PDA

View Full Version : Ragnarok Online issue

Citizen Bleys
12-08-2003, 05:29 AM
It's been a while since I've played RO, so I decided to get back into it via a free server that Joel linked me to.

I re-downloaded the client and started to run it, but I've hit a snag: The game works fine if I run it in windowed mode--which triples lag. Lag can make the game unplayable even without that. However, if I try to run it in fullscreen mode, I get no display whatsoever; It switches resolution, and then changes the focus to another window. If I alt+tab back into Ragnarok, all I get is a black screen.

Googling the problem took me to a lot of FAQs that said that a black screen was a symptom of having a video card with less than 8 MB of RAM. I have 128 MB of video RAM and 768 MB of system RAM. RO does not need that much RAM.

TheAbominatrix
12-08-2003, 06:20 AM
You can check out the official RO site's FAQ. I saw your post in the forums of that free server, and I can tell you you're wasting your time asking them, they'll probably just mutter random racial slurs.

Anyway, I have no idea what's going on, but I can tell you you'd be better off not fussing over this one. The server we're on... well I've had 7 of my characters deleted so far, so you'll be stressing out over that when the time comes.

Anyway, I have no idea how to help you, so yeah. Sorry.

Citizen Bleys
12-08-2003, 01:37 PM
That FAQ is the *first* place I looked. That's where it said that a black screen is a symptom of having a < 8MB video card, which I don't.

I always check the FAQ first, and try my best to solve my own problems, since I have to wait (usually) at least a day to get a reply on a message board, and even then it's as likely to be a flame as an actual useful answer.

Erdrick Holmes
12-08-2003, 02:03 PM
Ill tell you what, when I get home Ill take a screenshot of my video settings and show them to ya, if you can set them like so then maybe it can work, RO does not require much to run nowadays, if my system can run it without much hassle I don't see why you can't.

m4tt
12-08-2003, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't trust the official FAQ. They don't know what they are talking about.

Erdrick Holmes
12-08-2003, 10:53 PM
Heres what I have my video and audio settings, try them and see if anything happens.

Citizen Bleys
12-09-2003, 01:07 AM
No dice on those settings.

Killy
12-09-2003, 03:11 AM
The problem is probably some sort of software problem, sice RO ran perfectly in a window, on my old 32mb video card and 256 mb of Ram. Update all your drivers and Direct X and see if it works then. Or maybe, if you have another version of Windows installed on your computer, try running it under that OS.

TheAbominatrix
12-09-2003, 06:14 AM
Just make sure you don't run it under ME or 98, you wont be able to access your skill tree at all.

Citizen Bleys
12-09-2003, 02:03 PM
I use Dynamic Disks, so a dual-boot scenario is a no-go. Plus, my drivers are up to date, and I'm running DirectX 9.0b

I guess it doesn't really matter, since qrRO is down more than it's up, and even when it does work, it's buggy to the point of unplayabliity anyways. (I got to level 9 and spent an hour in Izlude trying to find the guy that would make me a Knight. No dice, but there is a portal that works fine one way, and traps you going the other way. Extra nice is that !unstuck doesn't work.

Erdrick Holmes
12-09-2003, 02:06 PM
Actually unstuck does work, but not on this WoR server which is the on on that beefy.xml file I sent you. *snickers at the filename* and the guy who is supposed to make you a knight is in prontera (or as Proot calls it "Pr0n") and it's easier to change jobs, just find the Izlude jorb changer and pay him 1000 z and he will change your job instantly, and making money on this servr is easy too, 1000z is chump change to me.

TheAbominatrix
12-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Yeah its down a lot, and I've had so many characters deleted I'm just friggin done. It's way too annoying, I'll wait for a better server, hopefully one with less racists. Those people are driving me batty.

Citizen Bleys
12-09-2003, 02:10 PM
Swordsman, whatever.

But the only guys I can find in Izlude are one merchant and that guy who raves about Bash.

Plus, I'm not on WoR or beefy.xml, I'm on the main qrRO server, Crono (server.xml)

TheAbominatrix
12-09-2003, 02:15 PM
There's been a problem going on around there with people unable to see NPCs. I'm in Izlude on the Crono server too, and I can find way more people than those guys.

Erdrick Holmes
12-09-2003, 02:19 PM
I never encountered any of these problems and I play the game almost daily, Im pretty sure my computer is prolly half as good as yours and Bleys's so I don't see why these problems are happening.

Citizen Bleys
12-09-2003, 02:20 PM
You're not in Izlude anymore.

EDIT: Lag, hackers, and it taking too long to level notwithstanding, I'm almost tempted to pay and get on iRO again. Almost.

Erdrick Holmes
12-09-2003, 02:24 PM
I only went to Izlude like 3 times, most likely to buy new stuff. Im sure these problems will clear up, If I remember correctly there is a place where you can download replacement sprites that seem to not be showing up, if I find them Ill link us up to it.

Advent Child
12-22-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
EDIT: Lag, hackers, and it taking too long to level notwithstanding, I'm almost tempted to pay and get on iRO again. Almost.
Gravity is getting better with iRO. I don't think we've had a rollback, item wipe, character wipe or hacking in at least 2 months. We're actually ahead of jRO now. I think.

Endless
12-23-2003, 02:15 AM
If Turtle Island is the latest addition on iRO, jRO is ahead of you since it has got Juno related updates. kRO is still miles ahead of everyone, of course xD