PDA

View Full Version : The offering is cheap and useless

Danger
12-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Everyone talks abut how the offering is all high and mighty. I think its a piece of junk at low levels (ie. below 40) and only becomes a big damage producer once your party is so uber, beating the game is a joke anyway.

Here's my proof for this:

Equip a character at level 30-35 with the gengi glove and the offering, giving them the Atma Weapon and Ilumina plus the best helm and armors you have (I think I was using Terra or Celes). The Atma does about 700-800 damage a turn (only if you have full HP) and the Illumina does a pityful 300-400 (no auto critical strike and very low chance of casting pearl). This totals a max of 4800 damage a turn (usually MUCH lower than that) because even with force armor and a 10% mblock hat you're looking 90% mblock (pretty good, but you'd surprised how many times you get hit) and super low def (that's for the Illumina users, any other sword/weapon will have a nice bit less mblock and therefore even more pityful stats).

Now take that same character and equip them with the hero ring and marvel shoes (or any other relics for that matter), Illumina, a good shield (I think I used Aegis, force or tortoise shield to split up the uber equipment, you know what I'm talking about (pally shield)), a 10% mblock helm and either minerva or force armor. This character had well over 100% mblock, basically making them unhittable. Now for offense: Illumina get's it's critical bonus and inflicks about 2500-3000 damage (that's 1800 less than the max damage for gengi glove-offering), however there is a much higher chance of getting pearl when only attacking with the one weapon. Pearl from Illumina does upwards of 6500 damage.

Also, (correct me if I'm wrong) I think desperation moves can only be pulled off by characters that are fighting using only one weapon and the fight command while in critical. Those moves give supper high damage potentials. And the hero ring and marvel shoes give higher magic damage, plus all the other bonuses from the shoes (haste, regen, safe, shell....).

Another variation (for the people who don't like to take advantage of the mblock bug) is just equip all gengi or other high defense armors on your charater giving them a super high defense, making them extremely though while sacrificing little in offensive strength. Or use a ribbon instead of marvel shoes to block any status aliments that may affect your charater (Zombie anyone?).

For other characters (ie ones that cannot use the atma weapon, illumina combo, the offering does not increase damage too much higher levels over their other special attacks. Some examples include, Blitz bum rush, Tools chain saw (Yes I know edgar can use the swords, but his tools kick enough ass that you can use those big weapons somwhere else), high level swordtech (basically a double damage offering), Throw ninja stars or more powerful items, Lore grandtrain (Strago's weapons suck too much to give him an offering anyways).

So what does this leave us with, Gau (useless), Umaro (does this work, I'll have to try), Relm (she's a magic user or useless like Strago: see above) and Mog (it could be useful if you got an extra aura lance, but Mog is used for Moogle charms and uber defense (255) with snowmufflers and high defense shield, and helm.

The character without the offering+gengi glove is much more effective than the one with the offering+gengi glove. The only exception I know to this rule is Super Setzer with the offering and fixed dice, as they are not effected by the damage so the more dice roles, the better. Locke with the offering + thief glove combo for four captures if you're into stealing.

Again this is at low levels, I know that once you've ubered yourself up the damage production on the thing starts to skyrocket, but there are better things to use to get more out of your characters. Let the flaming begin.

Doomgaze
12-07-2003, 06:56 AM
Illumina does around 300 damage at level 10 :p

MagicKnight Locke
12-07-2003, 06:12 PM
At lvl 40 Edgar did around 1000 damage with a falchion

ForeverZeroUltima
12-07-2003, 07:52 PM
i just gave the offering and genji glove to sabin with Tiger Fang and Dragon Claw as weapons. And he did much more damage than Ultima or BumRush did. I'm not trying to contradict what you said danger, but i just found it more useful when i gave to sabin.

does the hero ring exist, though?

and where do you get the illumina?

i90east
12-07-2003, 08:50 PM
Thanks for breaking it down for us Danger. It does make a lot of sense. I never liked that combo because it's so cheap. It seems like everyone does it and thinks they're so cool. They try using that against my assertion that Gau is the best character in the game. It never holds up because even if the Offering+Genji Glove combo does work good, you're talking about the last 10% of the game. What are you gonna do through the other 90% of the game? Put up with weak characters? I hope not for their sake.

It's a shame that the game is so easy that it let's people use characters with almost no defense and still win. In a better balanced game you'd be foolish to do without a sheild.

Outsider
12-07-2003, 09:11 PM
But you can only get the Offering in the end of the game, when it's very useful...

I don't like the Gengi Glove + Offering combo, though... FF6 is very easy without this one...

Flying Mullet
12-07-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by ForeverZeroUltima
does the hero ring exist, though?
The Hero Ring exists. You can find a few in the game, like in the crazy man's house in the WOB north of Kohlington before he builds the Coliseum and they are for sale at the auction house. I think you're thinking of the Paladin Ring, which doesn't exist.

i90east
12-07-2003, 09:41 PM
But you can only get the Offering in the end of the game, when it's very useful...

