PDA

View Full Version : Rosa, wuss or hero?

TheAbominatrix
12-07-2003, 06:31 AM
Rosa gets a lot of flack as a terrible heroine. She's pinned as one of the worst in the series, and the reason people use is that she constantly needs saving.

Well I disagree. For one, Rosa needed saving only once, when she was captured by Golbez. This could have happened to anyone, as Outsider pointed out in another thread, but Rosa was chosen for he ties to both Cecil and Cain. And besides, what's tactically smarter than taking away a group's healer?

Rosa is very strong. She's not a fighter, though. She's meant to be weak in that sense. She's a white mage, she's there to heal, which she does so well one of the few white mages available in the game. She manages to make it to Kaipo after Cecil, even though the path had been blocked.

IV is my second favorite FF game, and though I loved every character in the game, Rosa has always been my favorite.

Daydrius
12-07-2003, 06:54 AM
*nods and agrees*

Outsider
12-07-2003, 07:34 AM
I guess that most people don't understand how things worked back then...

Rosa was a White Wizard, and back then wizards weren't physically strong... And she was Cecil's girlfriend, so I don't see anything wrong with she depending on him a little.

And I'll keep saying that she had a strong personality... I can remember the time when the group was going to the moon for the last time, when they went to face Zemus, and Cecil wouldn't let Rosa and Rydia go with them, cuz it was dangerous... And Rosa went anyway, hiding in the Big Whale.. She went against the will of the leader of the group (and her boyfriend), so it shows how strong she was

Yeah, Rosa was great...

MagicKnight Locke
12-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Those are dumb who say he needs saving.
What could she have done tied to a post with 2 mad psycho killers next to him,3 hookers outside and tons of monsters in the whole tower.
Now edward...theres a wuss.

Psychotic
12-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Now edward...theres a wuss.

Nah, Edward was the machoest FF char of all time. I mean, you gotta be as tough as nails if you go into a battle wielding a harp

Anyway, I agree that Rosa was a heroine, rather that some damsel in distress.

Sefie1999AD
12-07-2003, 08:44 PM
As usual, I agree with Psychotic. Rosa was a very strong as a person, especially in FF4 J2e and FF4 PSX. And for those who think she's a damsel-in-distress, if it wasn't for her Cure 4 spells during the battle against Zeromus, everyone would be dead. Also, your party would have been annihilated if she hadn't cast Exit when Tower of Zot collapsed. Rosa is actually quite a heroine.

Danger
12-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Rosa a wuss? I think not. Besides the cure spells that basically are necessary to beat the game, think of her offensive capabilities.

1: White or Holy spell. This is a huge damage producer that is often forgotten about. What a great spell this is, too bad you learn it never (if you're at lower levels) or really late in the game.

2: Samurai or Elven Bow + Artemis Arrows + any dragon attacking you = dead dragons. Anyone who has played through the game knows how much of a pain those Blue and Red Dragons are in the last dungeon (especially the fight with three stacked). Rosa cuts through these enemies way better than Cecil with the crystal sword anyday.

Notes on her needing saving: Who would you rather kidnap? The Hot Girl who happens to be the girlfriend of the person you're trying to manipulate, the kid whos village you burned down, an ugly karate man you don't care about, a sissy harp wielding singer who is so bad at singing his songs rarely if ever charm you or put you to sleep or the guy you're trying to manipulate (kinda counter productive).

Imperia
12-08-2003, 06:59 PM
I think Rosa was being whimpy when she was captured. I mean, she could've at least tried to fight him off. I still believe she's a damsel-in-distress, and I stand by that. I'm so sick of them that I just wanna puke!

However, I do agree that she is courageous in some ways. Like the reasons you guys mentioned.

Yet if there's anyone Final Fantasy heroine who is the absolute worst, it's not Rosa. In my opinion, it's some dark-haired, pale, childish girl in blue.:rolleyes2

Danger
12-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Wonder who that could be?

*cough* Rinoa *cough*

This might be a bit off topic, but she's definitely the biggest whimp ever....
"I don't know if I can keep up Squall."
"I can't do this anymore Squall."
"Tell me how you feel Squall."

Shut up already. If the guy doesn't want to speak his feelings, leave him alone. No wonder Seifer dumbed your ass.

Ok, I'm done ranting now. If I keep going things will only get worse.

SpikingZero
12-09-2003, 01:01 AM
You mean White Mages are only supposed to heal the party and NOT attack monsters physically?!

*Multiple gasps of shock run through the crowd*

(Yes, I was being sarcastic. I liked Rosa; she kept everyone alive during the last boss. :) )

Garland
12-09-2003, 02:30 AM
Not even Cecil could've defeated Golbez alone at that point in the game. He couldn't even beat Kain. Why should anyone hold it against Rosa? What could she have done? She couldn't run and hide. Fighting back alone would've just gotten her killed. If Rosa as the white mage can recieve ridicule for being inable to defeat Golbez, why doesn't Cecil face even worse ridicule. Rosa heals quite well. Cecil couldn't even beat Golbez's sidekick, and he's the game's heroic swordsman. Somehow, Cecil is praised as one of FF's greatest heroes.

eestlinc
12-09-2003, 03:18 AM
cecil and rosa are both just hollow archetype characters, even more than is the case with most ff games.

Outsider
12-09-2003, 04:04 AM
Cecil is praised for his character, not for his strenght... He wasn't a stereotyped, "normal" character back in 1991

TheAbominatrix
12-09-2003, 06:21 AM
Another thing about Rosa's capture... if she had struggled, she would have been putting her friends in danger. Yang, Edward, and Cecil were all gravely wounded and unable to move. Rydia was probably rather scared, and Rosa knew that if she went quietly, her friends would be okay. With Cain wanting to finish off Cecil then and there, that was a pretty smart move to make.

Sefie1999AD
12-10-2003, 04:49 PM
I wonder if there was some magic barrier preventing Rosa from casting her spells. If she could simply escape the tower with Exit spell after you rescue her, why didn't she use the spell earlier to escape?

Outsider
12-10-2003, 04:53 PM
Well, she was tied there, maybe she couldn't cast her magic...

TheAbominatrix
12-10-2003, 04:54 PM
She probably needed her hands free in order to cast the spell, but she was tied up.

If there was a magic barrier, it would have had to have been destroyed, seeing as she's in the room you battle Valvalis in, and you can use magic in that battle. Among other things going on in there, so there probably wasnt a barrier.

Kain
01-10-2004, 01:33 AM
Rosa is only a good healer that is what she is useful for and that is it! her attacks suck so jusy cure ur party with her magic. if rosa wasnt in ur party then u would be dead since rydia cant use magic when she grows up