PDA

View Full Version : who is the better villain, Kefka or Sephiroth?

Daydrius
12-08-2003, 01:36 AM
my vote goes to Kefka...If you want to know why, you can just look at all of the posts I've made...okay, nevermind, how about I just tell you.

1. He is a pure madman

2. He could totally pwnzorz Sephy any day of the week

3. He is heartless

4. He succeeded in taking over the world, and in becoming godlike, where Sephy failed

black orb
12-08-2003, 03:23 AM
5. He is a Clown

>>> Sephy wins!

Danger
12-08-2003, 04:18 AM
He IS a clown.

Kefka wins.

Kefka beats Sephy in that he uses others to do his bidding for him (Goddesses and Emperor) and makes sure they know who's boss (after he's used them and stabbed them in the back of course).

Sephy does all the work hiself, not the true definition of a mastermind, all time greatest villian. Sure he's hot and cool and has a pimp ass sword. But he lacks the true power, the ability to use other people or creatures more powerful than himself to achieve greatness or to take over/destroy the world (As stated before, something that Kafka did and Sephy never).

TheAbominatrix
12-08-2003, 05:37 AM
Kefka all the way. He had more personality than Sephiroth... I cant stand those constantly cool and collected villians. Seeing someone jumping around and screaming mmakes my day.

Azure
12-08-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by black orb
5. He is a Clown

>>> Sephy wins!

LMAO, that was my argument

I think that Sephy is the better Villian. Sure, Kefka's more heartless than him,and he actually suceeds in his task, and he's a complete lunatic, but Sephiroth is different all together.
He's cold. He's been presented with the news that he was created in the same way as members of SOLDIER and it's made him crazy. He's devoted to an alien lifeform as his mother and he has no-one in the world apart from her. He dosen't control people, he does the dirty work himself. He's not himself. He's a heatless killer, which makes it worse as once he was 'good' and a pretty normal guy.
Kefka's just evil from the very start. You never see him as a normal person, sitting back and enjoying life. When we see Sephy doing this, it makes his villianry that more tragic.

Cid
12-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Gotta go with Sephy. In a one minute FMV, the guy had 111,384 pre-pubecent teens hungry for blood.

Outsider
12-08-2003, 06:25 PM
Kefka. It needs no explanation, just look at both of them...

PhoenixAsh
12-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Jenova owns both. Sephiroth had better developement IMO.

i90east
12-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Sephiroth's dialogue vs. Kefka's dialogue...

Kefka wins easily. Sephiroth may look cool, but his personality is really boring.

Sefie1999AD
12-08-2003, 09:59 PM
Mog owns Kefka. Sephiroth owns them both, except he isn't as cute as Mog. :mog: Anyway, I think Kefka's a boring, whacky clown who's hard to take seriously. Whenever he says something stupid, like "there's sand in my boots" or "you sound like chapters from a self-help booklet", I'm really wondering to myself, why didn't Ultros drop the 5-ton weight on that assclown's ugly head? IMHO, Kefka's also the easiest final boss seen in the series. To borrow Dr Unne a bit, even a one-eyed Kraken (from FF1) who's equipped with a wet spaghetti could kill 20 Kefkas before he had to heal himself.

ForeverZeroUltima
12-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Azure
He's a heatless killer, which makes it worse as once he was 'good' and a pretty normal guy.

true, true...i really enjoy seeing guys like that.

but...if kefka and seph were to fight head on, kefka always uses FallenAngel first, which brings all enemies to 1 hp. Seph can do the same, but kefka's angel automatically drops the hp, while seph deals damage. And Seph was totally weak when i fought him in all three of my files (i was level 50, 65, and 93)

but then again, kefka is defeated way too easily too. I saved right before fighting him/her (i know it's a him, but i just put the "her" there just for heck of it), and Kefka only attacked once before i killed him. I dealt so much damage to him right off the bat that he didn't bother using FallenAngel and just skipped to Goner. As for Seph, it took me a while just on Bizzaro, cuz he keeps regenerating his parts and his core (the bottom part) is almost invincible.

in any case, i can't decide on this one, so...*head explodes*

ZeZipster
12-09-2003, 01:08 AM
Kefka's laugh has traumatized me...
Why, WHY DID THEY EVEN TRY???