You can walk right through the underground cave with the Moogle Charm and get the Offering. You can get the Moogle Charm as soon as you get the airship (and Mog of course).

Outsider
12-07-2003, 09:45 PM
When I get the Falcon and the Moogle Charm I'm already around lvl 40, so I say it's useful... And it's near the end, too...

Strider
12-07-2003, 09:59 PM
That's when you give it to Setzer and let him run wild with some Fixed Dice.

Outsider
12-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Funny, I used to give it to Gau and let him run wild with some Fixed Dice...

Setzer was very good at magic, thanks to ZoneSeek, so I wouldn't give him the Offering

ForeverZeroUltima
12-08-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Flying Pixie Cut
The Hero Ring exists. You can find a few in the game, like in the crazy man's house in the WOB north of Kohlington before he builds the Coliseum and they are for sale at the auction house. I think you're thinking of the Paladin Ring, which doesn't exist.

Oh! I see...in my game it is called the Brave Ring. (the one that raises fight and magic damage)

but still, where do you get the Illumina Sword and does it have any special effects? (i have the version translated directly and not one bit edited, like the SNES version, so everything in my game is usually called differently [Kazekiri, Protes, Hero Shield, Mutsonamizimi{or something like that}...etc.])

Flying Mullet
12-08-2003, 01:35 AM
where do you get the Illumina Sword
Take the Ragnorak Sword instead of the Ragnorak Esper from teh old man in Narshe. Then wager the Ragnorak Sword at the Coliseum for the Excalibur. Then wager the Excalibur for Illumina.

Stayin Dizzy
12-08-2003, 04:42 PM
And yes it has special effect FZU. the Ragnarok will randomly cast flare, and the Illumina randomly casts a very stromg pearl (I have my illumina on Terra, and the pearl has been dealing 9999 damage even to bosses)

ForeverZeroUltima
12-09-2003, 12:55 AM
i see...but i don't have to give up the ragnarok, now do i? I can just wager the Excalibur i get when i beat Goddess in Kefka's Tower.

Flying Mullet
12-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Yeah, it should work.

I don't remember now if you gamble Ragnorak directly for Illumina or if you have to gamble an Excalibur in the mix.

eestlinc
12-09-2003, 01:27 AM
it's a direct gamble: ragnarok for illumina. you fight didalos.

Flying Mullet
12-09-2003, 01:30 AM
Okay, that's what I thought. Sorry for the bad info before-hand. You can only get one Illumina legally in the game, and that is by wagering the Ragnorak sword, thus giving up the Ragnorak esper.

Danger
12-09-2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Flying Pixie Cut
Okay, that's what I thought. Sorry for the bad info before-hand. You can only get one Illumina legally in the game, and that is by wagering the Ragnorak sword, thus giving up the Ragnorak esper.

Correct. But back to the discussion at hand, Offering... does it suck? I like to hear both sides here. Personally I think it has very limited use and would hinder most low level characters effectivness.

I just finnished playing through the game and my best 6-8 guys were between lvl 35-40 with the others at lvl 30. I beat Kefka without getting one person replaced (calmness missed) and was never in trouble of being killed (I destroyed Kefka before he even got to use goner). The offering and gengi glove were avoided because they just aren't useful for reasons I stated above.

The point I'm making is, the offering will hinder your effectivness (by spreading out the damage or lowering defense if you use the gengi glove with it) at low levels and not gain you much in damage production (see my first post for this info). The game is so easy that it can be beaten at low levels, so the offering is useless unless you want to level up and then overkill everything in one hit to each creature or when you're tough enough to survive the heavy damage you recieve for sacrificing so much defense (when using the gengi glove).

Flying Mullet
12-09-2003, 02:13 PM
I like using the offering with Cyan and Sabin. It seems to fit their fighting styles and characters by dealing out multiple hits in battle. But other than that I rarely use the offering (unless I want Locke to try to steal 4 times, like from a bracheosaur).

ForeverZeroUltima
12-11-2003, 12:18 AM
hmmm...
i don't really use the offering+genji glove anymore, though i use both...i just don't put them on the same person. I'm too impatient to watch Sabin scratch Kefka 8 times. 4 is long enough for me. I just have Cyan, Edgar, and Celes with the glove and sabin with the offering.

Edgar
12-11-2003, 04:22 PM
I don't really worry much about that combo. I gave that combo to Sabin...

Perotinus
04-10-2006, 06:38 PM
I placed it on Locke using the Valiantknife... It does more damage with the offering than regular weapons, even on full hp :D Besides Locke's not much use once you got all the items you need

starseeker
04-10-2006, 07:51 PM
This thread didn't really need a phoenix down
*hides from Leeza*

ljkkjlcm9
04-10-2006, 08:07 PM
wow this was a 2003 thread, and now you're posting in 2006, crazy

THE JACKEL

NeoCracker
04-10-2006, 08:40 PM
I'll just say that it usefull for Sabin, since he doesn't get many good shields anyway.

Behold the Void
04-10-2006, 09:08 PM
*kills thread*