PDA

View Full Version : Notepad and full memory?

eternalshiva
12-09-2003, 11:19 AM
The memory level on my notepad seems to fill up easily and I have to close the application to be able to continue typing on it. Is there anyway to avoid that? I have loads of free memory and notepad is always the only application that I have opne. it says something like "Your memory is full to complete this operation, please close an application something something* but that's all I have opened. I save, close Note Pad and reopen it and it works again but a few minutes later it says the same message...

Any thoughts?

Endless
12-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Notepad can only load so much text/data in memory. Try Wordpad instead.

Citizen Bleys
12-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Wordpad?

Try something better (http://www.vim.org/) instead

eternalshiva
12-09-2003, 02:04 PM
xD well my laptop still has Windows 98 on it... its about to take the garbage in February when I finally get my computer at home

Thanks though, I'll set it up on my new computer when I get it. xD

~ Filbert

Dr Unne
12-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Notepad is the worst program in the history of mankind. Anything is better. Except maybe Wordpad. Download.com has tons of editors designed to be as simple as Notepad, but actually WORK. Search for "notepad replacement" and you'll probably get tons. If you're editing source code, you'd really do well to get an editor that supports things programmers need, like syntax highlighting and smart-indenting and line numbering and all kinds of stuff. Textpad is great for that if you're in Windoze. Vim is good too, but requires about a year to learn it, and gvim for Windoze isn't as good as the Linux versions unfortunately.

Peegee
12-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Anything is better

dos' edit program? /curious

Dr Unne
12-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Yes, DOS's EDIT is better than Notepad. EDIT can open more than one document at once, can't it? Notepad can't.

Citizen Bleys
12-09-2003, 05:43 PM
It's worth learning how to use vi.

Dr Unne
12-09-2003, 06:47 PM
vim > vi. It is worth it though, yep. It's all I use. If you compile it with Perl support you can use Perl right from inside vim, which is the greatest thing ever conceived by man. Especially if you want to do regexes, because vim's regexes are terrible compared to Perl's.

crono_logical
12-09-2003, 07:04 PM
I think notepad has a 64K file limit on Win98/ME - it's unlimited on XP but it's still as inefficient as heck when loading text files several megabytes large. It's fine for taking small notes though :p

Peegee
12-10-2003, 03:50 AM
I cannot for the life of me use vi. The college or whatever it is I went to created something called nled that I ended up using instead.

Why would you use notepad to do anything other than small notes? It's not a word processor :p

Dr Unne
12-10-2003, 04:01 AM
All you need to know to use vim is i for insert mode (for when you want to type stuff), ESCAPE for exiting insert mode (for when you want to use commands), :w for saving, and :q for exiting. There are a berjillion and a half other commands, but you don't NEED any of them.

Spatvark
12-10-2003, 02:43 PM
http://www.textpad.com/

All you'll ever need =P

eternalshiva
12-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Thanks Spats :D

I get it I get it, don't use notepad for stuff. *lesson learned* xD

Citizen Bleys
12-10-2003, 05:29 PM
gVim Easy Mode is essentially a non-sucky version of NotePad.

The problem is, it locks you in insert mode, so you have to use the mouse to save files and such...just like you would with notepad, but when you're a little bit experienced with vi and you get used to just going esc-w-enter, it's annoying that it doesn't work in gVim Easy Mode.

crono_logical
12-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Textpad looks like a freaking developer environment - too bloaty for me :p