Danger
12-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Garnet1999AD
Kefka's also the easiest final boss seen in the series. To borrow Dr Unne a bit, even a one-eyed Kraken (from FF1) who's equipped with a wet spaghetti could kill 20 Kefkas before he had to heal himself.

Where does it state that the toughness of a person is directly related to how good of a villain they are?

Spoilers ahead:

Sephy was tough, good looking, a fallen hero.... but the bottom line is that he was jenovas bitch. And he had no control over the minions you fight troughout the game. Example, Sephy does not command the weapons, they do what they please.

Kefka might not have been tough, but his brains gave him power (reminds me of Hamlet pretending to go nuts so that people will underestimate him) and at the end of the day he made godesses HIS bitch. He controls the fate of the world and desides to play with it at his whim, that makes him the greater villain.

Last note: If we go for toughness, I think that I took the longest to beat Zeromus in FFIV and the most dangerous last boss (ie closest to killing me) was NeoExDeath FFV. Chaos was ok, but I killed him quickly (he never used Cure 4). Kefka, Sephy and the last sorceress of FF8 are jokes compared to the old school bosses in terms of toughness. I've played through FF1,4-8.

Talus
12-09-2003, 08:02 AM
vil·lain ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vln)
n.
A wicked or evil person; a scoundrel.
A dramatic or fictional character who is typically at odds with the hero.

Originally posted by Danger
Where does it state that the toughness of a person is directly related to how good of a villain they are?

Where does it state that the numbers of minions a person has is directly related to how good of a villain they are?

Originally posted by Danger
Kefka might not have been tough, but his brains gave him power (reminds me of Hamlet pretending to go nuts so that people will underestimate him) and at the end of the day he made godesses HIS bitch.

If you ask me, Kefka was just a bitch. Not only did he look ridiculous, but he also played the role of comic relief. I couldn't take the guy seriously.

I can respect Sephiroth for his strength as a soldier, where Kefka is just a weak coward.

They are both technically villains, but Sephiroth looks and acts professionally, where Kefka is a walking joke.

Outsider
12-09-2003, 08:31 AM
I do think that the "comic" stuff about him is what made him disturbing... It was disturbing to see that clown killing all those people and laughing his ass off while making some strange jokes about it.

Sephiroth was too "standart"...

Daydrius
12-10-2003, 02:44 AM
Kefka was an excelletn villain, he was a coward, but then, when he got power, he pwnd them all. The guy is nuts, that what makes him so great IMO. The fact that he is an evil clown that takes over the world just shows you that you don't have to be a huge-ass powerful guy to take over the world.

Flying Mullet
12-10-2003, 05:59 PM
:rock: K-E-F-K-A :rock:

Yeah, I'm going with Kefka. He's a nut who does whatever he wants for no reason. That makes him a better villian than Sephiroth, who was bound by his feelings and couldn't do whatever he wanted.

ForeverZeroUltima
12-11-2003, 12:15 AM
last time i didn't vote...i just wanted to say something...but now i guess i'll vote...I VOTE FOR MYSELF!!! *points at avatar*

Edgar
12-11-2003, 04:47 PM
When you look at one-on-one, remember that you must not rely on in-game battles. Kefka has his...Light of Judgement thingy and Sephy have his Meteor thingy too.

KEFKA wins anyway.

Rainecloud
12-11-2003, 05:31 PM
Kefka laughs like a girl. Sephiroth doesn't.

I prefer Sephiroth, because he isn't a 16-bit sprite with a couple of frames of animation.

In terms of story, I believe Sephiroth wins again, because he's pleasantly and amusingly insane.

