PDA

View Full Version : Did I just suck big time when I was a kid or what...?

Cid
12-05-2003, 11:52 AM
Okay, so I bought Orgins and I still have my old FF1 cartridge and it's playable and whatnot.

To me, in comparison, FFOrgins is INCREDIBLY easy. I'm breezing through ogres and whatnot, and I remember them giving me loads of trouble before.

I dunno, it seems like I'm hitting like 2x as strong as the cartridge and the enemies are hitting half as hard. What's the deal? I didn't pay for some breeze game. I payed for the classic hardship that is playing FF1!

Unne, you heard of this? Anyone? Can you toggle the difficulty somewhere?

DocFrance
12-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Doesn't it give you the choice between 'easy' and 'normal' when you start a new game?

Zifnab
12-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Yeah, that's right. I've been playing on easy and the monsters are pathetic in comparison to the NES ones. That's good for me, though. xD

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-05-2003, 08:17 PM
The Fiends (plus Warmech and Chaos) actually have double HP in Origins, and all enemies are able to use their most powerful attacks at any time, unlike in the NES version, which required them to go through a predetermined list of moves. The lack of "Ineffective" does make things easier, but you can turn it on in the Configuration menu.

Maybe you never equipped weapons and armor when you played back then--you know, assigning them the items but never thinking to make the "E-" appear. It's happened to the best of us.

Mr. Graves
12-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Play it on normal and then we'll see if you complain.

You see, it's even harder than the NES version. Give it a go.

Cid
12-05-2003, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I've been playing it on normal :(

I put in the old NES cartridge where I am only about 2 hours into the game with the same weapons and it just seems much harder. Maybe I'm just imagining it though.

I think when you beat Orgins, you unlock hard mode, right?

eestlinc
12-06-2003, 07:42 AM
You are just a lot better at these games now.

Zifnab
12-06-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Sean
Yeah, I've been playing it on normal :(

I put in the old NES cartridge where I am only about 2 hours into the game with the same weapons and it just seems much harder. Maybe I'm just imagining it though.

I think when you beat Orgins, you unlock hard mode, right?
Perhaps it's the speed? FFO battles are far quicker than that of those in the NES version, so maybe the battles are just seeming like less of a struggle.

Cz
12-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Sadly, Origins doesn't have a hard mode. It's a shame, really.

robfinalfantasy
12-06-2003, 11:13 PM
You're not the only one. I remember when I played FF1 6-7 years ago it was really hard. I recently bought Origins and immediately realized that it was easier. I enjoyed it very much however.

black orb
12-07-2003, 03:10 AM
>>> Maybe you are playing early stages in a high level, also in FFO the early stages like the marsh cave are a joke..
just wait until you reach to the ice cave or the final dungeon, the monsters will rip you apart..

Sefie1999AD
12-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Yeah, Ice Cave is certainly a lot harder in FF1 WSC or PSX. The enemies have a lot easier time ambushing you and slaughtering you with Fire3 and Bane attacks before you can even move. The Fiends and Chaos also have double HP, and this makes especially Chaos (4000 HP instead of 2000) really hard to beat with weaker parties, such as 4 White Mages/Wizards.

sentunim
02-18-2004, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
The Fiends (plus Warmech and Chaos) actually have double HP in Origins, and all enemies are able to use their most powerful attacks at any time, unlike in the NES version, which required them to go through a predetermined list of moves. The lack of "Ineffective" does make things easier, but you can turn it on in the Configuration menu.

Maybe you never equipped weapons and armor when you played back then--you know, assigning them the items but never thinking to make the "E-" appear. It's happened to the best of us.

Whoa man thats exactly what happened to me when I first played. I was about 5 or 6 though. maybe 7. heh.

SpikingZero
02-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Black Mage 121
Sadly, Origins doesn't have a hard mode. It's a shame, really.

They saved that sadism for the third Final Fantasy. Tough as nails, it is.

Del Murder
02-23-2004, 10:45 PM
I'm going to go with suck big time, since I feel the same way. Happened with games like Dragon Warrior and Zelda 2 as well.

Red Wizard
02-24-2004, 11:54 PM
I'm also on the suck big-time side of the fence here, as I've gone through and beaten a lot of older games I was never able to beat as a young un'.

unfie
03-30-2004, 05:32 AM
It's a matter of getting older.

On button mashers, you've got 5 (or 15 in my case :) ) years more experience..

In RPG's, you're probably a little more patient and a bit more planning.

I pulled out my FF1 cart about 3 years ago and gave it a run through to the earth cave.... and found it rather simple compared to years back.... and with the BB solo I'm doing now on Origins... it's about the same (easyish)(although faster fights are nice).

Oh, expanded equipment list makes Origins easier, as does the actual effectiveness of weapon-specific swords...

But ... I've been playing the game without the NP Strategy Guide like I used to ages ago... and I'm finding that I'm more reserved when entering a cave.. rather than making mad dashes to items and retreating. I have a pretty good memory of where things are generally, but it's nice to rediscover things .... and to have NONLINEAR caves (unlike modern FF's... which I hate).

Please do not double post. Use the edit/delete button below the post. - Murder

DJZen
03-31-2004, 05:07 AM
It's true, there's nothing quite like the first time you discover the hall of giants.... I wish something like that still existed in modern FF games.....

unfie
03-31-2004, 11:29 PM
heh

oh, I've started FF2 recently... and have a comment concerning your sig :)

Came across Gordon, was annoyed he was such low 'level'..

So I started to expand his stats... he's a fairly decent spell caster (I don't do the select/cancel trick stuff... so.... yea... slow going but.. meh).

His MP growth is pretty quick, and his high agility lets him get out spells pretty quick.

As for his physical attacks.... he's in the back row with two shields equipped :)

Rase
04-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Well, this happened to me in another game (FFIV) and it was the same way. I had finally got another SNES and copy of FFIV and was ready for some classic nastaligia to kick in. Just as I was thinking "I remember having trouble in the Waterfall Cave" I reliezed I was already in Mysdia. I was a bit dissapointed, but as soon as I got farther, the difficulty climbed and I was satisfied.

Christmas
04-27-2022, 11:57 AM
Gamers nowadays cannot take a challenge. If it is too hard, they will quit the game and post endlessly all over the internet about how bad it is and demand divine judgement on the game. :(