PDA

View Full Version : The storyline jump between CT/CC spoiler warning

Erdrick Holmes
12-18-2003, 12:16 AM
I was watching some FMVs on Chrono Trigger and I saw one that mentioned "in 1005 the Guardian kingdom was Overthrown, and the mysterios sword 'the Masamune' was missing" and it made me wonder, did this lead to the events in Cross? I always figured that Cross was an alternate universe game so what exactly does Trigger have to do with Cross?

*has never played Cross*

TheAbominatrix
12-18-2003, 03:10 AM
Cross takes place a number of years after Trigger (I believe 20, but I dont remember), but they arent totally connected (what I mean is, it isnt a direct sequel and you dont have to play Trigger to understand Cross).

- The small part of the world that Cross takes place in isnt in the original Trigger, but was created by their actions from what I understand
- The Masamune and Doreen (Or rather, the Grandlion and Dream) play a small part, mainly in a weapon for Serge.
-A character in Cross, Glenn, is named after Glenn Frog from Trigger.
-You can find Epoch in the basement of Viper Manor
-Belthasar is around.
-You can visit a version of 'The End of Time' and fight Slash, Flea, and Ozzy
-Guardia is mentioned a few times

Erdrick Holmes
12-18-2003, 03:12 AM
I also hear that the Glenn in this game becomes a fromlike form like the one in Trigger.

TheAbominatrix
12-18-2003, 03:30 AM
No, bad rumor. Glenn is not related to Frog in any way, and does not become anything remotely having to do with a Frog.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-18-2003, 03:43 AM
The time machine in Balthazar's basement is probably not actually the Epoch but the "Neo-Epoch" he mentions. Note that it only has one seat instead of three.

There are no Nu in Chrono Cross, but there are weak monsters called Beach Bums that sort of resemble them. One of them can be found in the Neo-Epoch's room providing the service of changing the lead party member's name, just like the Nu in the Laruba Ruins in Chrono Trigger. Cross has plenty of other references like these, including an enertron machine and Leene's Bell, plus the ones Ash has already mentioned.

And yes, Cross is definitely a direct sequel to Trigger, at least in the sense that its events are directly caused by its predecessors. Chrono and company's triumph over Lavos turns out to be the main cause of Serge and company's problems, and so on. The FMV endings added to the PS version of Trigger had scenes that were intentionally designed to help tie the two games closer together; besides the one showing the theft of Masamune, there's also one in which Lucca finds Kid as an orphaned child.

Outsider
12-18-2003, 03:46 AM
I played Chrono Cross a long time ago, but I don't remember much of the history now...

But I remember one thing that I didn't understood back then (I gave up after the fight against the Sky Dragon).... What the hell is that "Bend Of Time"? Is that where you fight Slash, Flea and Ozzie?

Actually I didn't understood many things when I played it... A friend of mine that finished the game told me that a lot of things would be explained later, but I really couldn't stand playing it no more...

He told me that the game wouldn't get much better than what I saw, btw...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-18-2003, 03:51 AM
The Bend of Time is Cross's version of the End of Time. It looks prettymuch the same, what with the bricks and lamppost and fence and all, but instead of allowing Serge to access different time periods, the pillars of light let him fight enemies from the game's various locations. And, during New Game +, the door to the back room opens up and Vinegar, Soysauce, and Mayonnaise can be challenged.

Callin'em by their Japanese names just 'cause it's been a while. :aimsun:

edczxcvbnm
12-18-2003, 04:31 AM
Not only does everything that is stated happens but it gives rise to other ideas that might have been. Such as the war between reptiles and humans. They give thought that humans are really something like Lavos's 'children' and stole the planet from the Reptiles. In addition to that humans wreaked havoc on the envoirnment and consumed the resources with out really repleneshing them(sounds a lot like lavos).

I like all those little underlying things that they put into the game to give not only Cross more history but also Trigger. Chronopolis is quite the interesting place if you take the time to go around and look at everything. So much cool information ^_^

Outsider
12-18-2003, 05:43 AM
Hmmm... The humans couldn't be Lavos' children, since they were in Earth (Yeah, I'll just call it Earth) before Lavos' came from the space...

