PDA

View Full Version : mysidan legend

sephiroth23
12-11-2003, 02:57 AM
can anyone tell me what the words to the mysidain legend from ff4 is i cant remember and i dont feel like playing the game from the begining again to find it out

TheAbominatrix
12-11-2003, 03:02 AM
One to be born
From a dragon
Hoisting the light and the dark
Arises high up
In the sky to the still land
It brings
Another promise
To mother Earth with
A great bounty and mercy

That's just by memory, so it may not be perfect.

Numisma
12-12-2003, 10:53 AM
here it is... i just got to the part where you get the Lunar Whale, and it was mentioned at the beginning of said scene when i went to the tower in Mysidia to pray w/ the elders. anyway, the wording is from slightly different from the above, but that may be because i'm playing the PSX version found in FF Chronicles, so there is a slightly different translation for the whole game.

One Born of a dragon
bearing darkness and light
shall rise to the heavens
over the still land.
Bathing the moon in eternal
light, he brings a promise
to Mother Earth with
beauty and grace.

Outsider
12-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Okay, I never played the PSX version, but the one Abominatrix posted sounds very much like the original SNES release...

But now I that I read the PSX version of the Mysidian legend remember a line like that: "(Something) the moon with light of eternity"

TheAbominatrix
12-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Oh thats right... hmm... I cant remember it exactly.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-12-2003, 08:45 PM
"Light of eternity" is a particularly stupid way of saying "eternal light."

Outsider
12-13-2003, 05:17 AM
I was just saying that in the SNES release that's how it was said...

Numisma
12-13-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Outsider
I was just saying that in the SNES release that's how it was said...

exactly, it was just a different translation. a few other things are different. for example, in the PSX version, the item you use to open the Sealed Cave in the Underworld is called the Necklace, while if i recall correctly it's called LuccaKey or LucaKey in the SNES version. plus, a bunch of enemy names are different. i came across these same types of things with the NES and the GBC versions of the first 3 Dragon Warrior games.

DJZen
12-18-2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
"Light of eternity" is a particularly stupid way of saying "eternal light."

And "Doctor of Death" is a particularly stupid way of saying "Death Doctor".

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-18-2003, 08:26 PM
I am not hearing that.

soulICE
12-19-2003, 08:50 PM
are the translations different because the FF4 for psx that comes in the Final Fantasy Chronicles is the hard type version? or is the SNES version the hard type as well?

i never played the SNES (my bro got rid of it for a sega genesis *dies*) so i just have the FFC and playing it through.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-19-2003, 10:00 PM
The FFC version had a new translation because the translation used for the American SNES release was horribly cut and censored, and Square had realized that people appreciate good translations, especially in RPGs.

The Man
12-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Doctor of Death is so much better than Death Doctor, it's ridiculous.

Also, the SNES translation blew chunks.

crono_logical
12-20-2003, 11:41 AM
When people say somthing "blows", I can never tell if they mean it's good or bad, since blow is the opposite of suck, but it doesn't seem to be used that way sometimes :p In any case, FF4 remains my 2nd most disliked FF, coming close after FF2 :D

Also, if you want to play the game with as close dialogue as possible to the original in terms of meaning, go learn Japanese :p

The Man
12-20-2003, 05:58 PM
I don't think there's any doubt whether the SNES translation was bad or not.

In case there is:

It was abominable.

DJZen
12-22-2003, 06:45 AM
oh come on, how can you hate phrases like "spoony bard" or weapon names like "spoon"?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-22-2003, 11:58 AM
"You spoony bard" is a diamond in the rough. The rough itself, however, is still very rough.

SpikingZero
12-23-2003, 11:19 PM
You SPOONY BARD! Fear my BUTTER KNIFE!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-24-2003, 02:26 AM
It's a kitchen cleaver--the kind all good and loving housewives use. They chop meats and vegetables to be cooked in a frypan of love.

SpikingZero
12-24-2003, 02:57 AM
Hearing that makes me burn with hot emotion.

(http://www.engrish.com)

The Man
12-24-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by DJzen
oh come on, how can you hate phrases like "spoony bard" or weapon names like "spoon"?
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
"You spoony bard" is a diamond in the rough. The rough itself, however, is still very rough. Exactly.

kishi's last few posts have made this post go from interesting to truly classic.