PDA

View Full Version : Fake titles

Citizen Bleys
12-04-2003, 04:37 PM
In the beginning, there was WesLY, and the staff decided not to re-mod him every time he came back from being active, so Britt added "Cid's Knight<br> to the top of his custom title as a joke.

Then, people started making "Banned" their custom title as a joke. This stopped being funny after approximately the sixteen thousandth time. So we decided to make the "Banned" text appear in pink so that it couldn't be faked.

Now I'm looking around and seeing PG as an Administrator (which he's not, according to showgroups, but it's irritating that I had to check showgroups to see if it was real), and Linus, Pr00t, and bennator0 all have faked Banned titles; the fake Administrator <i>and</i> Banned titles are all colored, so now instead of discouraging members from using confusing titles, we know that the staff are actively helping them.

I believe this is what is known as "Running a joke into the ground," and frankly, it's starting to irritate the crap out of me. There are more people running around with fake Banned/Cid's Knight/Administrator titles than there are people who are legitimately entitled to them.

Am I alone here?

Shoyku
12-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
Am I alone here? Nay.

eternalshiva
12-04-2003, 04:50 PM
Nope, I find that irritating too ;p and confusing actually, now I'm never sure who's what.

Flying Mullet
12-04-2003, 04:50 PM
I don't mind bennator0's fake banned title as he was the only one to sport it for a while, and it was a funny result of the ban-spree that went on a few months back. The rest do get a little confusing though.

Daedra
12-04-2003, 04:51 PM
I'm new here, so I did not go through the events you described.
But on the principle, I agree that fake titles should be punished :D Enough confusing poor board users !

crono_logical
12-04-2003, 04:53 PM
Don't look at me, I haven't touched anyone's custom titles (other than my own) since I gave a few coloured ones a few months ago :p

Daedra
12-04-2003, 04:56 PM
I must be drunk, I'm seeing two images under crono's name :p

crono_logical
12-04-2003, 04:58 PM
You know alcohol screws with the brain, best to avoid it altogether :D

Daedra
12-04-2003, 05:01 PM
That's what I'm starting to realize :D

eternalshiva
12-04-2003, 05:08 PM
yeah, crono gets special double av power cause he's the resident computer god >.<

Del Murder
12-04-2003, 05:34 PM
Is mine fake too? :cry:

Loony BoB
12-04-2003, 05:35 PM
I never minded bennator0's banned one, but I didn't know anyone had 'Administrator' under their title. If it's bugging oldbies who don't have any fancy title, people who have earned their titles and also newbies such as Daedin here, I suppose it should probably stop. Particularly if it's giving them recognition for something they don't deserve rather than jokingly saying they've been banned. =P

I never liked the coloured custom titles anyway. :p

Rainecloud
12-04-2003, 06:23 PM
You're not alone, Bleys. I do think people have gone a little over the top when it comes to changing people's custom titles. Like you said, it was amusing the first few times (Eg: Bennator's fake 'Banned' title), but it's becoming a little irritating, now.

It must be confusing for all the new and less experienced members, too. Pee Gee's 'Administrator' title looks totally real, and I even had to check the show groups page just to make sure he wasn't.

I'm not trying to be a scrooge, here, but all these titles are really confusing me. :(

blue_midget192
12-04-2003, 06:55 PM
for the people who put "banned"; ban them. for the people who put "administraitor" make them an administraitor....or ban them one of those any way

Agent Proto
12-04-2003, 06:58 PM
So far, I only notice that bennator0, Linus (I think, except his was an avatar), and I have the fake Banned title and Pee Gee has that fake Administrator. That's like only 3 or 4 members out of everyone.

Linus
12-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Heh, sorry, mine was just an avatar.

crono_logical
12-04-2003, 07:38 PM
Actually, thinking about it, the fake admin one shouldn't be on, because it implies that person has such authority when they don't, and will be confusing to newer members that might need to PM an admin about something but they end up PMing someone that isn't becaue they got mixed up by the fake rank. Plus a fake admin rank can be abused to a certain extent, unlike with a fake banned one. A fake banned is different because being banned implies you have less rather than more responsibility etc. :p

EDIT: I think Roogle's SSS rank is a fake one since he wanted the rank in addition to the admin one but there was no point making a seperate user group solely for him, but since he really is SSS anyway, that's fine :p

eestlinc
12-04-2003, 08:09 PM
why don't we just give everyone a fancy title so we can all be happy?

m4tt
12-04-2003, 08:22 PM
I don't like the fake admin titles. bennator0's banned thing never bugged me though.

People go to admins for advice. If someone went to PG thinking he was an admin, all they'd get was random gibberish and talk of pie.

Erdrick Holmes
12-04-2003, 08:30 PM
You mean Linus was never banned? Dammit!!

Shoyku
12-04-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by m4tt
People go to admins for advice. If someone went to PG thinking he was an admin, all they'd get was random gibberish and talk of pie. And SARS, no doubt.

Linus
12-04-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Joel
You mean Linus was never banned? Dammit!!

Good job.