Rool
12-11-2003, 11:41 PM
kefka takes my vote.... he's got spunk with his villianous ways. he can blow up the world and make me laugh along with him.

sephy is a panzy, he's like one of those squall emo wannabe's "im so badass with my villian like grin... yar"

Daydrius
12-12-2003, 04:26 AM
This is really close, looks like Sephy's winning by a hair...and again, how is Sephiroth more insane then Kefka? How can the graphics affect how good of a villain he is? How did Sephy's character develope, from heartless soldier to heartless, badass puppet? Just a few questions

Edgar
12-12-2003, 06:16 AM
Kefka laughs like a girl.

But he does have a laugh, does he?

But the more I hear it, the more I doubt it sounds like a girl, espacially after hearing the .wav version of it.

What reasons does Sephiroth have to be a villian?
What reasons does Kefka have to be a villian?

True both are madmen, but real madmen only have a minute amount of reasons and make good villians imo.

Azure
12-12-2003, 10:16 AM
Ahh yeah but Sephy's laugh (if we could hear it) would be the best. Just imagine this... this badass just walking towards you, holding out his masamune going "Mwahahahahahah" really lowly and creepily.

Kefka's laugh is just traumatising. When I first heard it, I was just like O_O

sephiroth21
12-12-2003, 02:30 PM
sephiroth..just because of
his kick-ass sword!...

:chop:

Stayin Dizzy
12-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Kefka is a foolish pouf who wears makeup and bends over and takes it everytime you fight him. He is a weak baffoon, who without the power of the statues or magicite was a bumbling idiot who general leo would have smitten, if not for the magic. Seph was a hardass. Warrior, summoner, spellcaster, soldier, loved by all until figuring out the truth and going mad, survived a fall into the lifestream after being stabbed by his own sword to get crystalized in mako, but still managed to let his soul control clouds mind and control his clones. Then the life-form jenova chooses him above any other to merge with and he becomes safer sephiroth, much more badass and much less a weakling than Kefka (especially if you have cloud on level 99). Kefka dies because hes a whiney little pussbag, and Seph dies because clous catches him off guard (If I was just possesed by an alien being and was whooped I'd be tired too).

All in all Kefka is a weakling Seph is a hardcase

Outsider
12-12-2003, 07:35 PM
I dunno... Sephiroth seemed to be a nice guy, maybe you could go with him to a bar nearby and drink some beers, maybe he would even end up telling you a joke, or two...

Now you go drink with Kefka and he would poison your beer, burn the bar to the ground, kill some children... And of course, laugh about it...

Rool
12-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Now you go drink with Kefka and he would poison your beer, burn the bar to the ground, kill some children... And of course, laugh about it...

now thats what i call a villian.

Daydrius
12-13-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Daryn
Kefka is a foolish pouf who wears makeup and bends over and takes it everytime you fight him. He is a weak baffoon, who without the power of the statues or magicite was a bumbling idiot who general leo would have smitten, if not for the magic. Seph was a hardass. Warrior, summoner, spellcaster, soldier, loved by all until figuring out the truth and going mad, survived a fall into the lifestream after being stabbed by his own sword to get crystalized in mako, but still managed to let his soul control clouds mind and control his clones. Then the life-form jenova chooses him above any other to merge with and he becomes safer sephiroth, much more badass and much less a weakling than Kefka (especially if you have cloud on level 99). Kefka dies because hes a whiney little pussbag, and Seph dies because clous catches him off guard (If I was just possesed by an alien being and was whooped I'd be tired too).

All in all Kefka is a weakling Seph is a hardcase

If you put it that way, a peice of bark could beat Kefka, then again, I could also make Sephiroth seem like a weakling and make Kefka look like god...although, that is not hard to do. How much of FFVI have you played?

Sefie1999AD
12-13-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Outsider and Rool

now thats what i call a villian.

I'd only call that an idiotic coward. And probably tell him "Get a life and grow up". Then I'd probably laugh at how crazy he is when he's drunk and smite him dead with double Atma Weapons (Offering - Genji Glove), and then get back to my... well, Coke. I don't like beer.

I dunno... Sephiroth seemed to be a nice guy, maybe you could go with him to a bar nearby and drink some beers, maybe he would even end up telling you a joke, or two...

