromus with a full recovery after 65535 damage had been done, giving him a possible 120,000 HP. Can't you do the same?

Del Murder
03-03-2004, 02:16 AM
I always thought he was the best villian of the series. Kuja is good, but looks too much like a girl for me to take him seriously. Now a dereanged clown, THAT'S scary!

Edgar
03-03-2004, 11:15 AM
What?! Kuja's a guy? :P

Kefka's is voted my favorite villian of all time, closely followed by Luca Blight of Suikoden 2.

The Man
03-04-2004, 03:12 AM
Kefka is not the best villain ever. Luca Blight is. Take Kefka, make him somehow more sadistic, and give him a hallows humour and you have the main villain of Suikoden II, who would chop all other villains to pieces. Kefka would be a somewhat close second, though.

Lost Heretic
03-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by i90east
That's impossible. Kefka's HP is almost at the game's maximum limit.

Impossible? you obviously don't program. You just need to change the a few lines of code and you're done.

The Man
03-09-2004, 11:44 PM
Without the source code to the game, I'd say that is impossible.

GenjiLeisureSuit
03-24-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Outsider

And he, unlike most villains, wasn't all powerful since the beggining... he surprised me when I first played through the game, and that was good.

I really like that. For the first quarter of the game you thought Gesthal was the villian, and then Kefka just TOTALLY snuck up on you. That's interesting.

gnu factory choice
03-25-2004, 05:31 AM
kefka was a great villian but nothing compared to sephiroth or kuja. you all have already stated my reasons so i won't bother.

Edgar
03-26-2004, 05:51 AM
Kefka's sudden change in role is in the Floating Continent. It surprised me partially that Kefka has ulterior motive but thinking logically as a pure madman like Kefka, it doesn't really come as much as a shock.

aeris2001x2
03-30-2004, 03:39 PM
i,m so bias but sephiroth pips him just. like i said in another topic, sephiroths more human, more tragic and thats why i prefer him.

however, no ff villan was pure evil, not even kefka. but i would say he was the most evil and the most disturbed. his ability to switch between clown fool to insane merciless psychopath in the blink of an eye is genius. why dont villans come in ff games as good as kefka and sephiroth anymore?

aeris2001x2
03-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by GenjiLeisureSuit
I really like that. For the first quarter of the game you thought Gesthal was the villian, and then Kefka just TOTALLY snuck up on you. That's interesting.

actually ff7 did that too for a while. so did ff8...though very crap. in fact almost every ff starts with the empire as the enemy, and then it changes to some manipulator behind the scenes.

ff 1 and ff2 didnt as far as i know. ff x was very clever in at first its sin and is throughtout but ...then al bhed, then seymour, then yevon and beville, then yunalesca, then jecht and then yu yevon.

i always knew kefka would be the villan from ff7-9 experience. but if ff6 had been my first, yes he really would have snuck up.

Flying Mullet
03-30-2004, 03:53 PM
http://www.geocities.com/chadmonkey/edit.jpg

aeris2001x2
03-30-2004, 04:23 PM
i dont know what u mean mr mimic. if i was to edit a post the post would become huge which i hate doing. plus i,m starting a new theme. therefore it is heralded by a new post. you really need to lighten up and look out for real spamers. your like those cops who catch ppl doing 31 miles in a 30 hour zone.

lol i jest. i see your point but sometimes i just geniunly forget.

Del Murder
03-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Mimic, leave the moderating to us, thank you.

aeris2001x2, we don't allow double posting here because it is annoying and looks messy. Please use edit/delete in the future.

Marble
03-30-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by The Man
Kefka is not the best villain ever. Luca Blight is. Take Kefka, make him somehow more sadistic, and give him a hallows humour and you have the main villain of Suikoden II, who would chop all other villains to pieces. Kefka would be a somewhat close second, though.

I see even you have converted now. xD

The Man
03-31-2004, 03:02 AM
Yep.

One other thing that deserves to be mentioned is that Kefka isn't an inherently evil being. Sure, he apparently lacks any capacity for moral judgment (or just doesn't care), but he wasn't like that before he got the faulty Magitek infusion Gestahl had him receive. It could be argued that the blame for all the events of FFVI can be placed squarely on the shoulders of Gestahl, since the hunting of the Espers wouldn't have happened without him and Kefka wouldn't have turned into what he turned into if Gestahl hadn't wanted to build a world-conquering empire.

Luca Blight has issues with his father, but he has no excuse such as insanity to explain away his apparent lack of moral judgment (at least that I'm aware of). He's just evil, through and through.

Del Murder
03-31-2004, 03:23 AM
Kefka was good at some point? I don't remember that part.

Kirobaito
03-31-2004, 05:13 AM
It's never stated, I don't think. It's just assumed.

Flying Mullet
03-31-2004, 01:47 PM
Yes, Kefka started off as a fifth grade math teacher until he got addicted to the hootch, then ended up drunk in some alleyway in Vector where the Emporer found him and started experimenting on him.

The Man
03-31-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Del Murder
Kefka was good at some point? I don't remember that part. It's explicitly stated in the café in Vector that Kefka went insane when he had the Magitek infusion, and it follows from that that he was relatively normal before that. Most people miss this, however, since you have to sneak past a lot of soldiers to find it, and I believe you can only get that particular information during your first trip to Vector.

ForeverZeroUltima
04-01-2004, 01:55 AM
the part where kefka was good....let's see....

i believe it was at the begiinning. when terra has a flashback and after kefka put the crown on her, it shows Gestahl making a speech to the crowd of soldiers. Celes, Terra, Leo, and Kefka are standing behind him. i believe Kefka was "good" at that part because he didn't yell out some heathen comment, but instead stayed quiet. XD

Del Murder
04-01-2004, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the info, Manner. I'll check that out next time I play the game.

