PDA

View Full Version : An internet annoyance.

Shoyku
12-16-2003, 03:55 PM
A few days ago, I had gotten a new computer. Now-- everything was going great except for one thing. There seems to be something wrong with my internet, it refuses to connect to certain things and I'm baffled as to what I should do. I can't connect to FTPs, Hotmail, Fileplanet, game servers, P2P filesharing programs, Trillian, and more. Now, I can browse the net just fine, it seems to just relate to the things above, and I've tried some things, but nothing worked.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what may help it would be much appreciated.

edczxcvbnm
12-16-2003, 04:33 PM
It probably has to do with your options in IE(I assume you use IE). Because things like Hotmail require you to send passwords and user names across the net, the browser may be set to not allow it for security reasons. Just look at the options for something like that.

Or maybe it is a firewall thing but it doesn't sound like it.

Shoyku
12-16-2003, 04:40 PM
Hmm, don't you just love it when you figure something out right <i>after</i> you ask for help on it?

Apparently, the computer already came with a Norton majigy already on it, which included an anti-virus a firewall and all that hubub. I disabled the firewall and all the Norton stuff, and I also disabled it from starting up using the "msconfig" command in run. However, when I disabled it from starting up, it used the firewall anyway. So I have it starting up disabled, and everything's goin' great.

Thankfully since I'm using XP (never thought I'd say that), I can hide the ugly icon it uses.

Ed: I use Firebird. ;-)

*closes*