That's what I like about Sephiroth. While being a badass, he's still human. This is just my opinion, but it adds a lot of depth to him, and it also makes the story tragic how a normal human guy's life was ruined when Hojo infected him with Jenova cells while his mother was pregnant for him, and the Jenova was to mess him up sooner or later. And when Sephiroth burns Nibelheim, kills Aeris and many other things, it's easier for the player - at least for me - to hate him (as a character). And IMHO, his human personality and evilness make it easier to hate him than it is to hate a lunatic clown.

Outsider
12-13-2003, 10:24 PM
Now it's just a matter of taste.. I think it's a lot easier to hate kefka for his sadistic nature... He just wants to destroy everything, for his own amusement.

I say he's a great villain because he was an idiotic coward... He wasn't an all powerful, scary badass that threatens your life (BTW, Golbez did this job much better than Sephiroth)...

Again, Kefka is great because he is unique.

Sefie1999AD
12-13-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Outsider
Now it's just a matter of taste.. I think it's a lot easier to hate kefka for his sadistic nature... He just wants to destroy everything, for his own amusement.

I only think "Poor kid. Go get some help!" when I see Kefka, rather than hate him for his sadistic nature.

I say he's a great villain because he was an idiotic coward...

Right, and I think he sucks because of that. Like you said, it's a matter of taste.

He wasn't an all powerful, scary badass that threatens your life (BTW, Golbez did this job much better than Sephiroth)...

Are you referring to Kefka or Sephiroth with that? I've heard people calling Kefka an all-powerful god for taking over the world, so are you saying Kefka or Sephiroth wasn't all powerful? I prefer Golbez to Kefka, but not to Sephiroth. But let's not get into that.

Again, Kefka is great because he is unique.

Well, I've seen similar psycho killer clowns in Scream, I know what you did last summer etc, and I think they aren't unique and fun at all. Besides, I can't relate to psychopathic killers who don't have much human features in their personality.

Edgar
12-14-2003, 03:17 PM
People have different view vs. villians. My view was probably a madman who succeed in getting away with his madness.

Not those madmen who get caught after 10 secs of executing a crime...

Enoki
12-22-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Daydrius
He succeeded in taking over the world, and in becoming godlike, where Sephy failed

This isnt true. Sephiroth is better cause all Kefka wanted to do was rule the world. Sephiroth wanted to end all existence. Theres a big difference.

.....and he would have gotten away with it too if it werent for those meddling kids!

Outsider
12-22-2003, 11:33 PM
Kefka never wanted to rule the world.

He wanted to be powerful enough to destroy everything. EVERYTHING.

Enoki
12-23-2003, 12:18 AM
Yeah well that didnt work out to well did it? I mean look a sephiroth. He was SO close. It all would have been over if Cloud and his buddies didnt somehow pull Holy out of their butts and save the planet with "LOVE"

By the way how does a saxophonist afford to live in such a huge house?

TheAbominatrix
12-23-2003, 12:20 AM
I'd say the two of them were rather equally close. Saying Kefka's worse cause it didnt work out... well it didnt work out for Sephiroth either. Kefka had the entire world under his thumb and destroyed towns and whatnot at will. Sephiroth summoned meteor. Both could have destroyed the world if not for the respective heroes in each game.

Edgar
12-31-2003, 02:52 PM
Torture is sometimes more ideal than Instant Death...I mean...

ForeverZeroUltima
01-04-2004, 07:53 PM
but even then, everything was back to its normal status, because in FFVII everything is still unscathed. in FFVI Kefka destroyed towns, but in the ending it showed everyone rebuilding the towns and celebrating. so in the end, it was all meaningless. (bah, i'm sounding like Kefka now. "It's all meaningless! People are going to die anyway!")

:P

Edgar
01-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Question is, who inflicted more pain to the world?

TheAbominatrix
01-05-2004, 01:19 PM
The amount of damage Kefka did can never be undone. Messing with the statues changed the face of the entire planet, and no amount of rebuilding can fix that. And of course the people are rebuilding a celebrating, they couldnt before (the only ones that even tried were the people of South Figaro) from fear of the Light of Judgement.

