PDA

View Full Version : Installing phpBB

Shoeberto
12-18-2003, 09:53 PM
<font color="#009999">
This isn't anything big, but I don't seem to be having much luck.

I'm trying to install phpBB on my 1and1 account, but it can't access the database. I used 1and1's DB manager to create a new one called "forums" for the forums, and when I clicked on the link for integration, I was given two links, one listed for New Entry and the other for Database View.

This is the listing for information on the phpBB install file:
Database Server Hostname / DSN:
Your Database Name:
Database Username:
Database Password:
Prefix for tables in database:

I have the server hostname as localhost, and the prefix was default phpbb_. I just can't figure out what's supposed to go in the other three fields. 1and1 doesn't seem to offer much information for installing these kind of things, either.

So what am I supposed to put into the three middle fields? I've tried using "forums" and the two addresses from the db manager the DB name field, and my administrator account name/password in the username/password spots, but it still says it can't access it.

What am I doing wrong?

Endless
12-18-2003, 10:48 PM
From your admin panel, if there is one, access the database section and note the name of your database. If you have phpmyadmin from your host, you can check there.
The user/pass should be the one that were set up by your host for your database, most likely the same as the site administration ones.
Localhost should work, and keep the default prefix.

Big Ogre Umaro
12-19-2003, 03:22 AM
1and1-specific information:

Go to your 1and1 control panel and under "Contract Selection" select "Select Contract". The preceding was the funniest sentence in this paragraph.

On the left-hand control panel, click on "Web Space" and from that menu click on "MySQL administration." If you've already set up your database (you should only be able to have one), it will display all of the info you need to install phpBB (or, preferably, invisionboard). If you haven't set up a database, then you'll have to go through the back-breaking task of clicking the "Set Up Database" button.

Shoeberto
12-19-2003, 08:58 PM
<font color="#009999">
Yeah, I figured that out on my own after installing phpMyAdmin on my server for no reason >_<

Ah well. S'all good.

Erdrick Holmes
12-25-2003, 08:56 PM
Ok then tell me what I put in here? I uploaded everything like the FAQ said, just tell me what I need to put in the blanks.

Big Ogre Umaro
12-26-2003, 06:59 PM
save your screenshots in full-size png format so I can read it and then we can talk, angst boy.