PDA

View Full Version : Recording music from emulators

Xander
12-13-2003, 09:17 PM
I wondered if anybody knew if it's possible to record music from ROMs played on an emulator, so that it can be mixed in some sort of music editing program. If it is possible, how would I go about it and what software would I have to use? Thanks :)

Rainecloud
12-13-2003, 09:44 PM
If I want to record from any application, be it an Emulator or a Media Player of sorts, I simply open my Cool Edit program, tweak the sound settings to perfection and hit the 'record' button. Then, I save the file as whatever format I need it to be.

It's not always that easy, though, and you may not have a decent Sound Recorder to do this with. My method is a little crude, too, although the quality is good. Your only other option is to search the 'Net for some sort of Rom music extractor. I've heard of them, and I'm pretty sure they exist.

crono_logical
12-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Depends what ROMs for which console. For GB/GBA, the VisualBoy Advance emulator let's you record the audio and/or video directly to a WAV or AVI while you play so you'll end up with exactly what you'd get as if the emulator was running at the correct speed, even if it's running too slow because the PC can't handle it. For other games such as NES/SNES/PSX, yeah, searching the internet for already ripped audio (e.g. in the form of SPC for SNES games, or PSF for PSX games) would be a better idea, since that'd give you the exact sound data in the console's memory from when the game is running or from the game itself. You can then use something simple like Winamp to convert it to a normal WAV file.

Recording on the fly with something like CoolEdit can work, but it won't be particularly good on a slower system because the PC wouldn't be able to emulate the game at full speed so the sound recorded will be too slow or have other glitches in. There's also the Windows Sound Recorder, but that's limited to 60 seconds of recording time, and generally sucks :p

Xander
12-15-2003, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the help guys, sounds a little complicated but I may give it a try, I'd really like to learn to mix some old C64 game music and stuff ^_^