Dr Unne
12-04-2003, 08:58 PM
All non-standard titles are annoying, yes. (Except Spuuky's.) To be honest, crono_logical's table-stretching double stuff is the most annoying to me, but it's not anything I can't live with.

crono_logical
12-04-2003, 09:15 PM
Doesn't stretch it any more than if I had a full height signature when I do a short post, otherwise it doesn't stretch anything for a long post :p Just imagine I have a 250 pixel high spacer or something in my sig :D

bennator
12-04-2003, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I don't mind being banned (wasn't it for calling Bleys, "Bley's")? It doesn't really bug me that other people are "banned" or "administrators," because most of the time I know they're not.

Yamaneko
12-04-2003, 09:51 PM
It's their avatar. You'd have to restrict those kind of avatars. I really don't care. I know who's who.

Shlup
12-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Oh, fine, poop on my fun. I was going to take it off today anyway. :p

Peegee
12-04-2003, 10:41 PM
In the spirit of being fair, I demand that all fake titles be removed, or I will have my "admin powers" reinstated.

It's only fair. Unless you can find a logical/rational reason why certain members just suddenly won't irritate you like I apparently did (God forbid I actually allow myself to be anything other than a regular member), I find it somewhat discriminating that people like bennator0 and proot get to be "banned" while I can't have a simple "administrator" custom title.

*nod*

eternalshiva
12-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Pee Gee should get "Official nOOb sex0r" as a title >.<

Citizen Bleys
12-04-2003, 11:25 PM
I don't mind if PG has the Administrator title--As long as you make him a member of the Administrators group in the control panel.

It's mostly the Banned titles that bother me, because they got old a long, long time ago.

Del Murder
12-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Aren't you pretty old yourself?

Raistlin
12-05-2003, 01:26 AM
Bleys: I was never re-modded, as you well know, you bastard.

And mine's probably the most obvious "fake" title. It's not even a fake title. I...don't know what it is. O_o

Oh, and I agree, the fake banned titles are getting annoying. Fake titles in general suck, but especially the banned ones.

Killy
12-05-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by crono_logical
Doesn't stretch it any more than if I had a full height signature when I do a short post, otherwise it doesn't stretch anything for a long post :p Just imagine I have a 250 pixel high spacer or something in my sig :D

But Unne disabled signatures a long time ago, so thats why it stretches the tables for him. Anyway, fake banned titles dont bother me, but that fake Administrator thing might be more of a problem, since it looks so real.

Yamaneko
12-05-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Raistlin
And mine's probably the most obvious "fake" title.

Fake titles in general suck...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-05-2003, 01:43 AM
Raist's is sacred--really the only sacred thing about the chump, so let the poor guy keep it.

I was the first to have a fake Banned rank, and yes, it was hilarious at the time. Pretty sure I won some kind of contest with it. Then I stopped using it, and some time later, edczxcvbnm used it. I think he won an award for it, too. I don't think anyone else has gotten an award for it since then, though, so we can clearly determine the exact point at which it stopped being funny.

<font size="1">Trivia: Bossker was fake-Banned at one point, too, and Bleys freaked out about it, thinking it was serious. He's completely correct about it being a tired concept now and everything, but he's probably still bitter about that, too.</font>

Raistlin
12-05-2003, 01:48 AM
Yams: look at the quotes, numbnuts. As I also pointed out in that post, which you also failed to take note of, my "Cid's Knight" title isn't really a fake title, as it isn't meant to imitate. In fact, it's way off(haha, I have had one or two people tell me to get the color "fixed" before).

EDIT:

In the beginning, there was WesLY, and the staff decided not to re-mod him every time he came back from being active
I came back from being active, eh?

HOOTERS
12-05-2003, 02:45 AM
Ok, how about we get rid of everything here that stopped being funny ages ago.

Bye Bleys!

Garland
12-05-2003, 03:13 AM
I personally don't care all that much either way. Banned, Administrator, Cid's Knight, it doesn't matter. Make everyone a custom title if you want, or get rid of them. I just come here to post. While I agree a joke is only funny once or two times, and only original once, I don't think it's anything to make an issue of. After all, if we started cracking down on bad jokes, EoFF would be a ghost town in a day or two, and those Banned titles would be real.

Linus
12-05-2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by HOOTERS

Bye EoFF!

Shlup
12-05-2003, 04:50 AM

Bye Bleys! That was so cold. xD

And shut up, Linus, before I stab you in the eye.