And neither man did that much damage on his own. Kefka used the statues, Sephiroth used meteor. And regardless, they both lost in the end.

Daydrius
01-09-2004, 02:50 PM
I guess this would sum it up

Sephiroth:evil, hardcase, badass swordsman who went insane, burned Cloud's home town to the ground, mentally tortured him, and tried to become a god while destroying the world in the process. Who also manipulated everyone from the north crater to get what he wanted. and he had a cool sword

Kefka: Insane, cowardly, idiotic, funny, sadistic, insane, insane evil clown who hates a lot, who kicked Gestahl off of a cliff, messed up the world for good, became powerful, destroyed towns at whim for fun, and still got killed.

They are both cool, but I prefer Kefka still

Silmaril
01-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Sephiroth

Evil Looking Teddy
03-02-2004, 07:49 PM
I chose Kefka because I have never liked Sephiroth, or FF7 for that matter, I think it's the weakest part of the series. Which I know is blasphemy. I'm sorry. :(

The Man
03-04-2004, 03:18 AM
I can't believe people are still debating this. Kefka is so much better a villain it's ridiculous. Sephiroth wasn't even really evil.

ForeverZeroUltima
03-05-2004, 02:45 AM
yes he was. :p

Sefie1999AD
03-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by The Man
I can't believe people are still debating this. Kefka is so much better a villain it's ridiculous. Sephiroth wasn't even really evil.

I can't believe it, either. I mean, Kefka's such a stupid boring clown who would probably suit in a mini-villain role to annoy the party out, like Zorn and Thorn in FF9, and he's just so big a joke it's ridiculous. Not to mention the easiest last boss in the FF series.

Oh, and maybe that's why people are still debating this. Because the opinions are clearly divived. :p

The Man
03-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Almost everyone seems to agree that Yu Yevon is easier.

ok, what does sephiroth do? he gets brainwashed by jenova, burns nibelheim, goes out on a quest to become god, and fails. what does kefka do? he destroys half the world, kills Leo and his own Emperor, and quashes all his oppressors with the Light of Judgment. kefka is by far a more successful villain, both because of his achievements and because he's actually evil. what you think of them as characters is irrelevant to this debate. sephiroth may be a more human character, but that just goes to show why he's less of a villain.

Flying Mullet
03-05-2004, 05:59 PM
I agree. People always trivialize Kefka by saying he looks like a clown therefor he is harmless. Well Sephiroth wears a trenchcoat and carries a sword, so he must be a disgruntled teen that collects swords, equally harmless.

Neither are very vicious when you look at them that way, but when you put them into the context of the game they are in, Kefka is responsible for a lot more death, destruction and pain then Sephiroth is.

The Man
03-05-2004, 06:00 PM
agreed. also, as for kefka being an easy final boss, a lot of people say sephiroth is easier. i don't know because i've never been arsed to finish ffvii.

it doesn't really matter though because luca blight is so much better than either it's ridiculous.

aeris2001x2
03-30-2004, 03:31 PM
sephiroth wins...just. i think ff7 puposefully made the game similar to ff6 but changed the character of the main enemy.

they r both grand manipulaters. kefka- emperor, party members. sephiroth- jenova, cloud.

however i do believe sephiroth's tragedy, as said above, makes him more likeable and human. he had a HUGE personality. his development i believe was the best ff enemy development ever.

kefka however, was more in your face and apparant.. i havent played ff1-5 yet, but was he the first ff guy to claim life as worthless and decide its only purpose is to die? ( like necron and agent smith lol would say later) that is super cool ness. but he doestnt really change throughout.

the only tragic element in him is he destroys the world and rules a dead world. he doesnt succeed until he dies at your partys hands. for deep within him if he believes lifes only point is death, then he too craves death. this is much better then nooj's death seeking.

i think we can both say that ff main villans after these havent compared. ultimecia...what was she about? kuja, decent but cliched. seymour, jecht, yu yevon. all good, but because ffx was devoted to all three it couldnt devlop them to a sephi kefka standard.

so while my bias says sephiroth, lets just agree that they r both the best ff villans ever, and both rule.