Marble
04-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Manner? xD

Sephex
04-01-2004, 04:18 PM
He's not my favorite villian, but he is entertaining a lot of times throughout the game. I would go on to put some quotes, but some of you have done that already. :)

Clyde Arronway
04-14-2004, 04:01 AM
Oh he's a wonderous villain. Some of you must have noticed by now that about half the world population are less than thrilled by woosley's translations, but he did a wonderous thing to FFVI in Kefka. He's really just a swearing grump in japan, but he's totally psycho over here

DocFrance
04-14-2004, 04:44 AM
I agree. What could be better than "son of a submariner?" That's the mark of insanity if I've ever seen it.

TasteyPies
04-14-2004, 04:56 PM
AH! someone deeted my post here too! whats going on!?

Well here is my fav quote from him

The Man
04-15-2004, 11:58 PM
What could be better than "son of a submariner?"
"You can round up a million maggots to try to defeat me, but they'll still all be maggots!"

Clyde Arronway
04-16-2004, 12:14 AM
Who said that? It's in no VI I've ever seen, Japaneese translation or wooslyisms

The Man
04-16-2004, 02:06 AM
That's because it's not in FFVI. It's a quote from Luca Blight, the main antagonist of Suikoden II, and quite possibly the greatest RPG villain ever created.

Clyde Arronway
04-16-2004, 10:01 PM
I mean not to offend you, but what has it to do with VI?

The Man
04-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Doc asked what could be better than "Son of a Submariner," and I answered him. This thread is making the contention that Kefka is the greatest villain ever; I am making the contention that Luca Blight is the greatest villain ever. It's perfectly on-topic.

Clyde Arronway
04-16-2004, 10:12 PM
But a story needs more than just evil. No good story on earth consists of just good and evil. People need foils (technical term for people of opposite charector) The antagonist in VI shows how strong the charectors of the lead people are.

The Man
04-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Does this thread even ask anything about how strong the protagonists of the games are? No, it doesn't. It talks about the villains.

I could argue that Suikoden II has all-around better main characters than FFVI as well, but that's an argument I really don't care to get into because it's a bit more tenuous.

aeris2001x2
04-16-2004, 11:11 PM
of course we all know ff8's characters kick ass. i mean rinoas development! and what could be better then ultimecias "curze all seeds!", stunning...i mean kefka or luca blight really dont hold a candle to "make then bleed". in case i wasnt unsubtle enough i was being sarcastic.

its so hard to work out whos best but i,m sure you can work out who was the worst villan supported by awful protaginists.

The Man
04-17-2004, 02:38 AM
I always thought it was "Kurse the SeeDs," but I wouldn't know for sure because I've never played FF8. ;)

Clyde Arronway
04-17-2004, 05:22 AM
The protagonists are important because they make the villain as the villain makes the protagonists. If one wants to argue hardest boss to beat, talk about somthing like emerald weapon from VII. There's a difference between strength and charector

Del Murder
04-17-2004, 06:50 AM
Evil doesn't exist without good and vice versa. :)

The Man
04-17-2004, 07:18 AM
Evil doesn't exist without good and vice versa. :)
Of course not. I'm not disputing that fact.

[q=Clyde Arronway]
The protagonists are important because they make the villain as the villain makes the protagonists. If one wants to argue hardest boss to beat, talk about somthing like emerald weapon from VII. There's a difference between strength and charector]I'm not arguing hardest boss to beat. I'm arguing all around best villain. Luca Blight has many, if not all, of the traits that also make Kefka a great antagonist - he's incredibly cruel, he has more than a slight sense of humour, he remains one step ahead of the party for the entire game, he even ends up killing off his superior. When it comes down to the end of the line, though, you expect the fight against a villain to be fairly challenging. Kefka's wasn't. Luca's was. (Another important point that has to go in Luca's favour is that he has a tangible reason for acting the way he does - He was brought up to believe that his father was one of the most honourable men on the face of the planet, then witnessed, on a caravan with his family, guards slaughtered with reckless abandon by attacking mercenaries; his father ran away, leaving him and his mother to be subjected to what niceties the mercenaries wished, including raping Luca's mother repeatedly in front of him; after that point, he held a general loathing for all mankind - while Kefka's sole reason for being evil is that he went insane because of a faulty Magitek infusion. While that's certainly not an implausible reason for insanity in Kefka's case, it's not something many people would be able to relate to, like Luca's hatred of his father).

I don't even consider characters like Emerald Weapon to be villains. They just sit there. Hell, they don't attack anyone unless they approach on their personal space.

What you're trying to say is that a villain's characterisation would be less effective if there weren't protagonists to counteract him? I'm not sure that I agree with that. Sure, it would degrade the overall value of the game (not that it's relevant in Suikoden II's case, since it does have a fantastic cast of heroes as well), but I think it would be perfectly possible for a game to have a fantastic villain and a terrible set of heroes. Hell, one could almost argue that Chrono Cross is exactly such a game (and if not for Kid and Harle, it practically would be)

Magil
04-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Sigh....
The best line they never put in the game:
"Im Not insane!!!
Im magically infused!!!!"
damnit.... they shouldve...

Kefka truly is the most genius villan ive ever known to any rpg...
I even dressed up as him once...
oh the humanity...
everyone thought i was a drunken clown....
Then again kefka is to :D