Yamaneko
12-05-2003, 05:04 AM
Raist: I was playing around with your post. :(

Citizen Bleys
12-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ry�kishi
<font size="1">Trivia: Bossker was fake-Banned at one point, too, and Bleys freaked out about it, thinking it was serious. He's completely correct about it being a tired concept now and everything, but he's probably still bitter about that, too.</font>

I actually don't remember that at all.

blue_midget192
12-05-2003, 03:59 PM
this is getting stupid, its just a way of expressing individuallity, i dont know how many of you people are still at school but mine is getting like this; they'v got uniforms-blck-so every one loooks the same, at one point they even got people wering just white or black socks!! sock colour come on. also the head of my year tried to ban kissing!!!!!!!! come oon can't we just drop this?

eternalshiva
12-05-2003, 04:02 PM
why are you taking about uniforms? We're talking about confusing the dont-deserve-a-title to the deserve-a-title-cause-i'm-a-slave-to-the-site people ;p people can get confused easily and I thought PeeGee was an Admin until I saw it on this!

blue_midget192
12-05-2003, 04:08 PM
sorry but it all seams to be the same to me. the easiest way to PM an admin is to go to the member list anyway so you may as well just take out the titles.

Daedra
12-05-2003, 04:12 PM
I quite don't agree.

If you're browsing a specific thread and a question that should be asked an admin comes to your mind, you'll quickly go through the titles of the ones who participated in the debate, and ask an admin if there is one, real or not.

blue_midget192
12-05-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Daedin
I quite don't agree.

If you're browsing a specific thread and a question that should be asked an admin comes to your mind, you'll quickly go through the titles of the ones who participated in the debate, and ask an admin if there is one, real or not.

true i spose, dam i never do good in these kinda debates dam it. i'm leaving bye *waves*

Daedra
12-05-2003, 04:22 PM
true i spose, dam i never do good in these kinda debates dam it. i'm leaving bye *waves*

That's not a contest, so don't sweat it :p

edczxcvbnm
12-05-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
I was the first to have a fake Banned rank, and yes, it was hilarious at the time. Pretty sure I won some kind of contest with it. Then I stopped using it, and some time later, edczxcvbnm used it. I think he won an award for it, too. I don't think anyone else has gotten an award for it since then, though, so we can clearly determine the exact point at which it stopped being funny.

I used it...and even though you used it I was still able to trick people...then again I was on the verge of being banned like every frickin' week back then :D...good times

Citizen Bleys
12-05-2003, 05:01 PM
Yeah, now it's my turn to be the one who's on the verge of being banned all of the time.

*dashes off to post swear words in EoEo*

edczxcvbnm
12-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
Yeah, now it's my turn to be the one who's on the verge of being banned all of the time.

I am still on the verge of being banned :D I got ANOTHER final warning about it like a month ago. You gotta cool it down for a few months then slowly reintroduce it and the cycle continues. You can completely tell I have been through this process one too many times :erm:

Shlup
12-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by edczxcvbnm
You can completely tell I have been through this process one too many times :erm: I can completely tell that, yes. :p

So, fine, no more fake titles. Oldbies don't think its funny anymore, and the people who missed all those old jokes can just deal with it. :p

Yamaneko
12-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Yeah, oldbies are the only ones who matter.

eestlinc
12-06-2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Kizna Towryk

aren't you the one who <i>created</i> the EoEo policy? I love you. mother:skull::skull::skull::skull:er :D

Peegee
12-06-2003, 06:29 AM
It's just a fake admin title....sheesh. Whatever ;_;

I should get somebody to sign up as "eest|inc" and copy everything "he" has, avatar and otherwise. There's no lawa against that. Then you'll all have a fit saying it makes it confusing to dyslexic members or something.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

eestlinc
12-06-2003, 06:49 AM
"she"

Citizen Bleys
12-06-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by eestlinc
aren't you the one who <i>created</i> the EoEo policy? I love you. mother:skull::skull::skull::skull:er :D

I think I may have made the suggestion about temporarily removing EoEo-abusers (can't recall), but the policy itself was built by the entire staff.

Raistlin
12-06-2003, 11:09 PM

Bye Bleys!
I love you, Hooters. *dies laughing*

Originally posted by Yamaneko
Raist: I was playing around with your post. :(
I told you no playing around after bedtime! :aimmad:

black orb
12-08-2003, 01:05 AM
>>> I thought that all the "banned" titles were a joke, even the pink ones, because I see them everywhere...

eternalshiva
12-08-2003, 01:10 AM
Some were but it was getting confusing to decipher who was and wasn't. Especially the fake admin titles and such. meh. it's been takes care of anyhoot.

Shlup
12-08-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by wussybehemoth
Especially the fake admin titles and such. meh. it's been takes care of anyhoot. There was one fake admin title for a couple of hours. I doubt anyone really suffered because of it. :p

eternalshiva
12-08-2003, 10:20 AM
xD

Loony BoB
12-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Three people were found to have committed suicide a few nights ago after suffering from extreme trauma. The reason for their sudden distress is currently unknown, but all signs seem to point to a 'Pee Gee' being made administrator. Friends and family of the once regular posting members of an online gaming community, Eyes on Final Fantasy, are being comforted by the local authorities.

Peegee
12-08-2003, 04:35 PM
The idea of me being admin is seriously scary. Even I concede to this Truth.

btw eest is female?!?!

eternalshiva
12-08-2003, 04:39 PM
xD

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-08-2003, 08:07 PM
Duh.

eestlinc
12-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Dr Unne wouldn't marry no man!

Linus
12-08-2003, 08:20 PM