Well, but if you said "Lavos' children " meaning that the humans act just like Lavos, then it's right, and it's really something cool. And that's one of the many reasons why I liked so much 12000BC and Zeal...

TheAbominatrix
12-18-2003, 05:52 AM
No no, it's supposedly Lavos that helped them to evolve from dumb apes or neanderthals to the humans they are today. Being exposed to Lavos makes them evolve faster or some such...

Outsider
12-18-2003, 06:32 AM
But when you go back to 65000000BC you find humans down there... There's people living in Yoka village...

Lavos' only fell on Earth after you defeat the Reptiles, in Tyrano's lair, So you can't say that humans evolved and defeated the Raptiles because of Lavos... And Lavos was buried deep underground, in the middle of that huge Lava field... So I don't see how humans could be exposed to his power.

As far as I remember the humans only were exposed to Lavos power by the time of Zeal, with the Mammon Machine, and the Ocean Palace...

Well, maybe I'm ignoring some information that could be said in Chrono Cross... If that's the case, please, tell me...

edczxcvbnm
12-18-2003, 07:00 AM
When I said Lavos's 'Children' the children part is suppose to be in quotes. They really are not his children :rollyeyes:

And yes they do explain it in Chrono Cross that humans evolved because of Lavos.

Game script is in the spoiler below.

"All life on this planet was born in the sea. The life-forms softly slumberedwithin the womb of our mother sea... Until eventually they developed free will and were able to swim about the ocean freely. Then there came those that, not satisfied with life in the water, looked up from the ocean floor towards the blue skies and
dreamt of the feel of the land. Aeons passed before their preposterous dream became a reality, and they rose up from the seas onto the earth. The land became full of all kinds of creatures. Among these, the dragon lizards and the more evolved Reptites thought they would reign over the earth forever. And for a long while it seemed like they would... However, the unforeseen coming of the mighty one from the heavens suddenly smashed their kingdom to pieces. That one was known as "Lavos!" The great crimson flame...... Wielding absolute power, Lavos buried the dinosaurs - the kings of the land - in the space of a night. However, the timid "apes" who had lived hidden in the forests... ...came into contact with the crimson flame that fell from the sky, and evolved into "humans." Or perhaps it was not "evolution," but "transformation." In this way, humans increased in number and filled the earth...The fearsome "progeny of Lavos" who, like their progenitor, began to devour our mother planet."

There you go. It explains it all ;)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-18-2003, 08:35 PM
Always loved that scene. It's the kind that sticks with you.

Stayin Dizzy
12-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Chrono cross is in every way a direct sequal from trigger. Even most of the characters are mentioned in Cross. My statements are listed in a post that took me 5 hours today to write in this forum

TheAbominatrix
12-19-2003, 07:59 PM
A direct sequel would include the original characters in bigger roles. It's a sequel, just not a direct one, like Final Fantasy X and X-2. Direct, because it deals with the same characters and a continuation of the exact storyline.

Stayin Dizzy
12-19-2003, 08:31 PM
True, I misspoke. I meant direct sequal by everything ties together.

Edgar
01-04-2004, 08:40 AM
It's a sequal. Period.

*spoilers*

I believe that no characters are in CC except for Marle, Crono and Lucca. Glenn is NOT Frog and it is very impossible.

And Magus is NOT Serge nor Guile. NEVER.

EDIT: Oh, and Robo is in Chrono Cross.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-04-2004, 08:55 AM
And Gato. :aimsun:

Erdrick Holmes
01-04-2004, 11:44 AM
What about the old towns and cities located in Trigger, like Gurdina, and what happend to the origional heroes of Trigger, did they die or something? Also my friend Bill says that here is a Lavos in Cross that's sorta in the form of a dragon, is this the same Lavos only in a different shape?

TheAbominatrix
01-04-2004, 11:49 AM
As I mentioned before, it takes place in the same world, in a very, very small area. Ever notice how you cant leave the El Nido area? The area outside of that is the world we knew in CT. They mentioned Guardia a few times, but they never said what happened to Crono, Marle, and Lucca. I assume they'd be dead, seeing as Guardia was overthrown, and I doubt they've have just sat there and let it happened.

Lavos is not in a dragon form, the Lavos of Cross is part of the original Lavos, a Lavos spawn, basically.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Ayla and Frog presumably lived out their lives peacefully after going back to their respective time periods. Chrono, Marle, and Lucca are all presumed dead--Chrono and Marle killed in the war in Guardia, and Lucca by Lynx's hand. Robo's ultimate fate is pretty sketchy; he apparently lived his life peacefully as well, except Lucca used his personality (and name) when building the Prometheus circuit in the FATE supercomputer's security system.

And nobody knows what the heck ever happened to Magus.

Erdrick Holmes
01-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Ok and one final question, who overthrew Guardia?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Porre.

More on Magus. Given Sarah's fate (which is explained in CC), it would seem that he never ever found his darling big sister. Tragic, yes. Yet, in Lucca's letter to Kid, she asks if she's run into Janus. The guy seriously never shows up in CC, and it's a big mystery why Lucca would think he might be. Since he went back to 12,000 B.C. at the end of CT, what the heck would he be doing hanging around A.D. 1020?

Erdrick Holmes
01-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Ok you can close this now, my inqueries have been fulfilled.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-04-2004, 11:58 AM
You're not the boss of me.

ForeverZeroUltima
01-04-2004, 07:42 PM
wait...lucca created teh Prometheus circuit in Chronopolis? i never thought of that! true, Lynx did speak of Lucca and how blah blah blahh and the FATE system was messed up. i was pretty confused too. but in CT Mother Brain and Atropos kept calling Robo "Prometheus". so i thought that Robo had been kept in Chronopolis and caused teh overthrow on the FATE system.

and, at least 5 of the 7 CT characters had to have gone to young Kid's time period before. there were drawings of them in the burning orphanage (Crono is kool, Marle to the rescue, sis Lucca, Robo made the desert green, Ayla strong, grrr, etc.)

so...........?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-04-2004, 11:50 PM
It could be that the orphanage kids just drew those pictures based on Lucca's stories about her adventures. That, or she had a photograph.

Heartless Guardian
02-07-2004, 07:03 PM
I don't really know for sure, but there are occasions where Belthasar showed up with 3 younger kids. The three of them look like younger versions of Chrono, Marle and Lucca, perhaps?

The Man
02-08-2004, 02:01 AM
They are younger versions of Chrono, Marle, and Lucca.

Where in the script does it mention that Lucca dies at Lynx's hand? Obviously she was kidnapped by him, but I didn't think the script actually said her death happened because of him. I always assumed she remained at Chronopolis for the remainder of her life, actually. It seems like the sort of thing she'd want to do.

Also, I thought it quite likely that the person who gave Doc the Hydra Humour to cure Kid was in fact Magus. "Mysterious stranger from the mainland?" Yeah.

Divina
02-08-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by The Man
Where in the script does it mention that Lucca dies at Lynx's hand? Obviously she was kidnapped by him, but I didn't think the script actually said her death happened because of him. I always assumed she remained at Chronopolis for the remainder of her life, actually. It seems like the sort of thing she'd want to do.

It's implied. That's what I managed to pick up, anyway...it's been a while since I last played, so I don't quite remember. ^^0

Originally posted by The Man
Also, I thought it quite likely that the person who gave Doc the Hydra Humour to cure Kid was in fact Magus. "Mysterious stranger from the mainland?" Yeah.

Actually, in one of the endings, it explains that it was Norris who brought the Hydra Humour to cure Kid.

The Man
02-08-2004, 03:20 AM
bah, that would explain why Norris is listed as curing her all over the internet. it would've made sense if Magus were the one who did it though.